Taking the GRE next Wed...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sixshot, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    Who here has taken the GRE? I'm applying for grad school at the end of Dec, and I am taking the general GRE next Wednesday. I'm looking at some test preparation materials. I talked to my gf's bro who has taken it, and he said it was similar to the SAT. Who here has taken it? Did you study? I've been out of school for a year but I'm a pretty smart student who went to college on an academic scholarship. It can be that much of a ballbuster can it?

2. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    thats...GREat. ah-hah.

3. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

Well, I will be honest with you, I did ont take that test. I would guess it is like the SAT or ACT. All I can do is wish you luck on the test.

4. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I took it. It was very similar to the SAT when I took it, with the addition of a third section that I think they called 'Logical Reasoning' or 'Spatial Reasoning.' I didn't study for it, but I've always done well on standardized tests. I did take a practice test or two about a week beforehand, though, just to get a feel for the questions. As for my scores...I got into the Masters program of my choice (the Masters of Education program at Ohio State), which is supposed to be fairly selective. So, I did well enough.

-Tony!

5. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

My girl is in the MAT program and she allready completed the GRE. She said it wasnt that hard but I know the MAT is brutal as hell and ive witnessed first hand how hard grad school is. Even if you pass your in for a long, hard, road of school and no life. Good luck.

6. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    I haven't even started studying for my GRE yet. Plan is to graduate in the spring, then study during the summer and take it in the fall, when I apply to grad programs.

Honestly, though, standardized tests have been shown to be poor predictors of future aptitude. Your GPA is a far, far better indicator of how you'll do in a new academic program.

7. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I took it a couple of years ago. I can't say how it compares to the SAT, as I've never taken that test, but I didn't find it all that difficult. I started studying about a month in advance, mostly because I had to brush up on some math that I hadn't used in about five years, but it didn't take me very long to remember everything again. After studying, I didn't have any problems with the math section (don't remember my score). The essay question was also very easy, although from what I read about the scoring you're pretty much guaranteed 3 points if you (a) actually respond, (b) respond in English and (c) have at least some degree of coherence to your response. The vocabulary part can be a bit difficult if you don't have a large vocabulary going in and that might be an area to focus on for studying.

Probably the best recommendation I could give is to review the concepts you're weak on, go through 'practice'/'mock' GREs to get used to the format and (most importantly) time yourself to make sure you can get the sections of the test done in the time allotted. Good luck!

8. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

I've never taken the GRE, but I did take the LSATs, which were a royal pain in the ass, so I'll wish you luck, at least as much as I had (and I needed it to get the score I got with the minimal practice and studying I did).