Tarn's Mystery

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by power3921, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall The original Mad Genius Gunpla and Cow Master

News Credits:
    We know that Killmaster was killed, by Whirl while he was recharging and then Whirl took his wand and shoved it up his... nevermind.

2. Basilisk

Basilisk It will give you infinite pleasure!

Someone said if it's Roller it would be a Winter Soldier like story lol.

So I assume Optimus throws his Axe at Tarn and Tarn grabs it and he opens his mask.

"Roller?"

"Who the hell is Roller?"

Sorry. :lol 

3. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Yeah, totally. Un-dramatic dramatic reveals, just for the sake of a meta-narrative nudgewink, are so over.

Okay, we get it... sometimes the mysterious villain ISN'T your long lost father... he's just some random guy. But really... who the hell actually wants that kind of pay off? That kind of red-herring is so done, so 90s. It's not fresh anymore.

Killmaster is sort of like Heretech... a nobody, who functionally is more of a running joke than an actual character. What I do like is that Roberts has sort of populated his Decepticon Warrior Elite with some big names that we hear from time-to-time... rather than it just being the Phase Six guys we already knew about. It kind of shows that the war has been going on for a long time, and it has costs... and even "super-warriors" like Killmaster and Heretech get skragged sometimes.

When you think about it, Sixshot is the only Phase Sixer left, from what we know. Overlord is presumed to be the last UUT-enhanced warrior, and he never even officially became a Sixer. With Tarn,that makes only three of these guys left, right?

zmog

4. theosteve

theosteve Well-Known Member

That, in my opinion, probably the greatest thing about Roberts' run. His characterization is a bit overrated, IMO, and the plotting has been pretty good, but what has really set him apart is his knack for making a universe for the transformers. He's cleverly created background characters, organizations, social movements, and cultural elements that make this seem like much more than a few dozen characters from our childhood.

5. rodimus_dilbert

rodimus_dilbert Active Member

I still hold firm that tarn is most likely roller. the imposing size, their similar body sections, the side profile on the helmet.. the only thing that makes me feel otherwise is that their dialogues do not add up. the only reason why i don't believe hes ambus is the fact that minimus doesn't have a similar accent in his dialogue. and i do have to say Ive read more than one reference to local cybertronian accents in mtmte's dialouge... I read tarn as dignified in tone and rather jovial.

crap wait.. what if roller is dominus outer shell.. like how minimus had his 2nd layer. i know.. oddball theory right? nahhhhhh. hes probably star saber.

6. Uniclonus

Uniclonus Well-Known Member

Behold! The oddest of the oddball theories about Tarn's identity:

Tarn is Orion Pax (and Optimus Prime is Roller).

We know Prime has been on more than one sabbatical (Thunderclash having carried the Matrix during his first), what if one of those was a cover story to explain his temporary disappearance? Say he snapped under the pressures of war and went all evil. We know he agreed with a bunch of Megatron's pre-war writings, so it would cover Tarn's obsession with Megs' writing.
    We know Chromedome was up to some rather dodgy stuff that Prowl was privy to. Maybe it was Domey shadowplaying Roller, at Prowl's order, to have him fill the roll of Optimus. The Autobots need their leader, their symbol, and it would be just like Prowl to ensure they have one. It would explain why Rodimus said bonding with the Matrix was great while Optimus said it hurt, this Optimus was never meant to have it.

That or Tarn is Thunderclash's evil alter-ego in a luchador mask.

7. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That would be fantastic - some really nice out of the box thinking right there :) 

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Shit man.

This... almost works. Actually, it kind of could work.

Also, welcome to TFW!

9. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Damn that'd be awesome.

Holy Fuck.

If that actually happened.....I think the fandom would explode.

10. gregles

gregles quintesson

Oh my, that sort of works. I kind of would like to see it happen partly for the crazy reaction we will get in the fandom from all those who couldn't deal with/went crazy when the Ultra Magnus reveal happened and also it could have some interesting story potential with Optimus Prime's current almost trusting relationship with Megatron and the times when Optimus has refereed to ultra magnus as old friend have seemed as slightly off to me given the identity change of the Magnus armour.

Welcome from me too, epic first post. You managed to brilliantly and in a more well thought out way, out tin foil-hat theory me and I have had the odd crazy paranoia induced theory about the future direction of mtmte in my time.

11. Honorbound

Honorbound Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Autovolt: That's the understatement of the century, man. An interesting variation on it would be if Roller volunteered for the shadowplay, sacrificing his identity to be the leader the Autobots needed with Orion Pax going traitor. You'd have to explain the size difference between Roller and Orion Pax, but that's just a quick body-modification away.

12. gregles

gregles quintesson

Sell some lie to the believing bovine masses that you get taller when the matrix accepts you as a prime

13. Uniclonus

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Figured if I was going to make a first post, I might as well make it a good one. Yeah, completely insane theory, but given that we have things like an Autobot Megatron, Ultra Magnus being a series of guys in armor, and Prowl as the head of Devastator, no reason we can't have Decepticon Orion Pax.

I forget exactly when I thought up the 'Tarn is Pax' theory, I just know it was a result of all the 'Tarn is Roller' stuff. If we're going for random speculation, let's take it up a notch. It's just as likely a possibility. Possibly even more likely, since Tarn has a transformation addiction yet we haven't even seen if Roller has an alt mode. Meanwhile, back in Spotlight Orion Pax, Pax was introduced to instantaneous conversion by Rack 'n' Ruin.
    Yeah, Pax learns of an unusual form of transformation from a pair who have overworked transformation cogs. No possible way that could be connected to Tarn's excessive need for fresh cogs after repeatedly burning his out...

Given that Magnus being a dude inside another dude wasn't common knowledge until recently, and may still not be, it's entirely possible Optimus doesn't know.

14. gregles

gregles quintesson

Its funny that you brought up spotlight Orion Pax as I remember the Solicits for it at the time made out like its story was going to have some huge knock on affect on the events of Idw and I always found it strange how it seemed a very self contained story with a very alls well that ends well type ending. I know it was because of toy tie in reasons but it is odd how we have spotlights for both Orion Pax and Optimus Prime. Also in the comic Orion bemoaned not having a face plate several times saying how he liked how it moved when he (weaponised?) spoke. This Orion Pax talked blur into saving and was loyal to the douche Zeta. In the comic he quized rack and ruin about their belief in the Decepticon badge and their feelings of pride in it, he also saved the day by burning his transformation cog. Maybe this could be the story of his body change when he first discovered his addiction?

Prowl being behind the lie of using Roller completely makes sense given all the work he put into keeping the symbolic hero that kup is going all this time. It would also explain how prowl has maintained high command in the Autobots for so long despite being clearly being hit by the douche stick too many times.

15. Bumblebee2000

Bumblebee2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    oh that is good!

16. rodimus_dilbert

rodimus_dilbert Active Member

Even in the realm of shadow play, that plot line would border on ridiculous.

17. SMOG

It would also explain why Prowl seems so resentful of Optimus' authority... he knows he's not the real deal, but can't afford to reveal the truth.

Of course, our whole version of Prime sympathizing with Megatron upon their first meeting comes from his recollection of events in Chaos Theory, which means the Shadowplayed Roller would have those same sympathetic leanings, no? You'd also think that if Megatron made Orion Pax his chief enforcer, he would know that Optimus is a fraud.

But whatever... this theory is fun, if not wholly plausible. :D 

zmog

18. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    That plus, and I'm not sure if my recollection is entirely accurate, but didn't the Matrix also address him as Orion Pax before transforming him into Prime (though that can easily be explained away as well)

19. SMOG

Geez... I don't even remember that happening in IDW... was that in Primacy?

zmog

20. Uniclonus

Thanks to the sparkswaping and bodygloving, we never did find out the actual identities of Senator Momus' killers. Who's to say Pax was even in a body that could be identified as him if he showed up at Megatron's doorstep?

And I know the entire theory is ridiculous, insane, wildly implausible, and a certainty to be inaccurate, but that's the fun of it. With all the wacky stuff that's gone on, it's almost impossible to disprove it until we find out the real fate of Roller or who is under Tarn's mask.