Taobao questions....

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ExtremeGz, Apr 27, 2010.

1. ExtremeGz

ExtremeGz Autobot/Decepticon Spy

Ebay:
    Anybody have any experience using Taobao auctions? I thought that it was like Ebay so that everyone bid on items and such but from what I see the prices are fixed. But even if the item is listed and for a certain price...the item may not even be in stock. To assist with understanding this site although I cannot read chinese, I have attempted to use TaobaoDirect but they keep telling me that certain items are never in stock from the listers.

I am looking for a Alternity Red Convoy for a decent price...but no matter which ones I submit for purchase (usually the lower priced ones), they are never in stock. Anybody else have similar issues.....

ExtremeGz

2. zealottoyou

zealottoyou Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Most of the time sellers never bother to delist the items already sold, there is no obligation on the listing. and you don't bid on taobao, you just buy.

3. ExtremeGz

ExtremeGz Autobot/Decepticon Spy

Ebay:
    Wow, didn't know that....thanks. But, if they don't bother in delisting their sold items then how does anyone know if they have it or not via the listing? So, in theory there could be 20 listing for an item but only one or two valid?

4. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    only way really to find out is if you translate the page through google to see what that page says about the staus of items. but like zealottoyou said it still may say in stock. best thing you can do is keep searching and put an order in and hope they have that item available.

you could also try using a proxy for yahoo japan, but those fees can add up and buy the end of it you might as well have ordered it from off ebay but you can always try.

it is harder to search on a proxy through yahoo japan as the language is much different. on taobao you can type pretty much anything in english and find it.

5. zealottoyou

News Credits:
    One method I always use is that if there is only one in stock, I assume it is invalid listing. You can always check with the seller though, even they don't always speak english.

6. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    Woah, haven't you heard?? They've tons of sh*tloads of tons of sh*tloads of exclusives that were listed since ancient time! :lolol 

*Reminded of all those Botcon Dreadwings & SG Primes that's going for USD $30 or even lesser*

And the Sellers will likely tell you that those items were either:

1) NO LONGER IN STOCK

2) UPCOMING PREORDERS, but the funny part is, they will never be available therefore routing you back to #1 again.
    :lol 

Also, be VERY AFRAID that you MAY end up as a potential victim of fraud as taobao does not utilise/acknowledge PayPal services. You'll be lucky if some of 'em have even heard of PayPal being in existence. :redface2: 

7. zealottoyou

News Credits:
    To their defense, they do have their own way of making payment. Essentially you pay the seller via the system, the money stays in the system and will only be released if you click the "item received" buttom. Further just curious have you had any particular bad experience for such comment? For your point 2, i placed a pre-order for henkei optimus prime and got it for like $20. The acutually price is about $35 but the seller still honored the pre-order price. It is all about choosing a reputable seller just like on ebay.

8. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    You bet I did! :cry 

Was communicating/liasing with one of the Sellers over there as I'd some plans for a rather huge shipment of loose toys/pre-releases. We were into talks about payment using PayPal (I had to get myself covered) only to have the Seller asking me a whole load of questions about what it is, how it works etc.

So after spending a good hour typing him/her a detailed reply, they got back to me saying that they won't utilise that system because they felt it wasn't "appropriate" as PayPal will involve some fees but most importantly, put 'em into a tight situation whereby they'll have to refund/credit back your payment when goods ended up in non-receipt state.

Told me to pay via other channels but I refused as PayPal will help protect Buyer's interest. Then asked if I've got some middle-man in China that could deal on my behalf & I replied no.

Again, asked if I could arrange for someone to fly over there to deal upfront so I was thinking ":wtf: "

Next, I was anticipating that they will come down to a single option & that is asking me to self-collect the shipment at their doorstep or something but man, I was greatly disappointed that it didn't happen. :eek: 

Sent me a reply next day saying that they would rather sell to some others instead of going through all that hassle. So I was thinking: "Ok great, I'll take my shopping elsewhere" so I dismissed the thought of the whole purchase thingy altogether...

Guess what happened next?

A few of us were having a late-night chat session one day & one of my guys revealed to me that the item was NEVER available for sale in the first place! How did he know? Well, he enquired about the same lot of items (a month or 2 ago) & got words from the same exact Seller! A reply that's sounds like "Oh, we couldn't obtain the said items from the factory"

*Faint!*

9. zealottoyou

News Credits:
    sorry to hear that. It all down to choose a reputable seller. The rating system works as heart < diamond < crowon. Generally i only buy stuff from sellers with two diamonds or higher.

As for paypal, can't really blame them not taking it since they have their own payment system.

10. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    For proxy services, I can't recommend Yokatta Shopping/EX Japan enough.

11. DarthMagnificus

DarthMagnificus Banned

not to hijack this thread...once you place an order and send payment #1 usually how long before they request the payment# 2 to request the shipping of your order?

i placed an order on 4/20...sent payment via the system and it still shows processing/ just curious...

12. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    once you have paid for your order it means that the seller has responded and has the items. you have now paid for them and whatever service you are using is now waiting for those said items to arrive to them.

once received, packaged and weighed with all your items you will receive a shipping notice for what you have received. once you pay that they will ship your items.

it all just really depends how fast the seller sends your service you used, your items.

13. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member