Customs: Tamiya Metallic Color question

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by brawl 56, Oct 3, 2009.

1. brawl 56

brawl 56 Aw..crap!

News Credits:
    Hey everyone!
    Hopefully I´m right here...well I´ve got a problem with those Tamiya-Metallic-Colors... everytime I try to paint some parts with them the color decomposed in silverflakes and some colorflakes. Now it´s logical that the result looks damn terrible.
    Now comes my question:
    Do I have to spray those colors with airbrush or is there any way to paint them tidy with brushes without having this... decomposing-problem-thingy?

Thanks for any help! :) 

2. Hotwire

Hotwire Pro-Customizer

Not sure what you mean by decomposing. Which metallic colors are you having trouble with? I use these paints, (chrome silver, gunmetal, and metallic blue) all the time with brushes. I will recommend that you uses some thinner in them, and be VERY patient with them. Paint only one or two strokes in any specific area. Then let them dry for one hour before doing the next coat. If you try to get complete coverage in your first coat, the paint will get sticky and look like crap. If your not happy with the coat you just did, go over it with 1000 grit sandpaper, (I use Tamiya's sandpaper) to smooth it back out. I hope this helps.

3. brawl 56

brawl 56 Aw..crap!

News Credits:
    I´m useing this metallic blue.
    So... I only should paint a little area, right?
    Well.. I always painted some big areas at one time... >.< so teh color was messed up and the result was a splitted area where one half was more blueish and the other one was more silverish...
    But thanks for your help!! :D 

4. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Flexi-plastic? Like, the soft rubbery parts? Are you trying to paint those? Becase the paint does have a problem on that plastic, i've had it happen. You using Acrylic or Enamel?

5. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    If the paint 'un-mixes', you might wanna make sure that you properly mix (don't shake) the paint in the jar before using it. Also, use the proper thinner. Water will work with acrylic paint but with enamels or lacquers be sure to use thinner.

6. Zildjian

Zildjian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yep.... it sounds like you don't mix your paints. The metallics need to be mixed VERY well.

7. brawl 56

brawl 56 Aw..crap!

News Credits:
    No, they´re simple and normal plastic areas. I´m using Acrylics :) 

Ah! Well, I often shake them before opening...>.< Maybe that´s the mistake.
    Yeah, for acrylics I use water and enamel I take some sort of "enamel-thinner-thingy". :) 

8. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You should mix as mampy suggested, but you could shake it to mix as well. Just be sure that while shaking to mix I check the bottom of the bottle(lots of t's there) to make sure that the metal flakes are mixed in. You'll knotice before you paint that it'll look very silver with a tint of blue, but as youy shake that silvery color will mix with the rest of the paint.

9. brawl 56

brawl 56 Aw..crap!

News Credits:
    Yay! Well, now I´ve mixed it something about 10minutes and TADAAA those metalflakes got loose and were mixed into the rest of the color!
    Thanks guys!! :D 

10. Hotwire

Hotwire Pro-Customizer

Glad we could help. BTW, Tamiya Metallic Blue is one of my favorite colors. Can't wait to see what you're painting with it.