Taking faces.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by UnicronFTW, Mar 20, 2011.

1. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    So it's no mystery to the members of this forum that "Gimme yo face" has become an all time fave meme of the TF community.
    It got famous in 2009, with Revenge of the Fallen. At the films cilmax, Optimus Prime, in his jazzy new armor, rips the face of the Fallen off...
    But, lets put this in perspective...
    At first it seems like an incredibly out of character moment, am I right? Yes.
    Prime was always the soft speaking, violent only when necessary type fellow.
    Then why do that?
    I looked into it a bit more.
    What does the fallens face remind you of?
    Besides an egyptian pharaoh...
    If you havn't picked up on my drift yet, the fallen has a similar face to his brothers, the primes. The ancient ones at least...
    All the Primes we see in the film, concept art, etc, have quite a few similar things going on with their face.
    The tall crest, the strands of (hair?) going out to the sides, the eyes. All alike, though none are identical.
    So, if the fallen's face was similar to his much more respectable brothers, then that face must represent a lineage of some kind. That tall crest, and the strands to the sides.
    Imaginen if you were a traitor to your cause... and those in your cause wore red shirts.
    You keep wearing this red shirt, long after you abandoned that cause... then someone comes up to reap their vengeance on your traitor-ish nature.
    They see the red shirt... the symbol of that worthy cause... a cause you're no longer a part of... what does that person realize?
    "You don't deserve that shirt!" so they rip it off you.

So... whose to say that didn't happen with the fallen?
    The brothers he had, who set out with a worthy cause, not to kill anybody, but he betrays that cause by trying to set the harvester on earth anyway... Prime probably wouldn't want him wearing that face anymore, that face that represents his fallen brothers, and in a way, what those brothers stood for... so Prime would take that face off of him.
    Does that make sense?

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I figured it was a little more simple since The Fallen's face is basically the Decepticon logo, so ripping that off is the ultimate middle-finger to the 'Cons.

3. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    ... That's true too.

4. Phil

Phil Well-Known Member

I figured Optimus just really likes ripping decepticons' faces off.

Gotta fill that trophy room with something

5. Sideways77

Sideways77 some garbage is okay

News Credits:

Yeah. Prime got tired of collecting Beenie Babies and storing them in the trophy room.

6. Wheeljack94

Wheeljack94 Autobot Lycan

News Credits:
    so how do you explain him riping out his spark chamber and crushing it with his bare hands? prime may be soft spoken and calm, but everyone gets pissed.

7. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Faceless or not, the Fallen still couldn't be allowed to survive.

8. The F.N.G.

The F.N.G. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Read this very same theory on tvtropes Wild Mass Guessing page. Quote:

Optimus was gonna kill the Fallen, but not before making his appearance match his name: The Fallen Prime.

9. Trypticon 2010

Trypticon 2010 Well-Known Member

I think you've read WAY too much into that scene.

Bay thought it would be cool to see OP kill the baddie in that way, nothing to do with the other primes or what The Fallen represented.

10. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I always saw the "taking faces moment" justified.

Why? Well, let's see who was The Fallen: The guy who was supposed to help Cybertron, yet he SLAUGHTERED ALL THE PRIMES [Who are also Optimus family, we should remember] at cold blood for his own gain, then he proceeded to single-handledly cause the greatest war in the history of Cybertron [said war having KILLED the planet], now he is back and he is going to destroy the entire solar system and create AN ARMY TO SLAVE AND CONQUER THE ENTIRE GALAXY.
    Oh, and he teached Megatron everything he knows.

In other words, The Fallen is/was responsible [directly or indireclty] for EVERY SINGLE SHIT that happened in Optimus' life, from losing his brothers [Primes] to FREAKING DYING [he was the one to sent Megatron to kill Optimus, remember?]

I don't blame Optimus for hating him, he is the Hitler [Godwin's Law be damned!] of Cybertron [an immortal, badass and superpowered version of Hitler, that is] he could murder the shit out of him with a chainsaw and still would be justified for God's sake!

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Well, really the whole final fight was rushed out the door.

12. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    remember the phrase "short but sweet"? :D 

13. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

I think they just wanted Prime to be BadAss but he seems worse than Megatron.

14. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Didn't know that this theory was already on Tropes.
    And I know that Bay just wanted prime to be badass... just saying, that this is a good way to justify prime, and make him look less like a coldblooded murderer.

15. Cliff_prime

Cliff_prime Banned

With sentinel prime in the stop light you will think bay will make him more badass than prime.

16. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

Amen, brother. If anyone deserved getting their face ripped off, it was the Fallen.

17. Phil

Phil Well-Known Member

That's how I like my Optimus. I wanna be just as afraid of him as I am of Megatron.

18. The F.N.G.

The F.N.G. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fear and respect in equal measure. Megatron tries to rule through fear alone. With Optimus you respect his leadership, but know that if you harm innocents/betray/piss him off he has the power to tear you apart.

I wasn't the one who put it there, but I think it's a good thing. Finding your own theory already online means there are others who had the exact same thought. Gives it more weight and meaning.

19. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    not a bad theory, but I'm pretty sure it was just awesomeness shining through.

20. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    'Give me your face' will forever remain out of character for me, along with ripping Grindor's head open.

To my mind, Optimus, although violent when necessary (e.g. when protecting innocent lives), would always be one to give an opponent a quick, clean death no matter how despicable they were. See how G1 Optimus gunned down all those Decepticons in the 1986 film, or how Movie Optimus dispatched Bonecrusher in the 2007 flick. He gave them soldier's deaths; he was forceful, without being excessive. That will forever be my image of Optimus in battle.