TakaraTomy Masterpiece Dinobot

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Type-R, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:

Idk, just DO IT.

My comment was just exageration. But if you take too seriously, that's your problem

• Like Like x 1
  2. Actar

Actar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What was the turn around time for Primal and Cheetor? Did we see them in magazines that quickly?

3. Darkstone

Darkstone Code of Hero

News Credits:
    Primal had a hell of a long road before we saw anything. They announced him via a maquette of the show model but after that we didn't hear anything about it for like 6 months. Then we saw renders of the prototype in a magazine and got prototype pics a month later, also through a magazine. We mostly got every update either through magazine scans or Takara's special web show, it was on display once or twice at events but that's about it.

Cheetor was revealed via a silhouette, like Dinobot, we saw the prototype exactly one month after that on display at Tokyo Toy Show but the Figure Oh magazine of the same month also had some new photos of the prototype.

So if Cheetor is any indication chances aren't bad that they show us the Dinobot prototype soon. I mean we have no big toy show up until June I think and I don’t think they'll wait that long.

4. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

Ebay:
    A simple browse back through the News on this very site tells us:

Cheetor
    Teased/announced - Masterpiece Cheetor Confirmation & Silhouette! - Transformers News - TFW2005 - 11th May 2016
    Prototype images - MASTERPIECE CHEETOR First Prototype Image! - Transformers News - TFW2005 - 10th June 2016
    Magazine scans- New Image of Masterpiece Cheetor Prototype from Figure King Magazine - Transformers News - TFW2005 - 22nd June 2016
    So that's about a month and a half.

Primal
    Teased/announced - Tokyo Toy Show Takara Transformers Panel Roundup - MASTERPIECE IRONHIDE & GORILLA CONVOY/OPTIMUS PRIMAL, Unite Warriors Devastator, Elbows, & More! - Transformers News - TFW2005 - 20th June 2015
    Magazine scans/render - Masterpiece Optimus Primal Render - Transformers News - TFW2005 - 21st December 2015
    heh about 6 months...

I personally expect it to be more like the turn around on Cheetor though, Primal was announced early and with little more than a static render of the show's character model.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    I expect dinobot to be revealed the same time as optimus and barricade.

6. HnH

HnH Masterpiece dumbass

News Credits:
    i'll keep my fingers crossed for the upcoming magazines....sure a bit of wishfull thinking but hey a guy has gotta dream right

7. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Maybe tomorrow we will get a magazine, we got the magazine that revealed megatron in a 21th day.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Dinotrap

Dinotrap The bw collector

Its being like 30 days since he was announced, I honestly thought It would drag in but that flew by. I really hope there is something in this magazine I can feel myself getting really hyped up until its released :D 

9. Chopper Face

Chopper Face Emissary of The Vok

So I actually went for it and took a stab at designing Dinobot's transformation today. I pretty much just did one area at a time and then tried to stick all the parts together at the end. It semi worked out but trying to show everything you're trying to do in drawings is so much harder than I expected.
    So to begin; here's the lower legs which I have opening up, turning inside out with inner panels and then being reassembled as the raptor belly.
    IMG_0257.JPG

Next is just them bending backwards to sit in position much like the original chug but this time they don't look like legs anymore. The raptor tail will plug into a tab on the underside of the bot head once it's flipped around to store between the raptor legs.
    IMG_0258.JPG

I then have the raptor neck split open, inner panels fold out and wrap around to cover the raptor skin with the front part of his blue torso, the Dino head slides down and the torso snaps into place next to it creating a broad basis for his upper body.
    IMG_0259.JPG

The faux chest is part of the lower raptor back and it folds up, spins around and sits atop the already formed torso. Robot head is attached under the faux chest and it spins to store upside down in beast mode- shown later on. The arms also end up being permanently attached to the faux chest so pretty much the whole frontal upper body swings into position together. There are panels on the faux chest to help collapse it more in beast mode for the more streamlined raptor look.
    IMG_0260.JPG

This is where things get really technical and probably impossible to achieve in reality. The robot hand first hinges upwards around the forearm towards the bicep which opens up revealing a hollow upper arm, then you open a forearm panel which has been storing the raptor foot which folds out leaving the forearm looking slimmer. Unfold the toe claws and finally bend the leg so the bot hand fits into the bicep gap and the panel sits over it concealing it. I can't decide if I like this because of how panelly it is but it's the only way I could make the arm into a convincing raptor leg without kibble everywhere.
    IMG_0261.JPG
    That's an attempt to show where everything is so far. Not particularly clear.
    IMG_0262.JPG

This is the raptor arms attacked to a raptor chest panel which will fold up revealing some blue robot back. Raptor arms just hinge around and store inside the bot chest cavity.
    IMG_0263.JPG

Last minute additions after I realised there was random gaps.
    IMG_0264.JPG

I know I've far from cracked it but the mere fact I can even attempt this and have semi plausible ideas here and there gives me justifiable hope in the masterpiece masterminds to smash it.

• Like Like x 32
  10. geekatron prime

geekatron prime old man bot TFW2005 Supporter

Very interesting take on this. Well thought out. I like it! :thumb 
    Will be exciting when we finally get to see a proto of Dinobot, and see how close you got with your ideas.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    Above and beyond the call of duty, Chopper Face! Fantastic work!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chopper Face

Cheers dude. Those designs are really just a testament to how un-busy my Monday was. Fun little project though.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Verno

News Credits:
    With all the panel work, it's a transformation style unlike anything that's ever been seen in Transformers as far as I know. He's really going to be something new.

• Like Like x 1
  14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Fantastic ideas! The arms especially, given how Cheetor's legs turned out, are plausible.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Chopper Face

I think it's clear to see the arms were my proudest moment as the drawing standard improves a fair bit. After them I was mentally drained from imagining so many moving parts.

I thought doing this would give me enough of a Dinobot fix to hold me over till his unveiling but now I'm even more eager to see the official product! I just need to know how they've done this!

16. Verno

News Credits:
    Yeah, those dino legs/robot arms are tricky. They need an extra joint when they're dino legs, and different hands when robot arms. I think you've done well.

17. Rodimal Magnus

Rodimal Magnus A Touch of Destiny

I honestly don't care how he transforms has long has he looks has close to the animation model as possible in both mode. Although, if necessary, I'd have them focus more on the robot mode than the beast mode like with Cheetor

• Like Like x 1
  18. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Sometimes it takes 3 times to get things right. The 1st Dinobot was decent but some of the rotating joints for transformation were too tight on my BW10th figure that they would move when I rotated the shoulders.

The universe/classics 2.0 version had weird colors and hindered knee articulation and a weird looking missle sword that looks like those things you destroy a piñata with when you are 4 years old full of food coloring induced rage and reinacting a scene from Power Rangers where they murdered a Putty.

So I'm expecting this MP Dinobot to be amazing with none of the flaws of the previous 2 figures.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Verno

News Credits:
    Don't forget the rumor about a new Dinobot in the Generations line. We could be in for 2 new Dinobots in the space of a few months!

• Like Like x 3
  20. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Future Takara employee right here, folks. :thumb 

• Like Like x 3