Tate to be Doctor's new companion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by peeman, Jul 4, 2007.

1. peeman

peeman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6267680.stm

Comedian Catherine Tate is to play Doctor Who's new companion, reprising her role from the 2006 Christmas special, the BBC has announced.
    She will join David Tennant for the complete 13-week run of the new series of Doctor Who, which is due to begin filming in Cardiff later this month.

Freema Agyeman, who played the Doctor's companion Martha Jones in the third series, will return mid-series.

Kylie Minogue will also be starring in this year's Christmas special.

Tate will be returning to her role as Donna, the runaway bride who found herself transported into the Tardis as she prepared for her wedding on Christmas Eve.

The episode, broadcast on BBC One on Christmas Day, attracted an audience of 9.4 million.

Donna was invited by the Doctor to travel with him at the end of the episode, but the invitation was declined at the time.

Tate was asked if she would like to become the Doctor's new companion at the press screening of the Christmas episode to which she replied, "I would love to, but no one has asked!"

Doctor Who's executive producer and head writer, Russell T Davies described Tate as an "absolute star" in The Runaway Bride episode.

"We are delighted that one of Britain's greatest talents has agreed to join us for the fourth series," he said.

"Viewers can expect more ambitious storylines and a whole host of guest stars in 2008."

Catherine Tate said: "I am delighted to be returning to Doctor Who.

"I had a blast last Christmas and look forward to travelling again through time and space with that nice man from Gallifrey."

Agyeman, 28, is to play Martha Jones in three episodes of spin-off show Torchwood, which producers have said will "expand" her character.

She replaced Billie Piper, who left at the end of the second series.

The fourth series of Doctor Who is due to debut on BBC One in Spring 2008.

A Christmas special starring David Tennant and Kylie Minogue will be screened on Christmas Day 2007.

Oh dear god NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

i might have to stop watching, which idiot made this decision, even RTD can't be this much of a burk

2. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I enjoyed her in the Christmas special, but I don't think I'd enjoy her for several episodes. Unless the Doctor spends several episodes trying to get rid of her, but she keeps sneaking back in. Doctor"Why did I give her a key to the tardis?,"

3. Radaphyte

Radaphyte Sanity redefined.

After series 3's 'finale' this is the icing on the cake. Have they got a new staff member who came in at the last moment, planted by ITV to make the show rubbish?

I couldn't stand her in the christmas special. And now I have to put up with her again? :'( I want my mummy. :'(

4. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I read this elsewhere on the internet this morning and thought it was just a joke or another load of tabloid nonsense until I saw it on the actual BBC site.

Worst casting idea since Bonnie Langford. I won't say any more then that because the TFW server would be destroyed in a TCP/IP barrage of rage if I did.

5. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh god.
    We go from a companion who sounded like she was speak through her nose to someone with actual brains to someone with a voice that sounds like a Dalek and look worse.

Great....

6. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Things are certainly gonna be different next season, that's for sure.

7. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Three words:

:banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead: 

8. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

I saw this earlier and just couldn;t bring myself to post it. I mean dear god...

9. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm more disturbed about Kylie Minogue being in the Christmas Special.

10. Scooby.Smokescreen

Scooby.Smokescreen Well-Known Member

I think they are probably aware a full series of Tate would probably bury The Doctor hence the return of Martha during the season.

Why bother with Kylie Minogue I've no idea. They somewhat risk bringing in the gimics too early.

Personally bringing in John Simm was a master stroke after Life on Mars. He really did make The Master enjoyable.

Shame he won't be in the 80s version of Life on Mars. Least Gene is :) 

11. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    ...Well, that's me not watching any of next season. I can't stand this untalented, unfunny, piss-ugly bint. Looks like I'll have an extra free hour on Saturdays. Good work Davies, you fucked yet something else up.

12. peeman

peeman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well hours later and i am still soooooooo angry i want to print this thread out run down to the bbc studios and staple it to RTD's head

anyone live in london?

just a thought that sally girl from "blink" would make a great assistant

13. RabidYak

I'd take 13 episodes of Kylie Minogue over 13 episodes of Catherine Tate any day of the week. At least Minogue just about managed to act 20 years ago and is in fairly decent state for her age, Tate hasen't done anything remotely amusing on TV for people with positive IQ numbers and has a face like a slapped pigs arse splattered across the back of a bus.

You won't find him there, he's probably out having dinnner with Rick Berman.

14. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

The thread title was misleading - Doctor who? (Small capital 'w' intended.) I thought it might be Doctor House. :-( Dr. House > Dr. Who.

15. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    Who's Doctor House?

16. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Hugh Laurie

17. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Damn, this coming season is gonna hafta be real amazing to get me to watch it if Tate is in it.
    No Talent Bitch.

18. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    It's only confusing if you don't know the show. Otherwise you'd immediately realize what it meant.

I really don't understand this decision. I don't know much about Tate, but everything I know leads me to understand she's one of the most hated women in the UK. Why would they hire her full-time?

19. wavelength

wavelength Well-Known Member

send her to utopia, send her to utopia!

20. RabidYak

The driveling hordes love her alledged comedy show, so they probably think that adding her to Doctor Who will make it even more popular over here then it already is.