Talkin 'bout my Transformer generation?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Transbot90210, May 3, 2006.

1. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    So we all know that the members here rangein age from single digit to 30+. With the advent of DVD boxsets age doesn't mean much as to what generation introduced you to Transformers. This is a two part question.

Before I ask the question please please please refrain from derailing the thread. This is not a which is best thread. This is all personal opinions about what you love not which is better. The opinons being personal means there is no wrong answer and there is no one series better than the other. Let us respect our differences and remain mature in our posts. That being said let the questions begin....

1) What Transformers series introduced you to Transformers? Were you an original Geewuner(I love that term, just started seeing it around) or due to age were you made a fan through Armada or Cybertron?

2) What generation do you hold closest to heart?

Myself being 30 I was lucky enough to live through the original G1 hype. So I am a geewuner.

The series that made me fall in love with Transformers is Beast Wars. The indepth character developement, the mature themes and sophisticated plots(well for a cartoon anyway) just drew me in and recindled my love for these crazy bots.

What about you?

Thanx
    Transboy90210

2. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Gen 1 was my introduction.
    Jetfire was my first real toy.

Beast Machines got me back into it.

As for my 5 yr old,
    Energon was his first, but I think he prefers BW and cybertron.
    He is not a big fan of gen1 either.

3. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

I'm a G1er, then I was AWOL until RID brought me back in.

4. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    well, i was only 3-6 when g1 was around, but i remember watching it all as g2...with that cg box crazyness....but BW got me back into it, and thats what i hold closest to my heart...so, i guess im a mutt....

5. SFGMaster

SFGMaster Owns a Juvisy

G1'er myself as well, though I freely admit to loving the new stuff. Especially Cybertron, as I came back to TF's just as the Cybertron line was starting and so it's almost my "second" Transformers initiation.

6. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

G1, baby!!! Over the years, though, TFs somehow slowly dropped off my radar until I moved to CA to go to school and be with my gf (now fiancee) and somehow (possibly because she bought me a Unicron) she got me buying again with the remnants of the Armada line and the beginning of the Energon line. Now, I'm a certified TF addict and I've got Cybertron and Alts. on the brain constantly.

7. Overlord II

Overlord II Starscreamicon Leader TFW2005 Supporter

I am a Geewunner....from back in the day....I was a little old when I got started (15 or 16)...But that is my love...I do pickup Starscream for every generation (if it is under $30.) But I think of all Transformers in the vision of the G1 Storyline.....

8. Steeljaw

Steeljaw Owner of TF Rebellion.com

I was born in 85, so G1 was in reruns when I watched it. (Still have Tommy Kennedy and the autobot city news on VHS thanks to my dad taping the show :lol  ). So I never got to see all the episodes untill DVD. Plus Since TMNT was the big thing I was one of the very few TF fans at school.
    I used to search flee markets for the toys before G2 came out.
    But for shows BW and BM is what really turned me into a super fan. the writing and the respect to the original series and the loveable charactors just made me love the franchise even more. Kinda miss that about the new stuff. There's very few charactors that you can actually get behind and like, every thing is so cookie cutter perfect, no room for development or changes.

9. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I don't really have a fav, as I like all for different reasons.

Gen1 - What started it all, It may not stand up in some ways to the others, but wehen you are 5 or 6 it was awesome.

Gen2 - That was my too cool for toys age. I missed out.

BW- I was into SW at the time. I was all 'beasts, WTF'

BM- Board with SW, BM look cool (thank you Jetstorm), hmm maybe BW is alright.

RID- Cars, glorious cars. This represents a very memorable time in my life. My son was born, university was almost done and a new home.

Armada/energon, both good, but almost lost intrest.
    Cybertron/alternators- big fan of both. Also found online fandom to make things more interesting in following the series.

Future series- Classics, look promising,
    movie line- hopfully won't kill the line.

10. Crobot91

Crobot91 Daddy has lots of TFs...

News Credits:
    1) G1 got me in (man, I'm old)...
    2) I still identify mostly with G1 since it had the most characters and best toys (pound for pound).

I've liked all subsequent incarnations (esp. BW-Season1), and they've helped hold my interest in the franchise all these years (I wish they would make DVD boxsets of R.I.D., Armada - Pt.2, Energon, & Japanese G1: none of which are available in Canada).

11. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Myself, I grew up with G1 and bought the toys whenever allowance/birthday/christmas or other various times to get toys (like I always got TFs in my easter baskets) allowed. Unfortunately, I didn't really start watching until season 2 began... I was like three in '84 so I only really got the minibots that year and no Decepticons because my mom was into this antigun thing... yes she was a hippy... :stick:  My G1 collection didn't really start off until I started getting season 3 stuff and stuff from beyond later... Decepticons were still few and far between and I eventually started hiding the weapons from my hippy mom.

I collected during the early years of G2... mostly getting the recolored G1 stuff (mainly because they were alot of S1 characters I never got), but never got interested in the early new molds. I lost intereste in collecting during G2 for a bit, because the show was just a rehash of G1... and I hated the "cybercube" nonesense... :Gouki:  I got back into G2 at the tail end when I found Laser Prime, the Cyberjets, Tank Megatron and the Laser Cycles (along with some Gobots) on clearance at KB Toys. I saw that they had started designing Transformers like other toylines and that was sweet!

BW... I bought a few toys and didn't really like the organic looking style. Scorponok and Primal were my only original BW toys and I got rid of them shortly there after. I never watched the TV show, because I was too cool for cartoons... but I could collect toys of Marvel comics characters. Really that's why I wasn't really into BW and BM... because I was a comic fanatic back than... especially the X-Men. I'm currently in love with BW though since I went back and bought the DVD boxed sets.

RID. Started to get me back into collecting, but I found out about it too late and got alot of it either on clearance or the aftermarket.

I enjoy the current lines Armada/Energon/Cybertron to varying degrees... but Cybertron has been by far the best line as far as toys go. The cartoons have been kind of... G1ish unfortunately (yes, loved G1, but it's way too kiddy for me now... still love it though)... Cybertron has been pretty good though... with some unfortunate exceptions.

Still, I have high expectations of the future of TFs!

12. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    What he said. In fact, it was Car Robots that brought me back to the fandom.

13. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Answers to both questions, G1! I've been collecting since 85. Yes, I'm old.

14. Tidal Wave

Tidal Wave Member

Hi, I've been lurking for a while and decided to post.

1. G1. I'm 31, I collected Transformers as a kid until I hit the 6th grade and the hormones started kicking in (my last toys were the Aerialbots). I've collected comics for years but have started losing interest due to all the darkness in them. At the same time, my 4 year old started getting hooked on the Cybertron cartoon and of course, the toys followed. I seem to be getting hooked too, especially with the upcoming movie and the Classics line. It'll be something fun we can do together for a few years.

2) G1, but before my son and I got into them, I'd go to the toystore and see things such as the Grimlock alternator and thought it was ridiculous, Grimlock was a dinosaur dammit! But after learning about the toys and stories after G1, it's really made me apppreciate the entire brand much more. My favorite character (thanks to the video game), Tidal Wave, wasn't even out when I collected as a kid.

15. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    The Transformers, and Car Robots.

I could explain the reasons, but really, it's mundane by now. All you need to know is I found this site in late 2000(I think) and once I saw Fire Convoy - I was back in love.

16. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

Good to see you, Tidal Wave!

G1 for me. I'm all about story, and I couldn't get past the beast thing for beast wars. Also not a huge fan of the blocky thing lately, but I can live with it.

I'm still waiting for a series with good toys and a story kids and adults can enjoy. Maybe when I have kids, eh?

EDIT: Not that G1 was Shakespeare, but it had more... panache than the new stuff. That, and my childhood rose-colored-glasses.

17. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I am 25. I grew up with the original series; I watched it as much as I could. I got back into Transformers when Beast Machine episodes were being hosted at the tfarchive (thanks, guys!) and, uh...just stayed interested from there.

...but I have yet to have super-hardcore devoted feelings about one particular line. I chose "Ops_was_a_truck" more as a jab at the Truck vs. Munky joke, but...honestly...as long as the show is entertaining and appeals to an audience of more than idiots, I'll watch it.

Unfortunately, that hasn't been the way the most recent shows have been, so I've stuck to buying the toys. I put on the G1 series in the background whenever I'm folding laundry or working on model kits. It's familiar and comfortable.

18. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:

Funy you should mention that. I have a lot of troubnle sleeping and when I know I NEED to sleep I pop is G1 or BW dvds . The familiarity and comfort of the shows put me in a zone and I fall asleep quickly.

Thanx
    Transbot90210

P.S. Tidalwave..welcome aboard

19. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I did that last night, although it was a Energon DVD.
    I almost didn't last through the previews.

20. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

yeah, and I can't make it through 20 minutes of the movie without falling asleep. I have the same problem with star wars, too. I always wondered what it was....

anyway, I was born in 1977, so I was the perfect age for G1. that will always be my fav, for nostalgia's sake. of course around 88 I was done with most toys, but when G2 came out when I was in high school, it finished at 7:30, and I had to catch the bus at like 7:22, so I'd watch it everyday, then me and another dude would talk about it on the bus. so I dragged all my tf's out of the attic and went through them. when I was in college and discovered the internet, I bought a mib soundwave, and it was all downhill from there.

I discovered beastwars when babysitting a nephew, and he said he wanted to show me his new transformer, since I used to bring mine over. he said it was called megatron, and I was like "how'd he get the gun?" of course I did a wtf when he brought out a purple dinosaur. but then I gave beast wars a chance, and I've been collecting again ever since.