Tales of the Fallen #4-- didn't pick up yet

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by UltraMagnus3786, Nov 30, 2009.

1. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

Did anyone pick up number 4? I couldn't bring myself to do it yet, but perhaps on someone else's recommendation. I hate to drop it since it's the last issue, but the whole run was subpar IMO.

2. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Neither Here Nor There

News Credits:
    Umm there's 2 more issues to go...

Issue was cool, especially how it related with Jetfire's

3. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    I agree, it related to Jetfire's really well. And I like the backstory of the Primes and such as explained in the movieverse, so this issue was neat for that, and for the good looks we got at all the Primes. But I think the story was a little rushed and somewhat subpar. Didn't work well that they put the whole Fallen backstory in one issue of a series that's named for him. Felt alittle crammed. The art is okay. Overall a decent issue, and I'd pick it up just because it's about the series' namesake.

Ravage is next, and then I think Arcee?

4. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Neither Here Nor There

News Credits:
    You are correct

5. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    I think it's the best of the series so far. At a few points I had a little trouble figuring out what was going on, but that was because of the artist's incredibly muddled art more than anything else. Thank goodness Milne is taking over next issue.

Oh and *SPOILERS*

It would appear that, as far as Furman's concerned, the Allspark is Unicron or at least some artifact of his. The comic mentions Primus and the Allspark seems to be an evil force, "birthed in the singularity" that made the Universe. (The Unicron singularity? From Cybertron?) Wonder how this will play out in "Transformers: Nefarious".
    Also, the Fallen having a huge weapons cache stored away and then using creating portals, reaching into them, and drawing out various weapons in the midst of battle? AWESOME.
    I'm not sure what happened at the end, though. What is it with those little triangle-portals? And why did the Fallen transform into some meteor-thing for one panel, only to transform back to his normal self again?

6. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    OMG enough with the whole Unicron/Primus crap, cant Furman come up with anything else? didnt pick up thanks for helping me save $4 though

7. Beastbot X

News Credits:
    Unicron and Primus are in all TF universes, according to Hasbro-- same with the original 13. The Allspark/Unicron thing honestly makes complete sense how they go about it, especially after we've seen what the Allspark can do.
    And I doubt Furman could use an explanation like this without Hasbro being behind it in some form. Honestly, between this and the surprisingly detailed but still vague-at-parts explanation behind Nexus Prime in the most recent Club Magazine, I think Hasbro already has the basic multiversal story for the 13 hammered out pretty nicely, and we're seeing hints of it now.

8. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    So are we honestly led to believe that not only was it Optimus who first defeated the Fallen (and then conveniently forgot about it), but also that the Primes died before they could create that tomb?

9. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    I don't really see how you think that's supposed to be Optimus. His great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great ancestor, yes, but Prime himself?

10. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    It's a dead ringer for Prime's Cybertronian form. Even the head! It's exactly like him!

11. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    Still waiting for my copy to arrive in the post, but sounds interesting from what you're all saying.

12. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    What were you expecting with a book about The Fallen? The Fallen was one of the Thirteen, the first Transformers created by Primus, and betrayed him to serve Unicron. Hasbro have already said at BotCon movie Fallen is the same guy we saw in The War Within. So yes, too bad for you then that it's Hasbro's canon.

Also, in rebuttle to your assertion that "Furman [can't] come up with anything else", IDW's G1 universe, as started by Furman, specifically avoided mentioning Primus or Unicron. In fact, any and all references to such during this period were made by other writers, not Furman.

13. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

It´s not rare for transformers to have similiar types of bodies tho, Seekers, Blackout/Grindor.... It could very well be Prime´s ancestour with a similar type of body.

14. Beastbot X

News Credits:
    Yeah, I think the artist could have made him a bit more different from Optimus Prime himself, but reading through the comics I think it's fairly obvious it's Prime's ancestor. (Again, HOORAY FOR MILNE taking over next comic!)

15. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Bah. I'll blame the lazy and plain bad art as usual then. Isn't the artist for this the same one as with Sideswipe's comic, where he blatantly traced Demolisher's toy?

Gotta love convulated attempts at tying shows/comics together.

16. Beastbot X

News Credits:
    It's the same guy who's done all of the Tales of the Fallen comics so far.

17. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Wait, the Fallen who was a freaking nightmare on DW is the same Fallen of the movieverse, who´s a wuss?

Wow...

18. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    Just read it. I'm wondering whether the 'Optimus'-like Prime was indeed just his ancestor or was he actually him? Certainly a spitting image of Optimus (save for the red eyes). It is possible that he could be early Optimus is it not? I mean, if all the Primes were meant to have been killed by the Fallen, then where was Optimus during all this? He had to have been created whilst the Primes were still alive at some point surely?

I think this back-story for the Fallen probably is based on the early drafts of the movie script tho', because in the movie, the Primes weren't killed by the Fallen, they just sacrificed themselves to hide the Matrix in a tomb made of their own bodies. The Fallen apparently kills all but one of his brothers in this comic and is trapped in another dimension by his last surviving brother Prime. The last Prime that sends the Fallen into his sarcohagus prison might well be Optimus (sure looks like him), which would fit in with Optimus being the 'last Prime'. Of course, i think this version of events was changed in the final movie with Optimus being made an unknown descendent of the Primes rather than one of their actual initial number. If this early version of the movie story had been kept, then Optimus would have fought The Fallen twice during their existences, the first time imprisoning him, the second, killing him.

19. Khan-Gar

Khan-Gar Banned

The "Optimus-descendant" was probably just to repurpose Prime's cybertronian robot mode.

20. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

the art in this book was significantly better than previous books, altho by no means was it great. only slightly subpar this time around.

on the whole i thought it was a pretty decent read. I just wish Furman would know how to write in different voices-- the Fallen sounded like any other Furman character. I think there was a line in there like "witness the concerto of carnage"... to me that's out of character for an ancient prime, especially when we've heard the Fallen speak in the movie. I don't know, maybe that was a bad example. I think the plot was good but some of the dialogue was off.