Target: 2008 - Where to go from there?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Nightrain, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    In the thread asking why you're excited about the movie, I pondered at the end of my response where they will go for the next generation.

I'm going to pretend for discussion's sake, that the "movie line" or whatever we are going to see, will be produced until late 2008. At that point, they will introduce a new direction for the brand *pauses for groans*.

The current batch of consumers are getting older. They will quit buying toys soon. Hasbro has to introduce a fresh idea for the next batch of victims.

I ask you, transfans, what should they do? We have seen a couple generations of Earth-based vehicles, a generation of beasts, and now we are capping off another generation of Earth-based vehicles. Do they go back to beasts again? What else can they do?

2. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

Bring back things like cameras, video cameras, tape decks, phones, things that really made good camoflage. heck even a plant transformer or two. even try books, fax machines, things like that. i know im crazy

3. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Wow, that's a real toughy. Hmmm, triple changers with robot, beast and vehicle modes? Like the Horrorcons, Transmetals etc?

Or perhaps an entire line of combiners, with beasts, construction, military, cars, etc.

Maybe a line of figures like Armada Overload or Brestforce, Minicons piloting larger mech suits, perhaps interchangable ones?

GF/Cybertron was cool because it had a little of everything. It's also a clever marketing exercise, if they could possibly track which type of alt modes were more popular and use that in future plans.

4. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

Maybe a line of beasts that turn into vehicles!

5. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

Less Plastic Toys more METAL!!!!!!!!

6. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

my guess is that 2007 will also launch the movie-tie-in cartoon, which will go on thru 2008 and into 2009. So we'll see more of the movie cast and whatever new characters it introduces in the year or so after the movie.

7. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    neo-pretenders!!!

8. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    YUS! THAT'S RIGHT FOLKS! SEND THE BOOKS! (props to those that remember the energon prime KO)

seriously, I think that with the accompanying line to the movie (Neo G1), they can keep going. If they play the cards right, the line can last for years like Dragonball did... or Star Trek TNG, or any other successful series. The main thing that kills ideas like this is when Hasbro tries to change the series every 10 months or so. for example...

Beast Machlines - Battle for the Spark - RiD - Armada - Unicron Battles - Energon - Powerlinx Battles - Cybertron - Primus Unleashed

Okay folks, it's only early 2006, BM premiered in mid to late 2000... that's 9 series... not even counting alternators, Universe, etc... They're trying to be a jack of all trades, yet a master of none. If they keep changing things like that, kids aren't going to have much chance to get attached to the characters. It's gonna become more like Barbie...., something that I absolutely forbid. GI Joe is the same way.

GIJoe vs. Cobra - Spy Troops - *I can't remember a few* - Sigma 6

If they would just start this new series, and find a way to prolonge it, then kids would grow up being able to associate with a set series, and wouldn't have to worry about confusing alternate realities, paint scheme, homages, etc.....

I honestly can't say where the line will go after the movie(s), but I do know this... If hasbro keeps up the trend they've had in the past few years, then like 1990, Transformers will die..... again.

9. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I think it's highly doubtful the movie line will last until late 2008. Movie tie-ins don't get produced for 18 months. I think we're talking 6-7 months TOPS for that line...long enough to keep product on the shelves through the DVD release. So, I expect whatever comes post movie, we're talking late 2007/early 2008.

Now, with that....it's hard to say. There will be a kid's focused series...whether that is something tieing into the movie or an entirely new continuity remains to be seen. I do think at this point it will cut ties with the Armada/Energon/Cybertron universe. Alternators may or may not still be around. If the Neo G1 line is a success, they might support that with more new toys (Much like the Star Wars vintage line has done).

10. DeathFrogurt

DeathFrogurt The frogurt is cursed!

Aren't there plans for a cartoon based on the movie-verse, and a corresponding toyline? I assume that means we'll have a series or two of recognizeable movie characters in realistic vehicle forms, padded out with other G1 characters. Then they'll introduce some line-wide gimmick, the vehicles will get less realistic, the cartoon will be dubbed, and we'll be about where we are now.

And if the past is any indicator, Prime will be a truck who can combine with multiple Autobots and there'll be a brash Cheetor/Hot Shot type character, with Megatron and Starscream heading up the Decepticons.

I think they'll stick with vehicles though, because it's not the eco-friendly 90's anymore.

11. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Normally you're absolutely right about movie tie-ins. I would argue that because the movie is based on the toy brand, the circumstance is a little different. But that's neither here nor there.

The piloting thing is an interesting idea. I always wondered why Takara never tried to revive Diaclone. I could see fandom outrage though. I mean, how dare the flesh creatures control our beloved Transformers(Headmasters is a little different).

The idea I've had for the longest time, and I'm sure others have as well, is being able to take a standard figure(think Microman) and attach parts, or "armor", to it to form different transformations. If they could create a system for that, the possibilities are limitless.

12. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    By piloting, I was thinking more along the lines of Japanese Headmasters or Star Saber, smaller robots controlling the larger robots. Not humans per se, perhaps a Juniors subline with 3 kid pilots at most. That worked well in Masterforce, it would be even cooler with Minicon-style articulation.

13. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

More than likely it will follow the Men in Black/Batman: TAS formula of loosely appearing to be based on the movie in some manner, but will expand on it in such a way that it can be used to create another 18-24 months of toys all on it's own. Or maybe they will stretch that continuity out into two or three TV series (ala A/E/C) until they can get a sequel to the film out.

And since Hasbro will be helming the movie AND the next TV series, they'd have a fairly easy go at keeping the storyline straight pretty well in advance. They could well be in early planning stages of the 2007 TV series and toys as we speak.

Honestly, I can't fathom Hasbro *finally* getting a real Transformers movie out there and then just ignoring that basic set-up the next year for some new and radical departure from what people will clearly be expecting. Especially if the movie is a sucess. You can't tease people with one vision of TFs and then give them another the next year. Common sense alone should say that.

14. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Honestly, the true problem in a good new direction for the series as a TV show is always in constant opposition to the toy line. One has to be superior to the other and the other follows. IE the TV show calls the shots and the toys are a reflection of the show or the toy line calls the shots and the TV show is a reflection of the toys. As Hasbro is a toy company and own the rights to Transformers, the TV show will forever be subservient to the toy line. What revived this series tho was when the toy line butted out and let a good story actually develop from the TV show (Beast Wars).

I think Hasbro has to realize that its the story that sells the Transformers. Gimmicks and what not won't help continue the series. You don't really need something new or different for the next series. You can just have great plots and subplots. Some good character development, good plot, and good stories will keep this going for a long time. To do that though, the writers need creative lee way like they did in Beast Wars. You didn't see stupid anime brats running around in that yet kids totally bought up the toys. You didn't see Hot Shot, Megatron replaced by Galvatron, and all the old names. You saw cool characters like Rat Trap and Dinobot. Each had a weird personality. Please Hasbro, you have something on your hands that is greater than just a toy line. Let a new generation creatively add quality to the series.

Anyways, the Transformers dying again isn't necessarily a bad thing. It'd be a lesson to the marketing stiffs of what is really important. Hasbro would back off and hopefully a new group can inject the life and energy into this series that it needs. Will anyone really miss bratty kids, horrible plot, and boring characters?

15. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

I'm hoping for Transforming GI-Joe tanks and planes. I would love a transforming HISS tank.

16. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

I don't think it's been said yet, but what about a move to Cybertron entirely with "original"/new/futuristic alt. modes. Really open their minds over at Hasbro and get some really neat-looking stuff churned out that bear little resemblance to modern Earth vehicles. I'm talking spaceships, car-like hover vehicles (G1 cartoon Cybertronian modes), hell, maybe even bring back the space-gun concept. The sky's the limit when dealing with non-realistic modes. We've seen some of these things over the years, so I don't see why it couldn't happen for a whole line with the exception of the fact that they called the current line "Cybertron".

17. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    You speak of a War Within line basically. I think everyone here would be ecstatic to see that.

I wonder if they should try a Consumer Goods vs Military Hardware thing, with the Quints in charge.

18. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I like the triple changing to vehicle, robot and beast modes. Kind of like Apeface and Snapdragon....without being headmasters.

19. butz

butz slippery when wet

Do the mixed thing: a few beasts, a few vehicles, a few role play type TFs. Whatever they end up doing, I just want to see them work with a new set of characters.

20. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I was bored, so I came up with this.