Tales of The Last Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Fiction' started by Black Oracle, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    To kick start the new year, here's a brand new follow-on story from my previous ROTF fics: I Rise, You Fall, Rising Sun and In Your Arms. The title was inspired by the "Tales of the Fallen" comic series.

Again, the focus is on Optimus Prime and his perspective. It'll be delving into the long-term effects of the Autobot leader's merging with the Matrix in Egypt (more in later chapters). The chapters are written in the style of a series of voice-recorded journal entries, but the flashbacks are written in my previous third-person narrative style. This starts about six months after the events of ROTF.

Hope you all enjoy this one! Happy New Year to all!

Tales of The Last Prime

Chapter 1: Dearly Departed

“Access code: Island. Voice journal entry 146. Earth date: January 15th, 2010.

It has been six Earth months since our battle in Egypt against The Fallen and Megatron. With the Fallen vanquished and Megatron apparently absent from Earth, there have been no more new Decepticon incidents. It has been a period of unusual quiet for the Autobots and human soldiers of N.E.S.T. operations.

Sadly though, I do not doubt that this peaceful time will only be temporary. Megatron will be recuperating and gathering his forces again. He will surely not forget the planet of his imprisonment for so many hundreds of meta-cycles so easily. It is only a matter of time before our Decepticon enemies rise again.

But there is something else that has been happening to me since my visit to the tomb of the Primes in Egypt four Earth months ago. There I saw vivid visions of my Prime forefathers and brothers as they were in life, visions of their distant and tragic past. I learnt of my creation from one of the first seven Primes: Prima, the leader of the Prime Dynasty. Impossible as it seemed, I am now certain of my direct descent from him. I had doubted my Prime lineage since the evidence first appeared just before the start of the Autobot-Decepticon War, but now I can no longer deny that I am the last of the ancient Prime Dynasty. This knowledge has weighed heavily on my mind. At times, I long for the impossible: I long to return to my Prime brethren, though I have never known them personally. I still see their faces, as they were in life and in death, in my mind. My lost family…

The only piece of them I carry now is the Matrix of Leadership. I carry it by my side always now, attached to my hip. Though we know it to be a powerful ancient artefact that was used to activate Sun Harvesters, it also is of sentimental value to me now. It is the only remaining link I have to my Prime ancestors, akin to how humans may hold onto old photographs of departed loved ones to remember them by. My contact with the Matrix’s mysterious energies back in Egypt through Sam Witwicky’s efforts has allowed me to look into the past to see my Prime forefathers and brothers before their deaths. It is the only way I can know them now. I have watched them, and I believe they even communicated with me during the time I was offline after nearly dying at Megatron’s hands.

But the energies of the Matrix are unpredictable and unknowable. I continue to see visions and images at random, some evidently from the past, others I cannot be sure. Perhaps I have glimpsed scenes of the future or other worlds without realising. I have had strange and disturbing dreams in stasis, though it may well be that they are as much the result of my own insecurities as they are products of the Matrix’s energy infusion into my spark. And the voices of the Primes echo in my head unannounced at times, though I can rarely decipher what they are saying.

What has most been concerning me of late though are the growing sensations of heat in my spark. I feel on occasions that my spark chamber is ‘over-heating’, like there is a gradual build-up of energy internally. But contrary to my expectations, these ‘rising core temperatures’ are not causing me discomfort, just… comfortable distraction. I suspected they were probably the residual energies of the Matrix which would fade in time. But they have persisted. And not only that, I feel they are spreading further through my internal systems. Ratchet has not been able to detect anything abnormal in my body on last examination though, other than a, as he called it, “healthy amount of energon”. The sensations of internal heat come and go for the time being, but I am not sure what they are.

I sense that there is more to be learnt from and about the Matrix. There are moments when I feel inexplicably drawn to it…like it is calling to me in silent whispers… The visions, the dreams, the voices, the heat I feel in my core… I do not know if the Matrix energies are trying to relay a message from the past to me…or whether I am simply seeing old ghosts…

They are so vivid even now…”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[City of Altihex, Cybertron, during the Autobot-Decepticon war.]

Optimus fired off a few shots from his rifle then spun round to take cover back behind a metal wall. From the corner of his right optic he saw several lines of laser fire whiz right past him. He ignored their proximity and reloaded his rifle, keeping his head down. Having freshly reloaded, Optimus hefted his weapon up again to the side of his head, ready to fire it once more at the next available opportunity. His royal blue optics stared down hard at the debris-covered ground beneath his feet.

Across to him, pressing their backs against another metal wall, were Hound, Inferno and Jazz. Through unrelenting Decepticon laser fire whizzing noisily between him and his soldiers, Optimus could hear Hound’s pessimism growing.

“It’s hopeless! The Decepticons have us pinned down. No way we’re getting out of Altihex in one piece!”

Hound was right. The Decepticons had cut off their escape from Altihex city. Optimus considered his words of hopelessness momentarily.

Then Jazz spoke.

“Pull it together, Hound. We’ll get out of here. We didn’t get this far just to die now.”

His first lieutenant’s voice was calm and cool; it always was. Optimus silently marvelled at Jazz’s collected ‘coolness’ no matter what situation he was in. Always calm, always collected. Jazz was indispensable to him. He always knew exactly what to say to the troops to give them hope in hopeless-looking situations.

Optimus turned on the com-link in his helmet.

“Any ideas, Jazz?” he asked.

He turned his head slightly to see Jazz smile at him from the other side.

“Maybe. The Decepticons may have the bigger guns, sir, but we got a few tricks up our plates.”

From Jazz’s arm popped out three grenade-like weapons. He took hold of them in one hand and prepared to throw them.

“Get ready to roll, guys,” he instructed.

He tossed the grenades in the direction of gunfire from behind his wall cover. Thick plumes of smoke rose as soon as the grenades clattered to the ground.

Optimus reacted instantly.

“Autobots, move!” he shouted to them.

There were the sounds of running feet, then engines and wheels as the Autobots made their escape through the heavy smoke clouds.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“What would I have done without you at those times, Jazz? You were always there beside me right from the beginning, along with Ironhide and Ratchet. But now…”

Optimus looked down mournfully at the torn halves of his first lieutenant in his cradling arms. He was utterly still and lifeless. Optimus held the halves of his body closer to him.

“Ohhh, Jazz…”

We didn’t get this far just to die now.

“You made it this far with me to Earth, old friend. You were not supposed to leave me yet…

We have lost too many brothers too soon in our war.

Jazz…I can still feel the weight of your torn body in my arms… It is burdening…”

2. Attacker_Prime

Attacker_Prime Optimus Prime forever

This is great, like all your previous stories. This one seems even deeper, I might add. Can't wait to read more.

3. Rhinox007

Rhinox007 Liquid Fire

Where's the damn popcorn when you need it. Just keep writing like this Black Oracle, I'll find the popcorn eventually

4. Latias Prime

Latias Prime I'm only slightly crazy!

Amazing start, Black Oracle, but since it's you I'm not surprised. You are a god (or goddess, seeing as how this is the internet and I don't know if you're a guy or a girl) of Transformers fan-fic writing. Keep it up!

5. Black Oracle

News Credits:
    Attacker, i seem to have a tendency to dig too deeply sometimes. Maybe i should lighten up?

*Holds out two boxes of popcorn to Rhinox007.* Sweet or salted, sir?

Latias, i am not a goddess, but i am a lady!

Really cool to hear from you guys again!

6. Cmdr Prime

Cmdr Prime co-Commander of Autobots TFW2005 Supporter

Like I said to you before Black Oracle you should have your stories published and if you do manage to get them published I will buy them and read them over and over so keep up the excellent work you deserve it :thumbs2: 

7. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    This is my first visit into the Fan Fiction section and wow...I'm glad I came accross this one.

Great story Black Oracle. I don't think you have to be concerned about delving too deep; you bring much needed attention to inner feelings. This is great!

8. Rhinox007

Rhinox007 Liquid Fire

9. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I loooooveeee how this one has started, amazing as usual, I agree with CPrime, you need to do as we've suggested and get these "puppies" published!! :thumb 
    I wasn't kidding when I compared your work to A.D. Foster..you grip the reader from the first sentence, and we want to stay in your grip until the last sentence..!!!
    Can't wait for the next chapter..I'll bring the:popcorn  guys, nom, nom..

10. Black Oracle

News Credits:
    Thank you so much for the responses guys and gals! They've been very encouraging.

StayingInTheBox, i'm honoured that you read and responded to this story on your first visit into the fanficiton forums. I hope you have been encouraged to check back here more.

Cmdr Prime and mpl, publishing? *Dreams on.* Thanks for your votes of confidence though. Mind you, i have had some poetry and micro-fiction published in writing competition anthologies before.

mpl and Rhinox007, stop hogging the popcorn! Save me some! Greedy popcorn munchers!

And now, here's chappie 2!

It's a bit short because this and the first chapter were originally one long chapter, but then i split them up.

I'm gonna break a couple of hearts with this one. It follows on from the intimacy between Elita-One and Optimus in my last fic "In Your Arms".

For those who don't know, Elita-One is the purple Arcee motorcycle here.

Chapter 2: Unrealised​

“Continuing voice journal entry 146.

The annihilation of those close and dear to me… I cannot bear it anymore…”

[N.E.S.T. base, Diego Garcia, two days ago.]

Optimus stood alone inside the Autobot hanger, quietly contemplating. The sound of a motorcycle engine approached him from behind.

“Optimus?”

It was Elita-One’s beautiful siren voice. She crossed her hands, one on top of the other, nervously.

“Would…would you like to walk with me outside? It’s a beautiful day and…”

Optimus did not turn around to face her.

“I cannot, Elita.”

Elita paused, formulating a response. She then continued.

“Oh, well, that’s fine. I know you’re very busy…”

“I cannot return your feelings.”

Elita paused again, staring in confusion at Optimus’s vast back.

“But I thought that we…that is, don’t you feel anything…about us?”

“There can be no ‘us’, Elita.” His voice was firm and emotionless. “Not as long as we are at war and lives hang in the balance.”

Elita rolled across to Optimus’s large leg and reached out a slender hand to touch him.

“Optimus, I am fully aware of the risks…,” she began.

Optimus immediately pulled back from her.

“No, Elita. I’m afraid you are not.”

“We cannot let this war diminish our existences!” Elita had taken on a pleading tone. It tore at Optimus’s spark.

“I…am sorry, Elita…”

Optimus gathered all his emotional strength. He turned his head further away from her, hiding the pain in his face that could betray his true emotions.

“…I do not want you…”

It was a lie. It was a terrible, spark-wrenching lie. Optimus endured it and maintained his stone-cold composure in front of Elita. But he watched her from the corner of his optics.

Elita’s soft optics fell slowly. Her whole small body seemed to drop, as if suddenly it was too heavy for her to continue holding up. Half of Optimus immediately regretted causing her such pain. She seemed so delicate then, so fragile. Optimus was almost afraid that she would collapse before him. He wanted to reach out and hold her, pick her up and cradle her close to him. He resisted.

“As you wish.” Her voice was lifeless.

Optimus’s optics dulled as Elita turned away from him and moved to exit the hanger. She stopped at the hanger entranceway and turned her head back to Optimus. Her optics were heavy with sadness.

“I am saddened,” Elita softly stated, “not for myself, but for you, Optimus.”

With that, she rolled away.

Optimus turned and laid an arm heavily upon the wall behind him. His head fell. His hands curled into tight fists. Silently, he roared inside.

“You do not understand, Elita. You do not know the pain of losing so many loved ones. Jazz, Alpha Trion, the Primes that were my family…

I pushed you away to protect us both…from grief.

It hurts me to deny you, Elita. More than you will ever know. But I cannot allow you in. I am an island, apart from others. Alone. We are at war. I cannot bear to love and lose you. And I will not subject you to the possibility of that pain either. Never again.

Farewell, my unrealised love.”

11. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Oh my Primus! Another great fanfic from you, Black Oracle! *Quickly rushes to get a semi load of popcorn for everyone to have*

Awww, how sad that Prime still mourns Jazz's death and now unintentionally breaks up with Elita in order to protect her.

12. Attacker_Prime

Attacker_Prime Optimus Prime forever

I can see Prime's sufference there. Great chapter :thumb 

13. Autobot_Wall-E

Autobot_Wall-E The Musical

Once again, you capture the emotional side of Transformers better than any cartoon or movie I've seen. You've outdone yourself with this Black Oracle. Is there more? If so, I'll be back to reading it!

14. moreprimeland

News Credits:
    Ok, first, it didn't make me cry because its what always has to happen for Prime, he is an island, sad but true..How heartbreaking for Elita, but the story isn't over is it??
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, great work, you pull the reader into the story, we are there, we hear, see and feel what your characters are experiencing. :thumb 
    My only complaint: This chapter was too Short!! :D 
    Now we just have to wait for the next chapter..please keep them coming!!

15. Black Oracle

News Credits:
    TC, it's all part of my devious plan to make the big guy suffer! Because i like watching characters suffer! Am i evil?

Autobot Wall-E, yes, there's more to come from this story!

mpl, as i just said to Wall-E, no, this story ain't over yet. I don't suppose you were just waiting for Prime and Elita to separate were you?

Thank you TC, Attacker, Wall-E and mpl for your comments!

16. moreprimeland

News Credits:
    Am I :ev:  for wanting to keep Prime for myself??? :D  If the shoe fits.....

17. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

No, you're not evil Black Oracle... for making Prime suffer. It's kinda nice to see how Prime has to deal with this many-millennia-old conflict between Autobots and Decepticons, how he suffers losses of great comrades-in-arms, etc.

18. Stiles

Stiles The Lovely Little Demon

:cry  Poor Elita!
    Black Oracle, I absolutely love your stories! The way you can feel the pain coming from both Optimus and Elita is amazing! I could see Prime turn his head away with pain! You, missy, are a genius!

19. Cmdr Prime

Cmdr Prime co-Commander of Autobots TFW2005 Supporter

Yes I too felt the anguish of Optimus loosing his friends and family I emmotionally touched when he couldn't let Elita-one in :cry 

So Black Oracle keep up the fantastic Work :bowdown: 

20. Rhinox007

Rhinox007 Liquid Fire

*Drops from chair, attaining a fetal position*

WHY?! WHY?!

I understand his pain, great job Black Oracle, but deep inside I hate you know, and to come and think of it that I wanted to share my popcorn with you