Target Card

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ktulu, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So, upon checkout today at Target the cashier asked me the typical "Do you want to save 10 percent with a Target Card" line. Being really tight on cash, and believing it to be your typical "store member card" I agreed. It was too late when I realized I had just signed up for a glorified Visa. Gonk.

I'm really thinking of just canceling it, and I feel I should, but just to check, do you any of you guys have these or have you had one in the past, and if so is it a total bitch that's going to suck my money dry with interest payments and such?

I feel silly.

2. maximus prime3

maximus prime3 Banned

close it, credit cards suck

3. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I pretty much think I will, I never had any interest or intent in signing up for a damn credit card. As stated, gonk.

4. maximus prime3

maximus prime3 Banned

glad i could help

5. butz

butz slippery when wet

I have one, and haven't had any problems with it (don't have a lot on it though). I'd say pay back what you just put on it and close it; you won't be out any money other than what you would've spent anyways.

6. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

Just pay it off in full every month, then you don't have to worry. No reason to pay interest on a credit card.

7. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I got one as well. Thing is, I had to file bankruptcy a couple years ago so it's good for me to have so I can start rebuilding credit. It has no annual fee and a 30 day grace period. Just pay it off every month and it'll cost you nothing.

8. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Or, just don't use it at all! I had a Kohl's card for years, and I only used it once...at the time that I signed up for it...to save 10% on $300 worth of shit.

9. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

I always tell them no thanks as I give them a toothy grin, whip out my platinum Mastercard (that I could ostensibly charge a Porsche on) and laugh as they are temporarily blinded by the combined gleam.

10. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

^^ no joke. A guy that I work with bought a $30,000 minivan a couple years ago, got one of those credit card deals that advertises balance transfers with 0% interest for the life of the balance, and then transferred the minivan loan to the card and stopped using the card (you have to pay interest on any normal purchases you make with the card)! Woot! Instant 0% car loan!

11. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

If you do have a Visa, the Target Visa is not a bad choice.

12. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Brilliant!

I've done the 0% interest balance transfer to another card before (and then never used the card for anything else), but never thought to do it for a car. Must keep this ploy in mind instead of reflexively shredding all the CC offers that come in the mail.

American Express Blue has a real hard-on for me. I've gotten an offer every 2-3 months for, like, 2 years.

13. CheetahDC

CheetahDC Well-Known Member

You can close the card at guest service.

14. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    After you get your 10% off, close the card. Then wait a while and open one again to save another 10%. I'm not sure how long you have to wait though.

15. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have one, but mine is just the store card, not the visa version. But I already have a visa,mastercard, discover, and JCPenny card. The only card with any balance on it is the discover, because I get cash back. They aren't bad for emergencies, and when used responcibly.

Actually have a Paypal credit and Dell credit too, just for in a pinch, I don't see the problem with Credit cards as long as you keep up woth payments and ahead of the interest.

I keep all my bills and dates they are due and ammounts due in a file on my computer so I can check everything and remind myself. I try to keep a few weeks ahead of the due dates, to keep me from inadvertantly spending the money.

16. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

Ebay:
    You can close it. Or you can make all your purchases with it, pay off the balance each month so you don't pay interest, and get 10% on a day of shopping for every $1,000 you spend. It's no different than using a debit card if you exercise self control when you use it.

If you have kids in school you can also select their school to get 1% of all your purchases donated to that school through a program with the Target Visa.

Ah, I never forgot my cashier roots.