Tarn's Identity Revealed MASSIVE MTMTE #55 SPOILER

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by shadow panther, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Nah, I agree that the antimatter is a headscratcher along with the Overlord's departure. I can see a need for it and appreciate a nod to the Marvel UK, but unlike Tarn where hints can be backtracked after you know, with antimatter you really require this Ravage's explanation because hints mentioned by him without this explanation could lead to anything.
    There's nothing comparable to "oh sh**!" moment of hidden in the plain sight like when you compare Glitch's and Tarn's designs.

2. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    Having finally read the issue, this is actually my main gripe with it.
    I hate Megatron being some super sayan Transfromers god, but that didn't start with this issue, and the DJD getting killed was almost certainly a given alltough i had hoped it would have been the gear symbol guys who would swoop in and take them out for whatever reason and i had hoped they would have taken out Megatron and a few other characters that i felt had a lot less potential for future stories than Skids.

But i always felt the Black Box consortium sounded like an awesome space version of the VOC and the Galactic Council as a space UN and felt that they were both great concepts that would give the IDW verse more grounding and be serious alien states or organisations that Cybertron, earth and the Transformers would have to have serious political and economical relations with and that dynamic would be able to fuel a lot of stories.
    So i very much hope this is just one corrupt captain, because it would be yet another terrible waste to see this great concept be wiped from the IDW verse by having the Council be defeated as the big bad of some future seasons finale, probably the next one from the looks of things.

3. theosteve

theosteve Well-Known Member

I'll check it out, thanks for the idea.

I agree, Roberts kept it much more in check the first season, even if it was still much softer than I'd prefer. He really just seemed to let go of the reigns in the second season.

I think a harder Transformers would work. See below.

A fair point. When the IDW Transgormers series started, the -Tion books, I didn't bother with any of the Spotlights. I didn't realize at first they were all connected. That run, the -Tion books in isolation, were very hopeful to me, as they seemed relatively grounded. It wasn't until the -Tion series ended and I realized I had to check out the Spotlights for the whole story that I found the Dead Universe and undead transformers wanting to conquer this universe. I was very disappointed.

AHM, for all its faults, reverted back to a relatively grounded military action adventure, without much intrusive superhero genre stuff.

The first ongoing was again flawed, but until Hot Rod was united with the matrix, and then they reintroduced Galvatron and the dead universe, avoided superhero stuff and stayed fairly grounded.

[EDIT: LSOTW, arguably the most popular of the IDW series, was also very grounded and avoided wacky stuff.]
    Since then, it's been all knights and quests and prophecies and resurrection ores and other space opera or science fantasy stuff.

But the previous works, I think, showed that Transformers can work just fine in a less fantastical vein.

4. Megatron118

Megatron118 I <3 Linkin Park

At least antimatter itself is true science! That counts for something.

5. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Oh, this isn't a before/good vs now/bad equation. Roberts brought me hope for a better, smarter, TF fiction. And he delivered... to an extent. And then he got sort of jiggly and inconsistent.

But the Dead Universe and the magical assortment of coloured Kryptonite - er, Energon Ores - were always things that bothered me.

I think that Sparks are semi-necessary (though it depends on how they are handled); they are sort of one of the key conceits that support the premise of the Cybertronian race.

One thing that bothered me was the 'one fell swoop' elimination of the DJD... I would have much preferred a more individualized 'dwindling party' approach that gave both the DJD and their opponents from the Lost Light more character beats... so you could really feel each victory or defeat as a distinct part of the story. Obviously that wasn't going to happen inside of one issue... but still... that's a pacing issue.

I'm not sure if I want to call it "superhero" stuff, but it's definitely comic-book/pulp/space-opera style writing.

And I don't mind keeping a bit of that. I can embrace it to a degree. But not a dumb or careless or cliche-ridden degree.

I agree that the early Infiltration Furman stuff started off taking a fairly measured and lower-key realistic approach. When he was writing on that level, I found things a bit more interesting. Meanwhile, when Furman lurches into pure cosmic space-opera material like with Stormbringer or his Dead Universe crisis near the end of the run, I just started to lose interest. However, I do suspect that some of that is due to Furman's lapsing into comic-book writing cliches more than simply the presence of fantastical sci-fi tropes.

Yeah, there has been a lot of cosmic McGuffins and such. I don't mind the knights and prophecies so much, at least in terms of it being an investigation of myth-making, religion, and Cybertronian culture. Early on, it had a bit more of that edge. By the time we got to the bleeding-heart fantastical agnosticism of the Necrobot, it was starting to feel that it was a bit too obvious though.

Agreed. In fact, I think that the fantasy elements will ALWAYS sneak in there... so it's a good modus operandi to hold as tightly as possible to the restrained sci-fi aesthetic, and be very judicious about how the fantastical stuff is added. Now it feels like IDW writers have a very free hand with that stuff... too much so.

Although the slightly cluttered storyline of Sins of the Wreckers relied on certain McGuffins, I think that it charted a pretty good course between smart sci-fi, and flamboyant science-fantasy. I liked the built-in logic for Beast-type Transformers (always a hard sell for me)... but unfortunately by the end of the series, it really fell into a soup of surrealist-scifi technobabble, such that I mostly had no idea what was really happening (and started not to care so much).

zmog

6. Splendic

Splendic bleep blorp

Ebay:
    Ah, yes. I remember describing the -tion series as "Ultimate" Transformers when it was running.

I liked what Simon was doing early on. I just can't get behind his character work, or plot pacing. He's a very spotty writer, falling prey to so many eye-rollable cliches, but there are some real interesting story nuggets hidden in there too.

I think the volume of work he was producing eventually took its toll. Shame somebody couldn't have written with him to sure it all up.

And, I agree also, I've always hated the dead universe stuff. Obviously Simon was trying to build some kind of Unicron setup, but then IDW dropped him and turned it into some generic big bad instead. Glad that should be over now (or at least until they rescue Bumblebee from the Dead Universe singularity(?).

7. SMOG

Dead-on appraisal there. :thumb 

I know, right? Unicron, Liege Maximo, Mortilus, D-Void... I gotta say, that's really just too many Ultimate Evil Dark God villains to be running around in one fiction. :p 

zmog

8. mykle1616

mykle1616 Soundie Lover

Ebay:
    My NEW best friend!

You are the FIRST person, 12-13 pages in to this thread, to mention Ravage dying. THANK YOU.

Screw who Tarn is/was/woulda-coulda. What he was was a waste of space. I want to know why there wasn't work being done to try to save Ravage. All eyes (except mostly Nautica?) are glued to the screen.

The real mystery to me is for as long as Cybertronians have existed, how is it they keep dying? Could there not have been a spark removalthat could have been done for Ravage? I'm assuming his spark chamber was in the upper half of his body, or else he would have been dead immediately, or literally talking out his ass. Megatron and Starscream have switched bodies so dang often, there has to be some way to preserve sparks.

Would this be a jumping off issue for me? Yes. For Ravage's death alone. The only saving grace was seeing Megs and Soundie's reactions. And there had STILL BETTER BE ramifications. Plus, I still have Chromie and Rewind and Cyclonus and ...uh, what's his face (brain fart) to connect with. I'm a bit fearful of the near future, tho, as I HATE HATE HATE Headmasters/Targetmasters, and it looks like this is where we're gonna be headed. If this is the case, this may be the only TF comic I can digest (if they keep it fully separated from the Titans crapfest) I just hope a lot of these current plot points don't get swept under the rug....Megatron's lostness, Soundwave's mission of Peace, the Knights...or forgotten by this Titans stuff. Dammit, I'm still along for the ride.

9. theosteve

theosteve Well-Known Member

It's hard to put a finger on exactly what to call it. I suppose I might say that it's the DC/Marvel style, where anything is on the table, and there are no hard and fast rules. If I want that, I can get it from a Marvel or DC comic. I'd prefer something a little more structured elsewhere.

AND
    Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm not holding him up as the ideal writer. Just that the overall style of the -Ation series was initially more in line with the style I prefer for Transformers, and showed that their stories could be grounded and still very "transformers."

Yep. And I’m sure Hasbro is fine with that, perhaps even encouraging that...they don't care about consistency of universe. They're fine with whatever promotes toys.

Good to know. I have refused to buy it until the series was completed and I could get a sense of the atmosphere. Sounds like I'll probably pass on it.

As in Ultimate Marvel?

Sigh. Which they will, of course, do. Because people just can't stay dead in comics.

10. SMOG

Don't get me wrong... it still gets a thumbs-up from me. I think it's strong stuff.

Like Last Stand of the Wreckers, it occasionally leans too far into borderline grimdarkness, but on the whole I think it's very clever, very character-rich material with some great ideas behind it. It's just that by the grand finale, some of those Grant Morrisson-esque touches become a bit disorienting. Overall, I still recommend it.

zmog

11. darondigital

darondigital New Member

Tarn Revealed: Not Mad but could've been more

One of the good things about mtmte are the cliffhangers. Now that it is revealed who Tarn is (which was kind of anti-climatic) I can say I was looking for more. Even if it would have been the obvious Roller, I would have been ok with that but I wish Roberts would have taken it further. I would have loved for Tarn to be trailbreaker as the future him was mesmerized by Megatrons writings and teachings and in mtmte Megatron even told future trailbreaker he has potential. I think Roberts is a talented enought writer that he could have tied it together and made it work better than a bit player who was so minuscule in the tf universe

12. soymonk

soymonk Mathematical!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    But he's dead. How would he have retconned/plotted things out to have Trailbreaker survive? The alternate reality one was dead too.

13. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

Well you know this was the Tarn thread, so....

14. mykle1616

mykle1616 Soundie Lover

Ebay:
    yes. sadly. there soesn't seem to be a Ravage is Dead! thread, or any other thread for this issue. So we have to make do. :p 

15. Ricky Spanish

Ricky Spanish Well-Known Member

Or the fact while Soundwave is caring for Ravage, Blaster doesn't have a soul for what he did to Rewind!

16. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall Gunpla and Cow Master

It's a different relationship in IDW. they've only focused on the Decepticon cassettes because of their place in the Taxonomy forming together around Soundwave. With exception to his SPOTLIGHT cover, Blaster has never been associated with his tapes.

17. Dramatic Spoon

Dramatic Spoon Well-Known Member

Does Blaster even have a relationship with Rewind/Steeljaw in IDW continuity?

18. SMOG

Have we even seen Steeljaw in IDW at all? A walk-on at best, I suspect.

zmog

19. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    him and overkill debuted in the same panel and then neither of them showed up again.

20. Dramatic Spoon

Dramatic Spoon Well-Known Member

He popped up back in Issue #12 as a member of the Crew when they were liberating Temptoria.

He's with Skids and Chromedome when they're fighting Overkill.