Takatoku Orguss Orgoid

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Liokaiser, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
  2. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I had one but sold it a couple months ago to pay for SOC toys. I liked it, but I never played with it that much so I got rid of it so someone else could appreciate it. They're typically very well made, almost like a 1/55 Valkyrie. I was always a little bummed that the shoulders didn't rotate so you could put the arms straight out, but that's just a minor gripe.

The one in the auction is the less common ORson Special, which has a brown cockpit canopy rather than green. You can get the green canopy version MUCH cheaper,and I always thought the green looked better anyway. I got mine for $140 and sold it for around that same price. It was in perfect condition with no peeling stickers, complete, and the packaging was in gorgeous shape. I think $150 is an average price for these things.

I personally prefer the little Palm Action Orgroid that came out this year from MegaHouse, but a lot of people are turned off by the small size of that one. It looks absolutely killer though. It's really hard to find at the moment for some reason.
    http://www.hlj.com/product/MEG80686
    Twin Moons has one in stock, and they're in the US. (not to mention a fantastic store)
    http://www.tmpanime.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&manufacturers_id=68&products_id=1972

*edit* I noticed it's a preorder at Twin Moons, not sure what that means unless there is a second run coming out.

3. Cobra_Commander

Cobra_Commander Master of tactics TFW2005 Supporter

:lol  it looks like a more kiddy macross figure

4. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I vaguely remember the cartoon. Damn expensive toy!

I have just bought Palm Action Layzner, and I normally like tiny figures, but this one was very disappointing even though I wasn't expecting much to begin with (thanks to the lukewarm reviews). Fortunately I didn't pay much for it. So I assume the series has improved :) 

5. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:

What was metal on the robot?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  6. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    What was wrong with the Palm action Layzner? I was going to get some of those figures. I haven't read any reviews on them.

7. Rewind

News Credits:
    The feet for sure, and the swing bars for transformation. There may be more but I don't recall. One thing that's cool that I rarely see mentioned is the cockpit can be opened and there is a removable pilot.

8. Rewind

News Credits:
    I never got that one but I've heard mixed reviews. I know some people avoided the Orguss toys after the Layzner. I think really the main thing that people criticize on the Orgroid is that it's very small. Also that some of the pieces need to be removed or swapped to put him into the hover-mode (for lack of a better term). That never bothered me because I only like the bot and jet modes and he can be left completely intact for that transformation.

Other than that, I found it to be very well made and the design/engineering is brilliant for a toy so small. There are so many small moving parts but it's not so complicated that it's frustrating to transform. Also the plastic is very high-quality and resilient so it's not liable to break apart in your hand, even though it feels light and 'fragile'.

I love it to pieces, but I can understand the criticisms it gets. For something that can be $50 after shipping it's not the most 'impulse' little toy you can buy, which also makes it harder for people to check out.

How about this: As the Great Enabler, I fully endorse the MegaHouse Palm Action Orguss Orgroid. :D 

9. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    At one point I'm going to get one. :D  Hopefully I can find an original one much cheaper.

10. Rewind

News Credits:
    As an interesting aside, a few months back someone at ToyBoxDX had obtained an Orgroid for just 15 bucks because it was in such nasty shape. The thing looked like it had been at the bottom of well, then spent some time in the sewer, then got buried for several years. It looked really disgusting and beyond hope. BUT, the guy was able to clean it up and it looked like a new toy once he got all the grime off it. I thought that was a perfect testament to how well-made the old Takatoku Orgroid is. :) 

Check it out:
    http://toyboxdx.com/phorum/read.php?4,172488,172880#msg-172880

11. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    Awesome story. :lolol 

12. shifty02

shifty02 Greetings Programs

I have the Orguss and I like it. It's designed by the same chap that designed all the Macross toys. I also have the Nikick from the same series.
    I had a smaller version of the Nikick when I was younger, then years and years later, I was able to find out what the hell it was and buy the big verson :D 

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Unfortunatly the Orguss I acquired has major sun damage :( 

13. SydneyY

News Credits:
    I read Palm Action Layzner reviews at amazon jp before buying one. 9 out of 10 people are very disappointed (even angry) with the poor quality of the figure. So I knew it wouldn't be very exciting.

I knew of its size anyway and that was the reason I got it. Considering its original price (2600yen) I still thought it'd be at least decent.
    I think I am more or less unhappy about the feel of the figure. I was expecting something like Actic Gear (Turbo Custom Dog is about the same price), I reckon. AG is flimsy, but has a look and feel of a small version of larger models.
    This Layzner is, while very articulated, still looks like a gashapon toy.

Orgroid sounds like a huge step up from Layzner. Being bulkier helps, too, I think. Transformable feature is a big plus, too :) 

Liokaiser, sorry about :hijacked: 

14. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
  15. SydneyY

News Credits:
    That kit looks really nice!

16. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
  17. jason jupiter

jason jupiter weird/ rare g1 KO hunter

is "ORson special" the nickname for the brown canopy version 1/40 orguss orgoid??

i've never heard that before and am confused because the "olson special" is a completely different 1/40 with new colors and a new head sculpt:
    http://www.toyboxdx.com/datafiles/data/takatoku2/images/orguss/olson140.jpg

i got into orguss a couple years ago and slowly got everything i wanted...i was so psycho that I was the guy working with my roomate in japan to get this series out with good subtitles. I believe we finished 1-5.

mikimoto, the same character designer from macross, did the orguss charecters.

but kawamori, the guy who did macross mecha and the masterpiece starscream, did not do the orguss mecha....kazutaka did the orguss stuff.

ah man, seeing this thread makes me want to dig all that stuff up again.

that ebay guy, redstarrobot, has some really good vintage stuff.

18. Rewind

News Credits:
    I probably have the terms/names confused, I'm not that educated on Orguss in general. I've seen it spelled "Orson" and "Olson" at different places, mainly because of the "r" and "l" quagmire with most Japanese translated words. I thought I had read the brown canopy version was the Olson/Orson Special, but like I said, I don't know much. :)  I DO know the brown canopy version usually sells for a much higher price though.

19. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:

Word. I been eyeing a bunch of that stuff. *looks at wallet*

20. Rewind

News Credits:
    [enabler] JUST BUY IT ALREADY! [/enabler]

:p