takara tomy paint aplications

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by newguy, Mar 7, 2008.

1. newguy

newguy i

My teacher is making me write an assighnment and i need to include a survey, so my question is, does takara tommy figurer's paint application fade if you rub them? I would love if you could answer my thread and thank you for reading.

2. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    Not in my experience, no, not usually. They don't rub off or fade easily. But most of my experience with Takara's toys are from 2000 and earlier. I do own a few exceptions, such as Superlink SL Grand Convoy, Kicker, Galaxy force Sonic Bomber, Starscream, Saidos and the Auto Microns, MP-03 and THS-02. Only a couple of those have had any paint problems. Like Gigatron. His chrome started flaking off pretty badly last year sometime. And the headlights on SL Grand Convoy rubbed off easily as well. But that's because the paint was on chrome. It wasn't that the chrome was coming off, it's just that the paint was coming off the chrome. Other than that, the paint's been pretty sturdy, though.

3. newguy

newguy i

if you people know anything about the takara toy's paint please tell me

4. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Takara's paints are usually more resistant to rubbing than Hasbro's, probably from a higher quality paint that can be afforded over there compared to Hasbro. That said, vacuum metalized paint from Takara seems to flake fairly easily particularly on smaller applications, though the same is true on US product. Of course over time, yeah, any paint rubs off, it's just a matter of how long the paint can handle friction.

5. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've seen it go both ways, though I seem to run into issues more often with Takara stuff, especially with apps applied on top of other paint. I'm not making any claim to Hasbro or Takara being superior, just relaying my own experience.

6. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you need a survey you should post a poll thread.

7. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    I've seen rubbing on both. I got my kids a lot of Hasbro and Takara A/E/C and some were durable, a few apps rubbed off. It depends on the paint, and what is under the paint. For the most part Tak/Tomy is ok, but I've seen a few that did rub, same for Hasbro, though I do think Takara uses better paint, honestly, it is really hard to judge.

And BW "Transmetal" plating is the worst, in my use, stuff flakes off if you look at it wrong... My TM2 Megs needs a new coat :( 

Only mods can do that.

8. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    When you say rubbing, do you mean just normal handling? Like if you're just transforming them from robot to alternate mode and not doing anything else?

I own quite a few Takara figures such as the G1 reissues a few years ago. I've handled them a fair amount and I've never seen any paint fade or saw any paint on my hands after handling them. I don't expose my figures to sunlight if I can help it and I think that might help. I know white plastic can yellow if left out in the sun. I'd imagine the same applies to paint but I couldn't say for sure. I would imagine the temperature of the room would also play a factor since heat would liquify the paint a bit; therefore, making it easier to rub off.

I also own an MP-01 and the paints comes off rather easily on the diecast metal parts put that's if I accidentally scratch or ding it or something. I also own Takara's Hybrid G1 Convoy and Galaxy Convoy and never saw the paint fade and I've played with both quite a bit. Also had some RobotMasters and never saw the paint fade when rubbing them. Pretty much the same thing with Galaxy Force Demolisher (Mudflap in the states).

As for Takara-Tomy's products. I own two MP-03 Starscreams, MP-04, a couple MP-05s, Kiss Players Hot Rodimus, Encore Ratchet, Encore Ironhide, and Encore Sky Lynx. I'll admit I haven't handled them excessively except for MP-05 but he hardly has any paint on him but I have not noticed any fading from rubbing. Even on Ratchet and Ironhide, I haven't noticed any fading. Let me see, by testing Ironhide right now.

**gets Ironhide**

I'm rubbing the painted portion of his head with my thumb and I don't see any paint coming off and ending up on my thumb. Right now, my room is fairly cool, maybe 65 to 70 degrees fahrenheit and it's dark here, so no sunlight. I'm not rubbing excessively like if I were using sandpaper. Now, I'm just normally transforming him a few time from robot to vehicle and back.

No, I haven't noticed anything coming off. No red, no yellow (from the stripe on the battle platform), no black (battle platform), and no white (battle platform) has come off after I rubbed each one. That's about all I have, hope that helps.

EDIT: Maybe a mod or admin could write "urgent homework help" in the title to help out this survey? Just a suggestion.