Tales of the Fallen #3

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by UltraMagnus3786, Oct 27, 2009.

1. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

Part 3 of this saga follows Jetfire as a seeker. The story starts with Jetfire activating the sun harvester and destroying a planet with life on it. Upon returning to Cybertron, The Fallen praises him and hints at a revolution against the other Primes. They enter the chamber of the primes and the two are confronted. The Fallen is power hungry for the energy obtained from the dead star and argues the ends justify the means, but he is warned not to activate the sun harvester on any more planets with life. They leave, The Fallen activates the constructicon drones, and they head to earth to build another harvester. Upon finding life, Jetfire orders them to stop-- and that's when all hell breaks loose. The Fallen sends his drones after Jetfire as the Primes warp in to face the Fallen. Jetfire defeats the constructicons but is badly damaged and wanders the earth for eternity until he's literally hit with a crashing plane. He then reformats himself into the jet we see in RoTF.

A lot of action happened in this story, and I think it's the best one yet. Great characterization, great way to establish the Fallen's ambitions/motivations. I'm glad Jetfire was portrayed as a worker with morals as opposed to a mere turncoat. When his master did evil, he jumped ship. There's not much I can really say about this story, it's all in the pages. Nicely self-contained, and it gave us some much needed periphery to the main RoTF story. Whereas, IMO, the first two stories were pretty weak (Bumblebee is lonely, Sideswipe is seeking revenge), this is quite strong. Didn't Chris Mowry write the Reign of Starscream book? Anyway, 4.5/5 for the story.

I still dislike the art, but a few of the closeups on the Fallen's face were nicely drawn.

Happy reading mates!

2. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Yeah, Mowry wrote The Reign of Starscream, Alliance and Defiance.

3. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Read it this morning. Loved it. My favorite of the 3 so far.

I think it's a very good and fitting backstory to Jetfire. It shows when and why he went Decepticon, why he changed sides, how he knows the Fallen, and how he got his alt. form.

Also a nice backstory to the constructicons and how they became involved with the Decepticons as well.

4. UltraMagnus3786

reign of starscream and defiance were phenomenal. i thought alliance was greatly lacking though

5. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    The series is definitely improving as it goes on. Carlos Magno's art still seems off in some places but I still think it is decent and works most of the time.

6. UltraMagnus3786

what kills me about the art is it's supposed to depict the complicated machines of the movies. bay went thru great lengths to make the bots realistic, mechanic aliens. liking or disliking is one thing, but we can all agree that the movie-verse's bots are intricate machines. alex milne and the other artists of the prequel comics captured this essence much better than magno IMO. his bots--and humans--look overly squishy, too organic, and lacking in detail. you don't get a sense for their size or their weight. it's all mush to me.

:banghead:  curses for not taking art classes in college to intelligently talk about the style. please excuse my inarticulate descriptions :) 

but then again, i am ignorant of art, i only know what i like and dislike. am i crazy? is the general opinion that the art in ToTF comics is of a high quality?

7. UltraMagnus3786

fit for natalie, do you have any inside scoop on carlos magno and why the art style was changed?

8. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Yeah, story was good, but the art is killing this book. It just doesn't suit the movie TFs at all.

9. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Alliance suffered from mainly a lack of space and partly existing to show the downfall of Sector Seven and its replacement by NEST. Needed more issues to show us in detail what NEST did.

Otherwise I think it's quite good, Mowry is my favourite live-action movie comics writer.

You'll need to read Alan Dean Foster's The Veiled Threat novel to find out just what NEST and the Autobots had been up to during that montage of missions around the world, as Foster wrote the book with IDW's comics in mind.

Nope, sorry. He's a newer artist to TF, so I didn't even know about him until the Tales of the Fallen books were released.

10. Aptom

Aptom Well-Known Member

the art in this book is so bad. its horrible. the colors suck and its badly drawn. there are loads of people on these boards who could do better. dont think ill be buying this anymore.

11. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    The artwork made my eyes ache. It was like a pen had been placed on the page, eyes closed, and scribbling started. Most of the time when the fighting was going on it took closer inspection to make out what was happening.
    The colours tried their best, but with everyone being some hue of grey the only real colours were explosions of blue or orange or green for the backgrounds, which turned the pages into panels of burst splotches.
    Story was okay but nothing particularly new.

12. libeskind

libeskind Well-Known Member

Haven't got this yet so I checked the previews to see what you guys were harping about the art.

...Wow, it's like I'm seeing something entirely different from what you guys are seeing :lol 

p.s. I am not this Carlos Magna feller, I swear.

13. UltraMagnus3786

uhhhh ok Carlos.

=P

lol, well it's as they say-- beauty is in the eye of the beholder.