Tales of the Fallen #6

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by UltraMagnus3786, Jan 13, 2010.

1. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

Spoilers to follow, but I'd say this is worth picking up for sure. Read on having been warned...

After skipping 5, I decided to pick up 6 because I was interested in the explanation of how Arcee became 3 bots from 1. I was a bit surprised at how much I enjoyed the story. Details below:

Story: A spaceship containing Arcee and her team is shot down by Thundercracker. Stuck under a rock, she realizes Thundercracker killed the team and was on the way for her. He knocks her unconscious. She awakens as the subject of Flatline's experiment (pretty appropriate name since he's accidentally ruined all other specimens). Her spark and core consciousness has been extracted from her body and was being used to spark the development of 3 younger protoforms to turn into a new arm. All this has been explained by Flatline with Thundercracker hurrying him to complete the transfer. In another cell are Skids and Mudflap whose minds have been retarded by Flatline's experiments. Upon completion of the transfer, Flatline and Thundercracker leave, and Arcee completely awakens, remembering completely all that had happened in the past. Purple Arcee releases the twins who in turn release all 3 Arcee bots from a restraining lock. All hell then breaks loose as they try to escape to the twins' hijacked space ship while taking down guards, Flatline, and even Thundercracker, although the last two escape. Arcee boards the ship and departs to meet Optimus, torn between feelings of revenge and a more motherly trait of wanting to aid the Autobots and help the twins. Choosing the latter they wait to be found, knowing there's strength in numbers. Great story, even if the dialogue can be flat and nothing too special at times. I dig the explanation for Arcee (even though 'Arcee as an experiment' is getting old), and especially like justifying the movie twins' on-screen stupidity. Here you get the sense they are not kids but are actually less intelligent because of torture, almost like a patient who had undergone shock therapy. Pretty dark, and I dig it. I'd highly recommend this book for the story alone. 4.5/5

Art: It's great to have Milne doing the art for the series-- it hearkens back to his style used specifically in Defiance. Great, juicy and bright colors all around, and the action is easy to understand. He also homages Spotlight Arcee (and I guess Animated too) early in the book with a page dedicated to the tortured Arcee with wires coming out of her. Very nice. Beautiful work all around. 5/5

The bottom--or Flatline is, pick up the book and add it to your collection. The writing and art here is what Tales of the Fallen should've been throughout.

2. Robimus

Robimus Wanna'be Cassettebot

News Credits:
    I need to pick this up.

3. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    This was a good book, amazing how it contrasts to the... ick... that is the ongoing.

4. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    A good explanation for how Arcee became 3 bots. And i like Milne's art very much.

It's interesting how Arcee in the movie comics has always been depicted as a character that feels helpless and insufficient to her fellow Autobots as a result of being unable to prevent the losses of many of her comrades. She thus is always eager to try and become stronger to aid her fellows, and in ToTF #6, she does become more formidable as everything about her is tripled.

I'm still wondering what would happen though if one of Arcee's components was destoyed? Would the other two die as well or survive? That question was raised when purple Arcee was at Thundercracker's mercy momentarily before been rescued. And we still have no answer to whether Arcee can combine at least in the comics.

As it is, Arcee's 3 bodies are a shared mind, but i get the sense that they can still communicate with one another almost like individuals as well as finishing one another's sentences or speaking all at once. Quite peculiar. An interesting psychological perspective to explore further.

5. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    This is the best TotF issue

6. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So, Flatline made the Twins retarded? Okay, that's kinda funny.

But it sounds like an interesting issue. Gonna pick it up as soon as I can.

7. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Reading it myself, that's not how I took it. Seemed more to me that he just erased their memories.

8. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    The way I understood it, Flatline worked on a way to take one person's Spark and consciousness, and basically break that into two or three parts and giving it to new bodies. The new forms would then essentially be like Reflector; individuals, but who have the same memories and personalities as their brothers/sisters. It only seems like they are linked because they act so much the same, and I assume they have some kind of way to communicate between each other.
    The Twins were an early attempt to do this, but maybe instead of using protoforms he tried to mix exchange half of their sparks, something that obviously went horribly wrong?

Shame they didn't combine, because this could have been a neat little attempt to explain the Constructicons and Devastator, or even the protoform warriors from RotF.

9. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

I think he did way more than just erase their memories. I'll try to pull up the exact quote but Arcee said something like "You poor things, Flatline's experiments really messed up your processors."

10. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    It seemed to me that Flatline had tried to reprogram the Twins but ended up messsing up their processors instead, hence why they seemed 'slower' to process information.

The Arcee triplets i got the sense of being essentially three parts of Arcee. They were linked in consciousnesses and perceptions. All three acted together perfectly and they could all speak the same utterances simultaneously as well as finishing each other's sentences off. But there did also seem to be some capacity for independent thoughts and actions in each of them as a result of being 3 separate individuals.

11. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Wow... gives me a newfound sentiment for the Twins and Arcee.

Hearkens back to Defiance? Oh :bay  yeah!