TakaraTomy Masterpiece Dinobot

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Type-R, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Chopper Face

Chopper Face Emissary of The Vok

Can we all agree to stop saying a Tigatron and repaint in the same sentence?
    IMG_0890.JPG

• Like Like x 8
  2. Tracer1

Tracer1 Well-Known Member

I hate that idea as well. Tiger's built is so different than a Cheetah

• Like Like x 1
  3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Their animation models are also entirely different.

• Like Like x 2
  4. AnonymousDwell

AnonymousDwell Well-Known Member

I mean, it could be done, but I do NOT want them to go that route. I want a new mold.

Devil's advocate: there are a lot of similarities in their cgi models. Same spiked shins. Same basic arm design, with the kibble over their forearms. Same shoulders. Same Turbine-Like-Shoulder-Thingies ™️ (Lol :p ) Although, Tigatron's were more ovoid, whereas Cheetor's are cut in half with a straight, flat bottom. So that would have to be considerably retooled, which could impact transformation. Same codpiece/crotch plate.

The main differences are 1) size 2) alt mode shape and length and head 3) head size 4) head "pylons" on either side, 5) finger/hand length, 6) just the fact that the alt modes look substantially different, and 7) the head sculpt obviously.

But the main point against them simply being repaints of each other - or even remolds - as I'm sure we've all discussed in other topics, is because Tigatron's alt mode would have to be so much bulkier and shorter, and his bot mode would also have to be so much taller, that even upscaled it would present serious challenges to show accuracy... and I think we all want a show accurate Tigatron, not a quick and easy repaint and upscale.

So at the VERY least, and this would still result in something I think Tigatron fans would be disappointed in incidentally, they'd have to upscale him, and retool him in such a way that in alt mode he could collapse shorter than Cheetor does, add larger interlocking belly panels to make him stockier (like a tiger, and like his animation model,) remold his Turbine-Like-Shoulder-Thingies ™️, add the pylons on either side of his head, lengthen his hands, and the biggest problem of all... give him a huge tiger head that somehow still fits inside him in bot mode.

It seems like at that point it would just be easier to make an entirely new mold... imo at least.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

Ebay:
    I wouldn't say I have them on pedestal. I've long been a fan of what they do over what Hasbro does but they are by no means perfect, just look back over my critisms of some of the recent MPs or the MP Totp thread in my sig. However they've been at this a lot longer than the 3rd parties and don't rely on stealing other people's intellectual property, designs or engineering to make a profit. I have some excellent 3rd party figure and if Hasbro or Takara had the companies that made them shut down tomorrow I'd be disappointed, but I wouldn't say they didn't deserve it.

Ha! You think? It's understandable but I'm sure you realise we're very lucky to have got as much as we have and Takara don't owe us a damn thing. We're not even part of thier official market.

Ack! Didn't I just issue a warning about this! Take it to the MP Cheetor thread at least! ;) 

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017 at 9:27 AM
  6. Ejector369

Ejector369 Well-Known Member

And Tigatron is also taller than Cheetor.

7. Chopper Face

Tigatron is not just taller; he's larger in every dimension so simply giving the Cheetor mold some high heels or extended thighs won't cut it. We'd end up with an anorexic looking big cat with a bayverse Prime-styled micro torso. Sure the crotch plates are identical from a design standpoint Along with everything else you mentioned but you couldn't reuse Cheetor parts because they'd all be too small. He's also larger in alt-mode. There's no way Tigatron was shorter in length than Cheetor in either form. He's the big cat! I know you're with me on the side of getting a properly done Tigatron but my view is that any reuse from Cheetor (where parts haven't even been upscaled) is wrong.
    Warn away man. Every time I see Tigatron's name appear, something inside me stirs and I need to shout from the rooftops how much of an injustice to the character it would be if he were merely a repaint.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

Ebay:
    HA! It's fine, knock yourself out, it's just nothing that hasn't been said 100 times already.

9. Chopper Face

Yep. And mostly by me. But what's a good song without repetition?!

• Like Like x 1
  10. AnonymousDwell

I think you may potentially be misinterpreting my post.

Firstly, I said I don't want to see that happen. I was playing devil's advocate. Secondly, I didn't mean shorter in absolute length, I meant in terms of proportions. His overall size would obviously be larger. In other words, he couldn't be as long and lithe looking as Cheetor's proportions in alt mode and still look like Tigatron, even if his absolute length was longer.

I do think it could be done with a ton of retooling, albeit compromising accuracy, but, again, at that point... just make a new mold, as I said.

11. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Undersea Warrior

News Credits:
    At *best* if they don't just straight repaint/retool Cheetor you're going to see the mold given an X% increase in size before they ship it out to stores.

12. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    M'kay then. Cheetos RETOOL to make Tigatron. ;) 

+
    Nothing that retooling can't resolve. Maybe TT will use that ACTUAL tiger head for the chest this time? ;) 

[​IMG]

But this thread is about Dinobot. And if we don't start talking about Dinobot again soon, a Mod might enter and post something and then...then.... I dare not even think what else they could do to us.... It's just too scary to think about, man!

I am curious if they'll give him light up eyes like they did with Primal?

• Like Like x 1
  13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Actually, retooling can't resolve it, because Tigatron is about 30% larger than Cheetor. It would be really dumb for TT to so slavishly recreate the show models with such absurd accuracy only to completely half-ass Tigatron and break the trend.

Also, I hope they don't use the real Tiger head. It's even more flattened out than Cheetor's in robot mode. It'd stick out like a foot from his body.

I hope so. Have them painted red like Primal, and then when you light them up they glow green like his laser eyes. (An intense enough LED would cut right through the red tint)

14. Chopper Face

I get the devils advocate angle. I just think if you accept those compromises to scale and screen accuracy then the figure will be a failure so I don't even want to entertain the possibility of TT doing us and Tigatron wrong like that.
    Also, I think 'hefty' or just plain 'thick' are more accurate terms than shorter to describe Tigatron's build.

Now, ah, something about Dinobot- hmm-
    Anyone else think he has the best looking knee-guards in all of transformers?! His whole lower leg is like some giant kinky dominatrix boot. It'd be sweet to see a customiser create similar forearm guards and an armoured Gladiator chest/shoulder piece with the same exposed ribs style.

15. AnonymousDwell

Really want to drop this, but just for the sake of being totally clear ... I don't accept those compromises. The whole point of a devil's advocate discussion is that you're discussing something you don't agree with. Just spit-balling/brainstorming for the sheer shit of it. :p 

Also, I did say "bulkier." I only said "shorter" to describe his abdominal proportions. Sorry if that was unclear, but I figured since I said in such a hypothetical (and, again, not desired) devil's advocate solution he would also have to be considerably upscaled, it would be self-evident as part of that I wasn't referring to his entire body length being shorter.

But as I'm now straying into my FAVORITE thing to do on the internet -semantics - I'm just going to drop the subject and go to bed. :p  Just wanted to clarify what I meant.

Carry on. :D 

Back to Dinobot...

• Like Like x 1
  16. Chopper Face

I guess we're all victims of misinterpreting online ramblings. When I said "If you accept those compromises...' I should have probably said 'If anyone does accept those compromises...' because I know you are practically of the same opinion as me regarding Tigatron. And it wouldn't be the first time someone got muddled on TF scale so I had to make sure.

There should be a file with all the Tigatron debates from all the various threads saved onto it so they can just be uploaded en-masse when his MP is announced. That'd save everyone a lot of energy.
    Then again I actually kind of enjoy constantly going over this same topic even when it results in two guys who already agree debating over the manner in which they express that same opinion. But, as far as I'm concerned, any Beast Wars chat is a good chat because I simply can't have these in real life!

17. stormflash

stormflash Well-Known Member

Oh god the horror the horror!:D 

18. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You're assuming TT will bother with the size difference, which they might. I was going by how the toys were originally released. And by that, Tigatron was a repaint of Cheetor. I am not familiar with the uber-accurate scale of all BW characters. I figured Tigatron was just bulkier overall, but not 30% larger. IF TT does go by what you are saying, then they should make Tigatron bigger and better than the gap-ish Cheetor (no offense to MP Cheetor fans. I do like it a lot). Tigatron is my favorite kitty in the series for his animal form and colors.

A nice big fat tiger head. :p  As long as it looks good. If they do what they did with MP Cheetor again, I'm good with that as well.

I wonder if they can pull that off? Would be cool.

Playing the devil's advocate is usually a bad idea online. Too many players, and the approach mostly gets overlooked and lost in the process. But I see what you were trying to do. Sometimes I like to do this as well, but again, that approach tactic often goes horribly wrong for me. People just start with the pounding.

Oh come on now. It's great! ;) 

MP Cheetor -> Tigatron -> Ravage -> Shadow Panther -> Stripes -> Lio Convoy.... ;) 

MP Dinobot -> Grimlock -> Razor Claw -> Megaton

:lolol [/quote]

• Like Like x 1
  19. GALVATOM

GALVATOM Well-Known Member

Cliffjumper hasn't been made out of Bumble bee and they didn't even go this route with Sideswipe and Sunstreaker. I'm starting to think that if we see MP Tigatron it will be as different as Sideswipe and Sunny are from one another. You guys all bring up great points about how a simple retool wouldn't work or do him justice, I'm thinking Tigatron could even be better executed than Cheetor and may even show him up.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ch40sKnight

Ch40sKnight Well-Known Member

Hmm...I wonder what could be the possibility of a retool of Dinobot into BWII Thrustor.

• Like Like x 1