Takara Tomy status

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Primus00, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Primus00

Primus00 Creator

As you may have noticed in Japan, Takara has been using the Autobot/Decepticon/Optimus Prime terms thoughout the 2007 movie to Animated (also I should note Transformes United) instead of the usual japanese terms Cybertron/Destron/Convoy in which I greatly prefer.

What do you think of this turn thats being taken? Do you think the usual terminology should return?

2. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

I think in a way its good because there needs to be less alterations and changes when TakTomy refers to the movie-verse characters. Also, it makes it so all the names are pretty much the same across the board for all TF releases. Of course, having grown up in the US, its easy to accept the change that TakTomy has made since they changed all the names to the English versions. However, if Hasbro decided to renamed Optimus Prime into Convoy and went about changing all the TF's names into their Japanese counterparts, there might be a lot of disgruntled TF fans.

3. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    I think it's just a case of the suits at TakaraTomy realizing that the Western elements in Transformers are what makes the brand truly successful, even (or especially) in Japan where there's a lot of competing "super robot" brands. Transformers sticks out as this heavily Western-influenced thing, and the more it stands out among the mass, the better (see the Unicron Trilogy era for the exact opposite). Thus, they've started to adapt more and more Hasbro names to cash in on the success of the movies.

4. Primus00

Primus00 Creator

Good insights. However, it worries me greatly that Japan/Takara is losing its touch.

Question: What are the current robot series in this current time? Gundam is one of them.

As Nevermore said w/ many robot shows, Transformers stands out in a way due to many Western elements. Wasn't the Unicron/Micron trilogy a Western thing?

To make things more interesting, it should be like Sentai(japanese task force). In fact Takara should work on a series like they did around 25 years ago.(ex:Masterforce)

5. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    The shows were pure animes vaguely based on ideas by Aaron Archer that were frequently ignored by Takara's marketing department, then dubbed into English with varying success.