Taking cover in FOC?

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Agentknife, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Agentknife

Agentknife Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Does anyone have any clue as to what HM means by finding/taking cover. I'm hoping for a Gears of War style cover system. the lack of a cover system was one of only a handfull of bad things about WFC imo.

2. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm hoping for a cover system as well. As for what they meant? No idea. Perhaps they just meant standing behind pieces of environment, without actually having a cover system.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  3. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm personally hoping the idea of a cover system is burned, urinated upon, then buried under a mountain.

This game does not need a cover system.

There, I've said my peace.

4. shadowsfm

shadowsfm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah i hate being stuck in cover. that wouldn't work well in a game where speed and agility is important in staying alive.

5. Agentknife

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You don't have to be STUCK in cover for them to add a cover system. A cover system in a 3rd person shooter just makes sense. It was very annoying to me in WFC to be fighting this big battle with bullets flying at me from everywhere while there is great cover all around and I have to stand behind it and hope for the best. Then when I go to shoot back I have to step out from behind cover, always to the right, shoot at the enemy and step back behind whatever I'm hiding behind, repeat. When all of this is VERY unnessasary because (according to the book "The Art & Design of Gears of War") the Gears of War cover system is already on every Unreal game engine that Epic Games puts out.

I'm not advocating that HM turns FOC into Gears of War with transforming robots, but it would add another great polished layer of game play and tactics to the game. I hope that we can at least get into cover, blind fire, & hit the aim button to look out of cover shoot release the aim button and go back into cover.

6. shadowsfm

News Credits:
    at least we can switch guns from right hand to left. now wishing for duel weld

7. Agentknife

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    me too

8. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

While WFC had no mechanics designed for specifically taking cover, it did have a cover system: hiding behind things. While basic, it still works. I'm guessing they will not implement a Gears style cover system, as it may slow down the pace.

9. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thank GOD for this. I thought it was so stupid making a 3PS without the ability to switch hands or POV. It would be nice to have two guns, but I wouldn't want it for everyone, Seekers for sure, I think characters arleady share too many of the same things. I want a little more diversity. I wish some characters actually held their guns. I Wouldn't mind seeing the gun transform into a characters hand or out. I just hate how everyoneis so similar and I also miss seeing hands holding a weapon:( 

10. shadowsfm

News Credits:
    didn't characters hold their guns in dark of the moon? i thought it was so inconsistent and took me out of the game

11. Agentknife

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I also miss the hands holding weapons. That is one of my BIG complaints with the movies, WFC, & TF Prime. I think that having everyones hands transform into their weapons actually takes away from some of the cool and unique qualities of characters like Megatron & Shockwave. Meg's fusion cannon is always on his forearm and Shockwave doesn't even have a left hand, instead it is ALWAYS a gun. But who cares because EVERYBODIES hand is a gun now.

On the other hand I totally get how guns transforming out of their forearms makes sense for the fiction, I still don't like it, but I'm used to it now and I've grudgingly accepted it. And even though it doesn't jive with "my ideal" TFs I'm glade that HM has made FOC where you can switch gun hands with all of the characters, because that makes for a much better 3rd person shooter.

12. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I know in G1 several characters had gadgets of all sorts appear where hands once existed, but I fail to see why they couldn't have couldn't let weapons deploy from forearms or biceps. Everyone is the same and it is boring as all hell—more variation, and a bit more uniqueness differentiating the all Cybertronians from one another would be nice.

I had hope that we would weapons emerging from forearms when I saw the Game Informer cover with Optimus holding an injured Bumblebee, as Bumblebee's gun protruded from his forearm and not his hand, but alas it wasn't meant to be, assuming recent in-game stills are an indication of the game's progress:(  Just imagine if the Seekers’ guns had transformed around their biceps!

I also miss seeing characters reload their weapons...

13. decepticon2020

decepticon2020 Best there is @ what I do

I want body-sized cover to automatically transform from the ground right in front of you when you're running low on health, but we would have to pay for it somehow. Maybe some Energon is required, so a little bit of your health is taken, but you take cover and restore the rest of your health.

14. Starfire22

Starfire22 Wall crawling menace!

News Credits:
    Covering is for sissies. :p 

15. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Yeah....I'm not worried about a cover system either. I really don't it is necessary in a game like this.

16. Agentknife

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They do reload weapons in WFC and something that HM said leads me to believe that they will again in FOC.

17. Agentknife

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cover is always necessary in a shooter...unless your Grimlock.

18. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I agree cover is good but a cover mechanic is not necessary in every shooter.

19. decepticon2020

decepticon2020 Best there is @ what I do

Yeah cuz he got a shield!

20. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They have reloading animation? Guess I forgot:tongue:  Still, I'd like to see more variation in the way characters hold their weapons and the types of weapons they have.

I like the idea of a cover system which requires Energon for shielding that sounds like a lot fun, I figure it would also make us to play a bit stealthier, as using the cover puts a player that much closer to death.