Heavy/Scratch: Tantrum - Don't throw one, rebuild one!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by TheDevastator, May 3, 2008.

1. TheDevastator

TheDevastator Decepticon

Like Headstrong, the original Tantrum toy left much to be desired. While I don’t think he’s the best looking one of the bunch, I’m very pleased with how he turned out.

Heads: I’m not really sure how the robot head came about. All I can remember clearly is that I didn’t want the neck to look too long. I added a Mini-con joint to allow his face to flip over for beast mode. I also glued some rectangular shapes to the sides of his face so it would look slightly more cartoon accurate and hide some of the elongated beast mode neck. For the beast mode I added a Mini-con joint to the jaw so it could open and close. I used the same Mini-con joint for Tantrum’s beast mode neck as I did Headstrong.

Arms: Like Headstrong, they're virtually un-modifed Alternators Skids arms. I added the backs of the original Tantrum’s forearms so to make him slightly more show-accurate but also to cover up the robot arms better in beast mode. I unscrewed the arms and swapped them around so the screws and hands would face the directions desired.

Legs: For the robot mode legs I added joints from Energon Strongarm and Beast Wars Fuzor Noctorro. Energon Strongarm was the only kitbash kibble figure I had that had a leg spread small enough to fit inside of Tantrum’s body. I used Noctorro knee joints for Tantrum’s knee joints both for the color and because I had to do SOMETHING with the junker Noctorro figure I’ve had for the past few years.

Attached Files:

2. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    It's to bad Headstrongs arms could not fold up as nicely as this one.
    Really great job.

3. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Its amazing how much different he looks from the original now.

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I've always been a fan of the original Predacon toys, but your custom makes the original look just . . . well, lacking. I especially like how the added articulation helps out the alt mode. Great work man! :thumb 

5. Ptitvite

Ptitvite Construction worker

This is again, an amazing piece but I find the legs to be a bit short compared to his torso. Anyways, I know you did whatever was possible to improve the toy and I'll never do any better.

6. TheDevastator

TheDevastator Decepticon

Nemesis Predaking: Thanks! I agree with you about the arms. I originally contemplated not adding the forearm shields, but I changed my mind when I saw how they improved the overall appearance in beast mode.

Redline and Superquad7: Thanks and I'm amazed as well. I wasn't sure how well this figure would turn out because his proportions were so awkward. I'm rather pleased with how he turned out.

Ptitvite: Yeah, the legs do look a bit short but they're the same length as the original legs. I couldn't really do much to improve their appearance because they still had to fit inside of Tantrum for his alt modes. I designed the hind animal legs to flip around to the sides of his shins to give the illusion of bulkier legs.