Customs: Taking care of your customs!

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Superquad7, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    plowking and I were discussing this issue tonight, so I thought I'd see what you guys would have to say about this topic:

Many of us spend a lot of time and other resources creating our customs. We spend a good deal of our time shooting photo galleries and posting threads to share our work with others. Some of us even sell our pieces.

But when a the creation process has reached the end of a piece, what measures do you guys take in taking care of your work? Feel free to post your comments!

Attached Files:

2. mattarmstrong

mattarmstrong Well-Known Member

I personally pick the mode I like the best place it is a large ziplock and store it in a rubbermaid container with padding between each of them untill I get a place to display the that is

3. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    IF I made the custom myself I always seal it real good and let it cure out of harms way. For my figures that stay on my shelves they get a good dusting by me or the wifey every week.

4. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I have a shelf in my office for my customs. Divided by Autobots and Decepticons (w// Fallen in the middle :lol )

I've been playing with the idea of selling some of my customs, but I don't think I can bear to part with them.

5. TheDevastator

TheDevastator Decepticon

For my combiners, which are most of my projects, I just combine them and put them on my G1/G2 figure shelf. I used to regularly combine and separate my Constructicon customs before Bruticus and Defensor moved in. I don't really dust them, but they do pick up a bit of dust. When I get a proper shelf for them I'll wipe off that protective layer of dust.

6. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    all of my customs are in my display cases. The amount of dust that gets in them is minimal, thankfully, so they happily stay in there. I do occasionally get them out, but I mostly made a point of setting things up so they were easily visible so I can stop and admire them from time to time.

I always take care to make my customs so that they won't have but minimal at worst paint wear, but I am still always afraid to TF them, just because of all the hard work that went into creating them.

7. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I do not let them just sit around "out in the open" you're just asking for a mistake to happen, 'cause the next thing you know, its on the floor....broke.

I keep them in a glass display case. That way dusting is kept to a minimum.

I do not tf them just to show somebody that it will tf...your bound to mess something up.

I do not "play" with them. I pose them, and thats it.

Once in a while I may "exercise" the joints, just to make sure that nothing has stuck together.

I keep them away from children.

I keep them out of direct sunlight.

I look at/treat them as if they are priceless pieces of art....you dont see someone drawing on the Mona Lisa do you?...:lol 

I do smell them from time to time....nothing like the smell of a painted Alt.

8. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
  9. Valdric_gundam

Valdric_gundam Aes Sedai

personely I would take care of mine for like a weak and after that, I would posibly forget they're there and take them apart for more customes... if I had any costomes.

10. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    Until I get a glass showcase, All my customs go on my top shelves.
    I dust them with compressed air from a distance once a month.
    NOBODY (but me) including my wife touches them.
    My cats have been trained to go nowhere near my bookcases.
    My friends like to play with and move my TF's as a joke but they all know not to touch the top shelves.
    My customs are the prizes of my collection.

11. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I don't have any pets, but training the cats to stay away? I'm impresssed!

12. Nemesis Predaking

News Credits:
    Yup, My wife thought I was nuts when I told her I planned on training the cats to stay away. But it worked & my TF's are kitty free. :lol 

13. clay

clay Well-Known Member

I'm pretty laid back with mine. When my friends come over, I encourage them to play with the customs instead of just ogling them. I mean, I make them to be fiddled around and played with, so if anything gets scuffed up or damaged, I just fix it.

I guess that's how I rate whether I'm happy with a kitbash or not: if it looks the way I want it to, and I can play with it without the joints chipping paint, I'm happy.

Ultimately, I would like some fancy glass cases to keep the dust off, but that's just to reduce cleaning for everything.

I don't put anything important on the top shelf. It has farther to fall that way.

14. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Since my current project has me mixing my own color, I'd like to add to the discussion here that I usually make a sizable quantity of paint when I mix a color. Additionally, one of the advantages of using the basic colors of Testors paints is that getting more isn't that difficult (even if Wal*mart refuses to carry them any longer).

If I know ahead of time that a part will be extremely sensitive to paint rubbing, I try to sand the part down before I paint it to alleviate some of the potential damage that may occur. plowking pointed out the benefit of transforming customs - to "exercise" the pieces joints so that paint doesn't stick to paint.

I clear coat certain pieces as well, but I don't clear coat whole projects that much anymore, because paint itself is typically pretty durable if the custom is handled well. I use anywhere from 5 to fifteen layers of paint on a given piece, sanding in between each coat normally. I feel that's about enough to "secure" most of my paint apps. :) 

In terms of display, I have a shelf that all of my Alts/BTs are on. I'd like to have something that encases things, but I like the shelf I have. :) 

15. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

At Marshall's they have those Wood Bases in different shapes. I've been thinking of painting and decaling some for my custom Primes. I have at least 2 or 3 spare cans on Krylon in odd colors that would make a good base color.

I won't be so lucky with daughter. 9 month olds love bright red truck robots :thumb 

16. StarFire_MK2

StarFire_MK2 'Till All are One! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    All of mine are on shelves, out of direct sunlight but not glassed in. I make sure the paints are fully cured before articulating them, and transform them rarely. They get posed, and that's about it.

I have no freakin' idea what I'll do when we finally have kids!!

17. Nemesis Predaking

News Credits:
    When I use to live with my brother, We gave my niece 2 of her very own TF's. We told her those were hers & the rest were mine. It worked out well, but that was when I had just got back into collecting I only had about 5 TF's.