Talk me into one: Cloud 9 vs TT KO Shockwave

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Kung Fu Roo, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Kung Fu Roo

Kung Fu Roo Well-Known Member

Aside from paint, which i could get around to doing myself, which do you like better and why? Cost prior to shipping is roughly the difference of 2 dollars.

TTKO = $36.20 AUD ($26.17 USD)

Cloud 9 Quakeblast (Solid Purple) = $38.92 AUD (28.13 USD)

2. silith210518

silith210518 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I have Takara shockwave and it's great. No idea on ko mind. Love the toon aesthetic. Definitely recommend.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MEEEGGGAAATTTRRROOONNN

MEEEGGGAAATTTRRROOONNN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    I have the official TT Shockwave and while a good figure, the colour is too light.

So wait for the KO of the + version, as the colour on that is what should have been released in the first place (IMHO).

Of course, we don't know if a KO+ is coming, but I would rather hold on for that.

4. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't item the ko but wasn't it one of the low quality "no brand" ones? Imo, c9 is a damn solid figure and well made. Only thing you need to watch out for it's his gun hand - it fits inside the barrel of his gun mode and can be broken off if you're careless during transformation.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MilanX3

MilanX3 Well-Known Member

Who is selling that Takara KO for 26$?

6. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    They’re really not the same figure aesthetically, you should get the one that actually fits your collection. The low prices are a nice bonus that keep you from having to vote with your wallet.
    If you’re into that [imo lame] literal toon translation that TT is on right now, you need to get the ko. If you’re about how the toon should have translated into real life, or a comic aesthetic, go for cloud 9.
    I can speak for cloud 9, super dope. Although my clear hand cracked at a knuckle after a few years, fortunately he came with a solid hand too.

311CDD2D-B40E-4726-A76A-42335191D3EF.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 7
  7. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    I am waiting for KO Dark Purple version... Yeah, official is not going to work. But KO has to be goodesh quality.

and yes, i have owned both Quakewave and Quakeblast before.

8. Scourgatron

Scourgatron 4D Smart-ass

News Credits:
    Prior to shipping. I assume Taobao.

And C9 all the way.

9. Weezie

Weezie Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just depends on what you prefer. I like the cartoon Shockwave more so I went with TT. Quakeblast, while a great toy in its own right, never looked right in my collection. I've always seen him as a more of a Chugsterpiece (that's not necessarily a bad thing).

10. evilwithin

evilwithin Dinobot

It depends on the aesthetic you're looking for.

Quakeblast is a bruiser. Bulky, bigger, fully painted, die cast. In hand it's twice the heft.
    On the other hand, it can make your Megatron look weak by comparison, so YMMW.

11. gigtigre

gigtigre Well-Known Member

I have the cloud 9 and it is a fantastic figure. But it is not cartoon accurate as the Takara one. So you have to decide if you like toon or not. Either war, the decision is forced by this.

12. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

As others have said, the decision is very much dependent on your collection.

The TT Shockwave (and by extension the KO), has a very nice transformation and the hose is the best solution possible (well, best would be if they had made it coloured plastic instead of painted metal -- the KO seems to flake easily). But he isn't very big, about MP seeker size, and has rather skinny legs and long arms. If your Shockwave is the meek servent he was in the cartoon, then this can work (although I'd still say he's a bit small for that since in the cartoon he still had quite a bit of bulk to his body).

Cloud 9's Quakeblast is more based on the comics, and a mix between his Marvel and IDW incarnation. He's big (MP-10 size) and bulky. He's meant to be a Shockwave who's very powerful. And he pulls it off excellent. On the downside, his armblaster can be a bit fragile, the hose is a pain, and the transformation...well, most of it is nice and smooth, but the leg panels will frighten you at the start.

Another important difference is the feel of both figures. Cloud 9 feels (and is) far better quality than the official MP. And the KO was described as a step down from the MP.

Quality=C9 (personally, I think Fans Toys Quakewave is better quality, and the first run has imo nicer colours too)
    Powerful Shockwave=C9
    show based servent=MP fits.

13. chaosanderson

chaosanderson Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Others have said it, source vs source (toon vs comic vs overall continuity)

To me Quakeblast has so much more presence and is far more threatning looking which matches to the comics where he tore Megatron apart and with more recent renditions where he is a major threat and is more of a leader of his own sphere like Straxus.

TT Shockwave is a fine figure but really evokes his G1 cartoon image of the subservient nobody.

I have both(non ko) by the way but you would need to determine which figure best represents your opinion of the Shockwave character.

If you are worried about quality, I dont know how the ko fares but Quakeblast is a solid figure.

• Like Like x 1
  14. DogFriedRice

DogFriedRice Well-Known Member

Think this is the key.

If you got TT Megatron then the KO will fit in better.

If however you like Megatron and Shockwave being powerhouses then QB and MT Despostron fits.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Kung Fu Roo

Kung Fu Roo Well-Known Member

thanks for the advice. I like the look of both, that is part of the problem, but i dont want to buy both at the moment. just didnt know if one was far superior to the other build wise.

yeah, i might hold off and wait on a + ko. while i can paint, i have several figures i said i was going to paint, but i havent gotten to yet. however i was going to order mp-39 ko and i need a couple of others to stretch out shipping costs and get a deal. i guess i could bypass mp29 and just get 33 and 35 with 39

that price is from taobao. they also have mp 39 for 37 usd. grapple and inferno are 29.09 USD a piece.

变形 MP系列mp30mp14 mp15 mp17 MP13 MP21 MP19 MP12MP33MP23-淘宝网

16. boomerdave

boomerdave Owns three Ditka figures. O_o Veteran

I don't like the official. The color is too light, it's not painted so it's got that cheap plastic look to it and worse of all (IMO) is he's got those "Tiny Dancer" feet and legs TT started doing. I hate that.

I'd get Cloud 9 for the paint, sculpt and value before I got the first official. If you love the sculpt, at least get the "+" so it's the right color if you ask me.

(I actually have my V1 Quakewave as my display Shockwave so my opinion is unbiased by owning either toy...which I don't.)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Weezie

Weezie Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's weird that no-one has put MP-29 and MP-36 into ballerina poses yet :ev:  I like both figures, but those feet are probably the weak points (pun not intended) of the sculpts.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Crim

Crim Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, my choice was Quakeblast. I waited until Takara showed off their Shockwave before deciding, after they unveiled it all I could think was "ugh" and ordered Quakeblast. My preference for Shockwave is that he''s a "powerhouse" "big bad" able to take on just about any bot, he should feel (to me) intimidating and even kind of scary and foreign (alien). I never liked toon Megatron and Shockwave, they always seemed like skinny "Scooby Doo" kind of "villians just bumbling around. It wasn't until IDW's comics that I actually LIKED THEM so, for me that is the type of Megatron and Shockwave I want represented in my collection. "Big Bads" who have earned that title> Takara"s versions do not represent the characters I have grown to love.

Quakeblast with Despotron and Takara Soundwave just looks AMAZING together for me.

19. TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot closet otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Get the regular TT Laserwave figure. People are dumping him cheap for the Anime+ version. I picked up mine MISB for $60 and don't regret a thing. He's an amazing figure and will serve you better than the other two.

I've owned all three now and TT blows the other two away. I just wish they had switched the regular and + releases, that's all.

• Like Like x 1
  20. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    I'm not the first person to say it, even in this thread, but it really comes down to the aesthetic.

Do you want Shockwave to look just like the cartoon? Is your impression of him Megatron's slightly-smaller, ever-loyal lieutenant? Then go with the Takara or the KO.

Me, I loved the cartoon, and the cartoon is the definitive version of a lot of characters for me, but I did read the Marvel comics. Shockwave's introduction, beating the shit out of Megatron, stringing up the Autobots and imprisoning Optimus' head, all that left a major impression on me. Marvel Shockwave is my definitive Shockwave, so I want a bigger Shockwave that looks capable of beating Megatron and taking out the Autobots, so I went with Cloud 9.

Because of that, I can't speak to the quality of the Takara or the Takara KOs (but I'm sure there's review videos out there for both). Quakeblast is aces, though, as long as you're mindful of how the barrel fits over his gun hand in alt mode. I think I actually cut a little of the plastic out of the barrel to avoid issues.

• Like Like x 1