TakaraTomy July 2018 Studio Series - Jazz, Lockdown, ROTF Megatron, Brawl

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Type-R, Mar 7, 2018.

1. User_136440

User_136440 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Lockdown and Megatron keep looking better and better; I'm feeling less enamoured with Brawl and Jazz each time I see them, though. But the optimist in me recognises that any future Masterpiece figures of these characters are going to be fantastic if they can get this much accuracy from a standard retail line.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Jazz is also a third of Megatron's size.

Megatron also has a tonne of gold paint breaking up the silver.

• Like Like x 5
  3. User_136440

News Credits:
    Well, Takara didn't display any of wave 2 at Wonderfest (I'm guessing so they didn't eclipse the MB versions), and they seem to be a bit behind Hasbro, so makes sense Takara won't reveal anything else yet.

I'm not sure what the next big event is that Hasbro will be present, but I'm guessing that's when we'll get some new reveals.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Apocalyptic

Apocalyptic Just Another Strange One.

For Jazz to be a third his size, Megatron would need to be leader class instead of a voyager.. He has gold, yes, I wouldn't say a ton.. More highlights of it than anything. He looks fine, just after seeing all the custom ROTF Megatron's painted up in silver, feels as though this should've at least had some of it.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Um yeah me too, duh. We are all whores here.
    They might make us wait til hascon, although I expect some leaks from China from a shitty phone camera well before then. I really hope this line continues for a long time! I’ve been enjoying wave 1 so damn much.
    To me large areas of silver paint are the absolute easiest thing to add myself so I’m not too bothered by that. Plus I feel like Megatron was much shinier in the first movie, whereas in Rotf he had a lot more of a weathered and dark look to him with more of the gold.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jerrimus

Jerrimus BOSS

Ebay:
    I totally never noticed Megatron’s golden balls, with what seems like a penis coming from each one of them.

CANT UNSEE NOW!

This wave needs to hurry up!

7. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A third of the size, not a third of the height. Mass is in three dimensions. 3x taller, with all other proportions following suit, = 27x the size. 3x the mass, working backwards, is just under 1.5x as tall (cube root of 3 = 1.44), which sounds about right.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  8. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

You'll have to share your technique with me then, because I've always had a tough time making large areas of silver paint look good.

I use Tamiya Chrome Silver, and the paint never looks good; there are always fleck and grainy spots to it. Perhaps it's the "chrome" in the "chrome silver?"

Should I be using a more flat-ish silver color? Perhaps Titanium Aluminum?

You can't see what I'm talking about here so much, but my Nitro paint job suffers from what I mentioned. Look at the tops of his thighs, you can see the graininess a bit. (although maybe that'll look cool on Megs? Weathered look.)

Here:

[​IMG]

9. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To which you’ve only gone 3x in 2 dimensions. ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  10. Nemisispath

Nemisispath Needs a new username

Lockdown is ugly as hell, but the others look good.

11. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    That Lockdown looks better in every image we get. Hastak has nailed the detail in the design and something Peru Kill couldn't get quite right.

• Like Like x 3
  12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Nope. Height =/= size.

That's quite a bit of highlights. His torso is almost 30% gold from the various painted bits underneath the sculpted armour segments.

I feel kinda silly having spent so much for a 3P figure only to have HasTak make exactly what I wanted anyway at a fraction of the price. The face, the detail, the proportions, the alt mode.... it's all just so perfect. And he actually has a useful accessory instead of the head gun, and his hook looks way better than PK's little fishhook.

• Like Like x 5
  13. User_136440

News Credits:
    The next Hascon's not till next year, so hopefully before then! ;) 

14. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hah. 27x, you're right. I was too caught up in the working backwards that I skipped a step in the forwards.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    it totally looks different, right? i thought i was crazy but it's higher up or something.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Shmoptimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Jetliner silver spray paint with the areas you don’t want sprayed taped off with paibter’s tape. But you’re talking abut chrome. That’s a completely different ballgame and I wouldn’t want huge areas of my figures covered in chrome anyway. What you did looks fine. Just use ink wash and panel lining to make it look less flat if that’s what you’re worried about.
    Don’t feel silly for getting PK, he’s cool for what he does differently. This figure does a lot right, but it doesn’t do anything that any other hasbro movie toy hasn’t already done. It’s just leaps and bounds better than the last Lockdown figure we got back in ‘14. PK hid the kibble and made it useful, which is something that hasbro STILL struggles with. This lockdown looks great and I’m gonna buy him, but from the back he’s still gonna look like a bunch of hunks of car folded up. If a 3P company could take the general transformation and innovation of PK and added it to the proportions, posability, and accuracy of this sculpt we’d have the perfect Lockdown.

17. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Noooooo I'm not talking chrome as in chrome pens and such, its just the name of the color of the tamiya paint. "Chrome Silver"
    But, I think the added "stuff" to that paint is what makes it go on "not so smooth".

I often used it for smaller details and whatnot and it looks fine ...but for some reason, large surface areas it comes out so grainy looking.

I hand paint all my stuff now, although I'm well aware the "sprays" are the way to go because they go on so smoothly.

This Megs is has so many books and crannies and moving parts that spraying will be awfully difficult.

18. Shmoptimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Try krylon!

19. Apocalyptic

Apocalyptic Just Another Strange One.

Paint could be added, of course.. As I said the painted customs look pretty much always better to me, any picture I see of the ROTF Megatron is silver... But if not complete silver, why not the silver dry brushing they've been adding? Would've worked well with him, considering the sculpt especially.. As fairly easy as it would be dry brush oneself, not everyone can do it cleanly..

I didn't say a third of his height, I said a third his size... Yes, I know, although it would work out half the size, given that's the common size difference with deluxe and voyager figures... In bulk and height..

When doubling something in size, you don't just make it taller... That Jazz is, give or take half the size of Megatron, not a third.. In all types of mass! Geez...

I won't start getting into the percentage of gold paint used.. Doesn't look like 30%.. But yeah.. It looks well done enough. Just the grey that looks bland in comparison..

20. OriginalFire

OriginalFire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Jazz,Megatron and Lockdown look good