Target Rant... (Customer Side)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Codimus Prime, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

This originally came from Galactic Hunter.com... saw it over at Coreplanets.com. Figured since a lot of us are out shopping and we hit Target for our toy fixes...

I can relate to this, but mostly at TRU on Mid Rivers Mall Driver in St. Peters, MO.

I was in today looking at Marvel Legends (on my lunch break of course). I'm really only looking for the variant of Iron Man and I know it's going to be a tough search. I see that they have the MODOK wave in stock. So I peruse the pegs, and come up with nothing. I start lifting the lids on the overhead storage compartments (from what a coworker tells me this a "no no" but I did it anyway) to see what else they had up there because they didn't have at least 1x of everybody. Sure enough they have some other figures up there. I start handing them down to the rack, checking them and replacing them. I've made it through a couple of bins when a older gentleman sporting the TRU shirt and communicator headset appears in the aisle. He asks "Can I help you find anything." At this point I only had my hand up there, he hadn't really caught me taking stuff down. I say "Yes, I'm looking for one figure. And I'm having trouble finding it." To which he replies "I'm sure it's the same one everyone else is looking for." He disappears. Fine. Piss on that place. He was absolutely 0 percent help.

This also reminds me of my last TRU experience at the same location. I came in with my co-workers looking for wave 1 of the TF Classics. Luckily I find Bumblbee, Rodimus, and Starscream. I felt bad because my buddy Jason also kinda wanted them too, but they only had an extra Bumblebee. But, anywho. I check the overhead for extras to remedy the lack of duplicates. None. Also no Voyager class either. So I check the next bin with the huge Transformers logo on it. Nothing. We walk to the front counter and I begin the checkout process. The clerk proceeds to tell me that he also wanted these TF's. Almost as if I should just hand them over. I said "Nope. Not today." Or something witty. My coworkers thought I was cold to the point of being funny. Tough shit on his part. I'm sure he saw them in the stock room. They will get more. He shouldn't be asking customers not to buy stuff that they want.

Not that anyone cared to hear those stories, I just wanted to get them off my chest. I've never worked in WM, TRU, or Target. I have however worked retail at a Mom and Pop store called Hanners Wholesale. I learned a lot about customer service there. If a customer asked me a question, I tried my best to answer it. Even if it meant sending them to another store because I knew we didn't and never would have it in stock. I would also make trips to the back stock for them.

Just remember, if you're nice... hopefully you'll be treated nicely. If not, no holds are barred.

I'm talking to you F#*%@#$ at TRU.

2. butz

butz slippery when wet

Whatever.

3. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Heh. A friend of mine who was a fellow collector used to get together every now and then, and we'd hit about 2 dozen stores in a day, hunting for whatever was on our lists. He actually carried boxcutters, and if he saw a pallatte with what he wanted, he'd just cut it open and take what he wanted. One time at TRU, he was caught doing it. The employee asked what he was doing, and my friend said, "Just getting what I came here for, thank you." I had a good laugh at that one.

I've got to admit, I've never had a hard time buying toys, though it seems at Target, the employees are mostly interested in talking to one another rather then any employee.

4. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Being a former Target employee (Quit, I just couldn't take the incompetence and retarded scheduling problems of our "team leader") I can sympathize.

5. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

If the employee is nice, I will be very nice and thankful, just for the employees effort and politeness. If the employee is rude and doesn't want anything to do with me, I am the worlds worst customer. I will get what I want if they start to be rude, they always cooperate when I threaten to speak to the manager.

6. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

The customer is wrong a lot of the time. Sorry, but they are. Granted, you should still try your best to be polite and helpful to them, but at the same time they need to realize that "the customer is right" is not dogmatic law, and throwing things at the sales clerk won't change that.

Yeah, this post may seem more or less pointless, but since my own expereinces in the world of retail, the whole "customer is always right and therefore must be treated like a god" thing has been a pet peeve of mine.

7. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

I've been on both sides of the issue (I worked in a TRU during part of high school). I try to be polite to the guys working at the stores now as I tried to be polite to the customers when I was working. Sometimes the guy working at the store is right, sometimes the customer is right. My point is this, either way I was always the one who was right. ;) 

8. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Only problem I have at Target is trying not to stare at the chicks in the khaki pants

9. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Exactly my main problem with Target right now. I got a job there and my schedules are all over the place. Only does the one next week seem decent. This week my schedule was/is: (i had the flu and missed sunday and monday)

Sun 5-12a (actually would be more like 1-2am because of it being closing time)
    Mon 1:30 - 10pm
    Tues 11 - 7:30pm
    Fri 11 - 7:30pm
    Sat 5-12a

Now I'm seeking a job elsewhere. At least I get a employee discount card to save a little here and there..

10. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Target doesn't seem as bad as WM or TRU. A few times at WM I waited around a bit to find an employee to get something from a high shelf. Not finding one, I grabbed the ladder located at the end of the aisle, and started climbing it myself. That brought the employees in a hurry! They told me 'You can't do that, sir.' I said, 'It looks like I already am,' grabbed my toy, and left.

-Tony!

11. butz

butz slippery when wet

Isn't that like, all of them? I have the same problem.

12. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Nice.

I think every one has there own collector= bad story.

I remember going to wal-mart and being yelled at by a female associate for opening a box of armada mini-cons and grabbing one. I was so pissed after, I felt like a kid being berated for stealing cookies. I mean, come on, they are selling stuff. I wanted to buy stuff. They just never put the damn stuff out on time.

I also always get the stink eye from employees at the local TRU. You would think that they would like a customer who had been buying stuff at that place for 17 years. I know it better than most of the employees.

13. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    To be honest, I've never had a problem with a rude Target employee. Maybe the one I go to just happens to have super nice employees, but they have always been helpful. If you approach them and ask a question in a kind manner, they should be nice to you.

Walmart, on the other hand, is full of dicks.

14. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

You'll get over it, because without customers there would be no retail. Don't like arse-puckering? Don't work in retail my friend. The customer isn't always right, money is and the customer is the one handing over the money... You do the math chico.

15. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

To be honest most people at Target don't know of exclusives until they get them in the stores, open the boxes and see the Target Exclusive markings (if there are any) on the box. Its not a pushed or promoted thing for toys. Toys is also one of the lowest departmenst as far as sales go. They cater more towards Entertainment (movies) and Health and Beauty since they are constatly trading the top spots as far as sales goes (My store had a 19% Entertainment sales with toys being in the lower single digits). The policy for no backroom sales isn't to deter collectors, its in place so everyone , collector or parent, has an equal chance to get an item they want.

Target also does want to conserve stock for any sets. It looks bad when you go into and see a new section/endcap set with no product (its also a big No No from the corporate all the way down to the regional managers who tour the stores on a regular basis).

16. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

Ebay:
    Adam May sounds like one giant fucking tool.

Heaven forbid a retail outlet would streetdate product to ensure it's in stock during the week it's advertised in the circular. There are other people besides collectors who might want to buy a shuttle, but might not be as resourceful as the collectors who get the DPCIs months in advance and know it's coming, so when they see it in the circular and come down to the store and it's out of stock because it was being sold out of the backroom to collectors and scalpers.

The collectible policy is a no-win situation IMO, because Target is damned if they do and damned if they don't in the eyes of many collectors. If I had any say in corporate policy (which of course I don't), I'd say just throw out the collectible policy except on Target exclusive merchandise. Losing sales to wal-mart or TRU because we won't pull a figure is one thing, losing sales to another Target is another.

Bitching about resets is retarded. There are at least 5 target employees, myself included, who post regularly on rebelscum.com and we always tell people resets DO NOT happen on Saturdays, so going in on the "reset date" most likely will leave you unhappy since the reset date is merely the first date of the week the reset is supposed to happen.

Anyone quick to point out how my first paragraph totally contradicts what I said in PS3 thread and wants to call me a hypocrite, don't worry, I know. ;) 

17. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    As one of the many worker drones for Walmart, I can say with some accuracy that people (in general) are fucking MORONS with little to no idea what they actually need. I've done the Electronics thing a few times, and I can't begin to tell you how many people come looking for a game system, and make wild assumptions (My favorite was the couple wanting an XBOX and then wanting to play a Mario game on it).

On the other hand, by and large, Walmart is staffed by people just trying to get by, and many have simply become bittered by the whole retail thing, if they even gave a shit to begin with.

I try my best to provide as best customer service as I can, but it gets very hard when you are met with unreasonable people day and night.
    (For the record, I'm convinced that the 3 times I worked electronics, we sold easily an extra $100 or more of merchandise because I offered help)

18. butz

butz slippery when wet

Silly to rant about in the first place- Every Target I've been to lately (at least 3 of them) has had ass loads of those shuttles.

19. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Wow, at the local Walmart the employees actually try to avoid customers. I've never heard of an employee with a spine.

20. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

I didn't choose this article because of the shuttle availability. I understand street dates, and they should be available on the day they are on sale.

I wait till stuff is on the shelf. Or at least in the box next to where they are going to stock it.