TakaraTomy to Ban 3rd Party Products from Japan?

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Ricochet, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

I can see Takara getting angry about Faith Leader and other direct KOs, however high quality they may be. I doubt they'd be cool with CHMS, and I can't really blame them. I wouldn't blame them if they didn't like Warbot or things like that either. (In truth, I sort of believe that Warbot is why we haven't seen an official Springer.)

What I can't understand is why they'd want to ban the accessories. Having a 3PC making a replacement head for, as an example, Classics Cliffjumper was never going to hurt sales. Now, I grant you that, as another example, Ultra Magnus was no longer being sold and was out of print by Hasbro at the time FP's City Commander armor was released. So no, City Commander wasn't going to help Hasbro's sales at the time. But now, whenever I see a figure that I'm sort of iffy about...like, say for instance, whatever the newest re-release of Classics Rodimus will be...I am actually more likely to buy it because I know that even though it may not be as cool as I'd like it to be, there is at least a chance that FP or somebody is going to make a kick-ass accessory like Protector armor which will change that figure from "meh" to "MUST HAVE!" And I look at every figure now that way. Don't quite dig the way it looks? Hey, maybe someone will make a mod. I'll buy it.

And customization? There is absolutely nothing wrong with selling a customized figure. That figure has already been bought and paid for and should be the owner's to do with as he pleases. Selling it is no different than re-selling an unmodified toy. I don't know why any corporation would want to go after customizers. Heck, those are usually the guys who buy two or three copies of each toy just so they have parts! (And an original to go in their collection.)

2. zeroomegazx

zeroomegazx I'm watching you...

News Credits:
    Please explain Windcharger and the G1 legends to me then.

3. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

They can all be found, particularly the G1 legends figures. You are not looking hard enough.

4. zeroomegazx

News Credits:
    Upstate NY usually gets things about 3 weeks after they are released yet I have seen multiple stores that have not gotten anything new since xmas time. One store in about a 212 mile radius got in the Kup wave, even NYC TRU has had issues actually getting things in.

Online is great for ordering things but most stores have such preorder limits (Generations Warpath) that If you dont catch it on time you are SOL.

5. zeroomegazx

News Credits:
    I drive all over New York State and found none. There is even rumor Windcharger was canceled as US stores have yet to get him in, in any sort of reputable fashion.

6. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    If they were to try to take out some Conehead KOs too all (might) be forgiven.

Too much to hope for i guess.

7. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    at least that's upstate NY, zero. At long island here, we still have the same crap on the shelves. I mean, Generations wave 2.

8. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What do you need explaining? I got them. Through ordering online.

Also, Hasbro cancelling these figures is one single incident and not the norm. For the 6 or so figures that will now get cancelled, they've also released over 25 in the same series that are available to you.

And every two years fans are complaining that the Michael Bay movies are ruining Transformers, that they're destroying the chance of ever seeing G1-Universe Transformers again. And guess what? So far, every time Hasbro has answered that with more and better G1-Universe toylines.

9. Battleconvoy005

Battleconvoy005 Banned

Im wondering what specific actions Takaratomy are taking? Is it legal action, is this a warning, or is it "Dont sell 3rd party or we will stop supplying you with our products"?

10. zeroomegazx

News Credits:
    This whole past 8 months have been redonkulous with wave distribution. Ever since October when stores around our area stocked up on xmas stuff that has seemed to be the end of new influx waves of a lot of hasbro toys (TF and otherwise).

Granted these are toys but its still a product. If I hear Hasbro bitch about the lack of sales which I have a feeling they will, and decide to put generations/classics on the back burner AGAIN like in 2007 I'm going to be a bit upset.

A lot of us have been waiting since fall for these new waves in stores. Without the internet many of my fellow collectors would never have had any. I talk to fans in Michigan, Penn, Maine, DC, and all i hear is the same. The waves have not pushed to a good majority since xmas season. I am so sick of seeing 2+ year old ROTF shelf warmers I could puke lol.

The only new item I HAVE seen in stores regularly is the Battle in Space sets, which doesnt make sense. How can you have something new like that but not the deluxe waves?

Meanwhile we've had great 3rd party items like Protector and the Camera set coming along that actually get released and are easy to find. I say if Has/Tak wants to cancel 3rd party items that are based on products they havent used in 20+ years they had better be releasing something related.

11. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

No shit? Damn, if only I'd read a huge ass thread about that somewhere...

Y'know, there's this new way you can buy things. People will actually bring them to your house! You don't even have to put on pants. Don't tell anybody, but they're starting to sell things through (looks left and right to make sure no one's looking)...THE INTERNET. I kid you not. People out there are literally willing to trade their Transformers for your money. Even people on this very forum.

I say again. You are just not looking hard enough.

12. zeroomegazx

News Credits:
    ROTF didn't hurt generations/classics but the 2007 movie did. Need I remind everyone about the Animated toyline debacle?

I bet you did get your items online, but I am not paying a scalper from canada $50 for a windcharger. The G1 classics and Windcharger were sold out in hours online through preorders like warpath was.

13. zeroomegazx

News Credits:
    I've bought every wave online, its the only way I knew I'd get all of the items. I told people this BACK IN OCTOBER that this would happen but noone woudl listen to me. I get whinning all the time that people can't find things in stores and won't order online due to the $5+ markup. The only items I wasn't able to find were the G1 legends and Windcharger at an online retailer. I do however stop to many stores on my travels just to break up my long driving hours and this is what I've seen.

14. bcm77

bcm77 Not A Proper Fan.

2 TF's aren't getting a US release and it's like the sky is falling :rolleyes: 

Unless you live in Europe or anywhere else with a history of piss poor distribution shut the hell up because you really haven't a clue about how good you have things for at least 98% of the time.

Instead of using your computer to complain about Hasbro I suggest you do what we usually get told to do if we complain..............suck it up and start looking online.

But I suspect that won't happen because many US collectors seem to be cheapskates even though the prices are so low compared to everywhere else.

15. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

The 2007 movie didn't do anything different than ROTF did. Classics stopped, and then after TF07 spent its wad of figures, Universe fired up. It died with ROTF and along comes Generations. WTF are you even talking about?

16. zeroomegazx

News Credits:
    I order all my TF's online, I am simply stating what I've seen for those who do not order online.

17. zeroomegazx

News Credits:
    We are all getting a little off topic. I'd be more than happy to talk about this in detail if you want to take it to a new thread with me.

18. bcm77

bcm77 Not A Proper Fan.

OK my bad, sorry if I thought you were another of those people I've seen acting all butthurt because of a rare case of US distribution not being what it should be.

Back on topic, the hammer is starting to fall on the 3rd party companies. It was only a matter of time but it won't stop my buying them unless it becomes too costly for places like Kapow to import them.

19. zeroomegazx

News Credits:
    As long as add-on sets like Fansprojects main work don't get canceled I will be fine. I think some of the items stated canceled are very close to the line, even though I did want some.

I still want to know if BBTS will be shipping PE-11 though or if its been totally cancelled.

20. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Actually, it makes perfect sense. As far as stores are concerned, 24 HFD Electrostatic Jolts (which is close to what I see on hooks around here) are the same as having 6 RTS G2 Primes, 6 Wreck-Gars, 6 Perceptors, and 6 RTS Bumblebees.

The Battle in Space set is a new sku so that's all there is.