Talkin' 'bout Cybertron repaints

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Cheebs, May 28, 2006.

1. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    It's repaint time for the next couple months. How does everybody think they're going?

In one word:

Skyshadow: fail
    Repugnus: pass
    Galaxy Force Prime: pass
    Cannonball: fail
    Exillion: pass
    Galvatron: pass
    Cryotek: fail
    Swindle: fail
    Swerve: pass
    Override GTO: pass
    Golden Age Vector Prime: pass
    Smolescreen (crosswise): pass
    Ransack GTO: pass

In several words:

Skyshadow: The new darker colors are good, but the mold was strickly average to begin with, and the original colors were plenty good enough on Jetfire. Nothing compels me to buy it.

Repugnus: A great example of a new color scheme and the old color scheme working together. The old Undermine green still looks great and does not get obsoleted by Repugnus, but at the same time Repugnus looks fantastic in his own right and is more than happy to share the shelf with his green comrade. It's also a basic, so repaint sticker shock isn't so much a factor.

Galaxy Force Prime: I'm on the fence with him, but damn the new colors, while subtlely different, are just so much better then the first attempt. He's too big and too expensive to own both, so the original may be sold.

Cannonball: He's just too goofy, esspecially with the lightbar. On top of that the brown plastic looks horrible.

Exillion: Here's a case of the new color scheme totally crushing the old colors into obsolete-ness. You'll never think of the blue guy again. In fact, the blue guy should have never been released. The mold was made for these colors, Hotrod homage or not.

Galvatron: Same deal as Excillion. Crushes Megatron by a large margin and should have been the first and only colors.

Cryotek: Another expensive and average mold gets another so-so repaint. Like Skyshadow, there's nothing here to compel me to buy this over the red one.

Swindle: The colors may be a huge improvement, but the mold just does nothing for me. It's like, if you already own Energon Sledge, what's the point?

Swerve: Colors improve on the original by a great deal. Basic mold neither takes up toy funds nor shelf space. It's a go.

Override GTO: I really don't like the mold at all, but the colors are just so much better than the original I can't help but say it's a sucsessful repaint.

Golden Age Vector Prime: Vector Prime is my favorite Cybertron mold. Period. If the golden guy we saw earlier does indeed surface on shelves, he will be snapped up fast by me. Total baddass.

Smolescreen (crosswise): Yes, the Smokescreen colors look a little wonky on this mold, and yes I think the mold's a better bluestreak, but the mold is so great and the homage is so well done it's hard to say no.

Ransack GTO: The Oakland A's get their own transformer. Good for them. :) 

2. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Cybertron has gotten me to break my no repaint clause so often... I just got Nemesis Breaker yesterday and love the figure despite having Leobreaker.

It's all a matter of taste I guess... I love Cannonball, Galvatron, Excellion, GF Prime, Gold Vector, Repugnus, Swindle, and Cyrotek. All of them, whether they pay tribute to an old character or not, are drastic changes to their original colors and succeed in bringing out a lot of the toys that the original deco jobs didn't.

However... Swerve, Ransack GTS, Override GTS, Brushguard, Sky Shadow, and Skywarp do nothing for me. While they look very different, aside from Override, there's elements I cant stand. Skywarp's misuse of color, Brushguard's lack of vehicle detail, Ransack's green and bright yellow mix...

Cybertron's the best line for repaints we've ever had, no doubt, it's just a matter of what you like or not.

3. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    excellion is awesome!!

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I think the Cybertron repaints are doing pretty well. I'm not buying into many of them myself, but the ones that cross my path are more than likely getting bought. I quite like the idea behind Sky Shadow, I've got a nice post-series 'fic idea waiting to happen with that guy.

5. Firestorm

Firestorm Red Mage in Training

Personally, I've bought every repaint I've seen. I got Sky Shadow because Jetfire is one of my favorite molds from this series. Swindle is nice, as I already liked Hardtop. I don't even refer to Galvatron by that name. I have Megatron, then I call him Master Megatron as a power-up.

Optimus Prime might be the only repaint I skip. I love the toy, but the paint doesn't seem different enough. May skip Vector Prime, may not.

And Cannonball has so much personality, I couldn't help but get him.

6. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Arrrr... Cannonball be's a good repaint. It is a little goofy, but the fact that he's a pirate makes up for it.

Repugnus.. you can paint him pretty, but its still a lame mold. Galaxy Force Prime.. Hasbro could have done so much more than switch the blue to black.

I'm not about to pass judgement on Cryotek and Golden Age Vector Prime until I see them in person.

7. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    This has to be the one line since Beast Wars were I actually haven't been complaining about repaints, to be honest I'm glade were getting so many, more I say :thumb 

What's especially great about the Cybertron and GF repaints is 99% of them are on equal or greater greatness with there original counterparts. For me its because of this is, is why the line just ranks so high in my books as not only are the toys themselves great were getting some great repaints and even retools in the process.

My fav repaints thus far are:

- Dark Crumlezone
    - Galvatron (love this toy)
    - GF Soundblaster
    - GT Ransack (cant wait)
    - Excillion

Not to mention I got GF Production Noisemaze on pre-order and I cant wait for that repaint, lets hope Hasbro does one of Sideways as well :D 

But ya Cyb repaints so far=rules :rock 

8. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Rather than just pass 'n fail, I'll give them actual grades in terms of their paint jobs:

Brushguard: B-
    Skyshadow: A+
    Repugnus: B+
    Galaxy Force Prime: A- if taken by itself, D+ when you consider how similar he is to the original Cybertron Prime
    Cannonball: Big FAT A+
    Excellion: A
    Galvatron: Big FAT A+
    Cryo-Scourge: Big FAT A+
    Swindle: C+
    Swerve: A-
    Override GTS: B
    Golden Vector Prime: A+
    Smokescreen: B-
    Ransack GTS: A
    Dark Crumplezone: Big FAT A+

9. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I like em. Recommended. Smooth transaction. A+A+A+A+A+A+A+A+A+A

10. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

I bought/will buy:
    Swerve and Clocker
    Excellion and HotShot
    LeoBreaker and Nemesis Breaker
    Ransack and Ransack GT

Dark Crumplezone instead of Crumplezone
    Galvatron instead of Megatron
    Swindle instead of Hardtop
    Sky Shadow instead of JetFire

Red Alert but not Canonball
    Thundercracker but not Skywarp
    Optimus but not GF Optimus
    Scourge but not CryoScourge
    Vector Prime but not Gold Vector Prime
    Crosswise but not Smokescreen

11. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The repaints have been really good this time around. I'm trying not to buy too many though, but they are pretty cool.
    So far I have-
    Excellion
    Repugnus
    Nemesis Breaker
    Galvatron
    Dark Crumplezone
    blue and yellow Rumbles
    Soundblaster
    Dark Nitro Convoy
    Dark Scorponok
    Dark Fang Wolf

I'm trying not to buy too many others though unless they're show characters. Definitely getting Crytoek, and the Ransack GTS is tempting. I would get Override GTS since it looks better but I want the more show accurate version.

12. ProtoformX

ProtoformX Beasties!

News Credits:
    Brushguard: meh
    Skyshadow: yay
    Repugnus: meh
    Galaxy Force Prime: meh
    Cannonball: boo!
    Excellion: yay!
    Galvatron: yay!
    Cryo-Scourge: yay
    Swindle: meh
    Swerve: meh
    Override GTS: yay
    Golden Vector Prime: meh
    Smokescreen: boo!
    Ransack GTS: yay
    Dark Crumplezone: yay!
    Dark Nitro: yay!
    Darkwolf: yay!
    Soundblaster: meh
    NemesisBreaker: meh
    Dark Scorponok: meh

13. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well I generally like repaints, not that I buy everything, but I like them because I get to pick the colour scheme I prefer.

Having said that Cybertron repaints are especially nice. I really like Cannonball (I don't have him yet, though), because he's so different.

14. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I bought/will buy at full price:
    Red Alert and Cannonball (can't resist the pirate!)

Repaints I'll buy if I see on clearance/ 2 packs, as I already own the mold:
    Excellion, Swerve, Nemesis Breaker, Ransack, Dark Crumplezone, CryoScourge, Repugnus

Repaints from other lines I bought/ will buy:
    Buzzsaw (didn't have original), Blurr (ditto), Runamuck (ditto ditto), Star Saber/ SWAT team minicons, Cybertron Bendy Prime

Repaints that will stay on the shelf:
    Longrack, Street Speed minicons, Dark Scorpy, Override GTS, Megatron, GF Optimus, Sky Shadow, Gold VP, Skywarp, Swindle, Overhaul, other minicon sets, Smokescreen.

Repaints I hope Hasbro makes:
    Soundblaster, Noisemaze, Armorhide, Downshift.

-Tony!

15. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

the only repaint I am STILL kicking around Is galvatron. It is SO much better then Megatron. Would it be unethical to exchange Megatron for Galvatron? He is still sealed.

16. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Put me down for loving Cannonball. I wasn't gonna buy him til I saw him in the store. Couldn't resist the pirate goodness. *points to quote in sig*

17. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll get them all, but so far the only one I think is a total waste is Cannonball, with Override GTS a close second.

As far as good ones go, high marks to Skyshadow, Repugnus, Excellion, Swindle, Swerve, and the upcoming Vector Prime.

18. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Yarh matey, you'll walk the plank fer that one! *points to sig quote again* :D 

We really need a pirate emoticon. :sly: 

19. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  20. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I definitely think hasbro stepped things up a notch with the repaints in this line. I usually skip repaints so I really have to like a repaint a lot for me to get it (or find them really cheap during a sale:D ). So I'm just going to list all of the repaints and say whether I bought them or not.

Brushguard: Bought (Hate the mold...worst in the line IMO... but got it during TRU christmas sale...plus I like having more decepticons)
    Skyshadow: Bought (The mold is average at best but once again, more Decepticons= awesome...plus I do like the colors)
    Repugnus: Didn't get (Looks 'meh' to me, maybe I'll buy it if I find it clearenced off)
    Galaxy Force Prime: Not going to get. (Too expensive)
    Cannonball: Bought. (Pretty ******ed concept, but again, it's another Decepticon and I like the mold)
    Excellion: Didn't get (The mold is great but I'm not into Hot Rod repaints)
    Galvatron: Bought (and left MIB...best Galvatron repaint ever, simply gorgeous)
    Cryo-Scourge: Not going to Get (not a huge fan of the mold)
    Swindle: Bought (During the TRU sale)
    Swerve: Bought (During the TRU sale)
    Override GTS: Didn't get (mold doesn't deserve a second purchase)
    Golden Vector Prime: Doubt I'll get, unless on clearence
    Smokescreen: Won't be getting it (great mold, but I'm not going to get it again just because of the homage)
    Ransack GTS: Doubt I'll get (love the mold, colors are decent, might get if I find it on clearence)
    Dark Crumplezone: Didn't get (looks great, just doesn't interest me much)
    NemesisBreaker: Will definitely get (crappy mold, but the colors are awesome, love the 'biohazard' Dcon sigil, and it will look great combined with galvatron if I ever take it out of the package)
    Dark Scorponok: Bought (During the TRU sale)