target store manipulation

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Vexxet, Feb 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    So, it's not just you. Others do it as well.

So what ARE the positive results?

2. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

You get to practice driving.

3. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    So, you're wasting fuel and money so you get more toys?

How evil of you. :lol 

4. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's a great idea! I think I'll start returning Armada Sideswipes in ROTF Optimus boxes and buying all the Generations Kups and Scourges and sell them for ridiculously high prices, too!
    Wait...

5. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Dude... are you in the wrong thread?

6. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Let's say this could work for a moment. You're still screwing yourself in the long run.

Yeah, you finally got your hands on this wave or assortment, but the next one will be coming. And there won't be room for it either. What do you do then? Buy 'em up and move 'em again? Sure. You could do that, but it's just going to have to be done again, and again.

The cycle will never stop. This is why Target has Clearance. Let them handle their own stock. It's not your place to do so.

I understand you're frustrated, I do. I am too, but this is not the answer. Taking overstock from one store and giving it to another is just going to make the problem worse.

Plus, they'll figure out what you're doing here, and start banning you from returns. They can refuse service at any time, for any reason.

Now, if it was one or two figures, that's one thing, it's not the end of the world, and it might help someone in another district, but what you want to do is just wrong. It's not illegal, it's probably not even immoral, but it's just shitty.

7. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    /thread

8. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, I'm using sarcasm to employ the fact that I personally think that is a dirty way to go about acquiring figures. While Store A profits from this method, Store B loses money because they pay you for a figure they didn't sell you, plus they end up with potentially dozens more shelfwarmers. PLUS, collectors who frequent Store B get screwed because some jerk keeps dumping more shelfwarmers on them, and it takes a long time for most Targets I've been to to clearance things. Now I guess I know why I only keep seeing more and more Tuner Mudflaps show up at my Walmart, it's because of people like this. It's just as manipulative as scalping or toy swapping. Heck, the OP even calls it "manipulation."

9. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Briefly the owner of KB Toys

News Credits:
    By your own logic that hurts someone elses job...whoever doesn't work at your "chosen" store....translating into reduced hours for folks who are simply trying to do their own job because the OP feels butthurt he can't find Kup quickly enough.

10. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Yeah. Pretty much.

So it's more moral to *not* manipulate the system and simply allow the 1 store to languish?

And How will more and more online buyers help the retailers, or the distribution of figures?

11. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

Although it is a good idea,it's just way too much work to get the figures that will eventually be found everywhere.

12. Dragonclaw

News Credits:
    Just because the newest hottest wave of Transformers hasn't hit the OP's favorite store doesn't mean that the store is languishing at all...just means he feels entitled and needs to be the first kid on the block with the new toy. Most parents and kids don't have the NEED for the newset toy (especially when it comes to Generations and RTS characters that they don't know as well anyway).

If anyone feels that butthurt that they feel the need to waste gas and manipulate numbers over finding toys at a store immediately...and taking it to levels that are possibly hurting other people's jobs over his wanting toys than 1) he needs THERAPY, and 2) he SHOULD order online where he might pay $3 more for a figure but if he used more than a gallon of gas he's money AHEAD...it's not too hard to find "free shipping" deals and discount codes. Most stores would rather that then the payroll spent making the sale at one store and the payroll spent taking the return and restocking the shelves with your unwanted product on the other end...

13. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    the second part of your post fails to answer my question:
    if you are out to protect the retailer by telling the OP to buy online, then how does that help either retailer?

Personally, I think anyone who displays sp much visceral anger and loathing over someone they never met over something so trivial... which might not even be wrong in the first place... needs some one-on-one time themselves.

14. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Just seems like a big waste of time considering you wait a couple of weeks and that store will have newer figures.

15. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    It's an effort that I wouldn't make.

However, that couple weeks comment can be way off the mark. Try a couple months in some areas.

Personally, I'm considering buying online... but that will help my area even less than buying product from my town and returning it to another.

16. stepsongrapes

stepsongrapes Well-Known Member

The impact OP intends far exceeds the benefit to Target of a handful of collectors' mixed purchases. He's talking about distorting the ordering quantities of the entire TF section for the two given stores.

Those two stores are both much better off losing a handful of sales from these specific collectors than having the regional quantities of their TF orders distorted by artificial demand. Heck, other posters more knowledgeable about Target policy have already articulated how Target has safeguards in place against such distortion, both on the supply-ordering side and on the customer return side. The existence of these safeguards tells you all you need to know about Target's stance on this type of behavior. The lost employee time that OP plans to rack up (re-stocking items on shelves, processing returns) probably far exceeds the tiny profit he contributes with his handful of sales.

In other words, if you essentially smash up their whole display to make your one purchase, I'm sure the retailer would much rather you take your business elsewhere.

17. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Working in Wal Mart myself, I just don't see it that way at all.

While one store does get stacked up, the other actually gets sales (now) and put on the fast(er) track toward future sales. From where I stand, the positive exceeds the negative... if only a little bit.

18. ServO

ServO Seeker (I look for stuff) Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ha this thread is enjoyable.

I wonder...in the 80's...were there people running around to multiple Targets trying to track down various waves of G1 figures?
    Dang...I wish I had a time machine...if only to wander around an old Target for a couple of hours...

19. Dragonclaw

News Credits:
    Yep, Transformers are sold in Target (and WalMart) close to cost...and sometimes even at a loss in the first place (Big box stores make very little in departments like toys because they make most of their margin in areas like clothes and food...). So the time and effort to have employees dealing with said "customer" who isn't a monetary benefit in the first place (sale made...minus return...minus labor costs to deal with). It's not that hard to say "it's FAR better if you take your 'business' elsewhere" since all you are doing is wasting a lot of people's time and in the long AND short term that Transformer has now LOST money for the company even if it does sell due to the extra company labor involved in handling it.

We've already gone over how it doesn't help, how you may be hurting other people's JOBS just so you can get a TOY sooner, how you are hurting other collectors by messing up their local store for your convenience, and how there is a lot of potential that it could actually hurt the line itself if stores see the trends and say "well, it's not as profittable, let's make sure to order less in the future", which could hurt the jobs of our friends at Hasbro. As someone who's job it was to follow trends and make company decisions based on it he isn't some random guy, he's a guy who would have been making MY job harder as well....I stand by my statement, that anyone who sees all these factors and says "Screw ALL those people because I want my Kup NOW" has some major issues they might need to look at.

Bellpeppers, I have to aske since you said yourself, you work at Walmart...if someone was doing this TO your store and your hours were being affected (cut) by it hapenning on a large scale, and your store wasn't recieving product because of it what would your opinion of this practice be?

20. RamenJunkie

RamenJunkie Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    You know what's easier? If you scan something it'll tell you if there are more in the stockroom. Find and employee and ask if you can get the other case from the back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.