Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-44 Convoy/Optimus Prime Ver. 3

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Retroheavy, Feb 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Oh wow! I didn't realize that was included! Awesome.

Having said that.....I'm still having trouble pulling the trigger on this guy. :/
    Even with the game plan of just putting aside $50 from each paycheck, so come August, it'll won't be any major impact on my current state of finances.

Is there even a market for re-selling MP10s? Because quite honestly, I'd probably just get rid of mine if I get this....I'm not into having duplicates of figures.

2. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    You gonna be picking up this guy ambitron? I seem to remember you were fairly lukewarm on Prime as a character, and you weren't a fan of the full-on toon look of the likes of Inferno - has MP-44 won you over?

It's a damn shame that we won't get a Peter Cullen voice chip. I wonder if we could all come together and crowd-fund some kind of accessory for Prime that could contain a voice chip? I'd prefer to use the lines from the cartoon itself, but maybe having Cullen rerecord them would be easier.
    Probably all far too complicated and difficult to ever achieve, but hey one can dream?
    Fortunately this sculpt of this Prime is so spot-on that you can hear Cullen's just by looking at his face anyway :thumb 

• Like Like x 4
  3. Revan1307

Revan1307 Well-Known Member

ordered optimus from amazon birthday present to myself

• Like Like x 7
  4. marioxb

marioxb Well-Known Member

Hmm, I wonder if Cubex Huff would work better with MP-44's lower to the ground trailer?

5. Peacefrog35

Peacefrog35 Well-Known Member

A few years ago I sold all my MPs except for MP10. Some of this was due to neefijg more space, some due to allowing the silliness of the arguments I read sour my enjoyment of being a grown man with toys.
    With that being said, MP44 has brought me out of collecting retirement.
    This thing is so cool thst I could no resist. I had never preordered anything before, but at $307 shipped from Amazon JP, i just had to do it!!!

• Like Like x 6
  6. Meister61

Meister61 Starscreams Ghost

Lol. Just like those kos your mp44 will be coming out of a Chinese factory made by Chinese people. Only difference is you're getting fucked by the price of the sewer rat you ordered. The ko people will have the improved plastic sewer rat at a far better price.

7. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Why are you here? Seriously, all you do is post negativity towards anything official. Say your peace and move on already.

• Like Like x 11
  8. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A desperate cry for love and attention?

• Like Like x 7
  9. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    What a figure to come back into!

As you can see, there are still plenty of dumb arguments on the forums, but if you want a place where you can talk positively about MP-44, check out this thread:

MP-44 Optimus Prime Discussion/Appreciation Thread

:trolls: 

By quoting them and directly engaging with them, you're just encouraging them to keep posting. Don't give them the time of day.
    For a long time I thought that particular poster was a teenager or younger, surprised to see their actual age.

• Like Like x 10
  10. ambitron

ambitron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You might be thinking of someone else with regard to the lukewarm on Prime bit. I suppose I am a little lukewarm on how he was presented in the cartoon (too fatherly), but the original toy was one of my favourites, and the original Marvel cover with the toy-based Prime facing off against Soundwave always blew me away. Ultimately, I still love old Optimus. You're right that I'm not a fan of full-toon, though. Inferno and Grapple are soon to be sold for that reason, and Sunstreaker I much prefer now he has Cordon's head and shin details. I do love the cartoon proportions, though - those bootcut/flared style legs that they have got on recent figures; it's just a little extra detail I like. And on that score, MP-44 looks pretty good to me - Prime has enough details that he does not look bland even with full toon accuracy.

I'm not a massive fan of the cartoon head sculpt (so I'll probably be in for a toy version if they do one), and I do loathe the overly-literal interpretation of cartoon colours on some recent MPs - Prime's pelvis and thighs should be silver! Anyone who doesn't believe that the whites and greys in the cartoon were intended to represent shades of silver will just have to ignore the bit where Sunstreaker talks about having his face re-chromed. :)  That said, MP-10 had grey thighs, and I guess that whole area may be prone to scratching. And Megatron looked a dull grey in early pictures but had a nice silvery sheen to him which I am hoping might be the case here, too.

So, I have a few minor doubts - especially at the insane price - but this seems too much of a flagship release to miss out on, and there's a lot more to like than dislike.

My only real worry at the moment is that I preorder this and then Hasbro US announces a version with an English voice chip. If that big backpack is to accommodate a voice chip, it will be annoying having it in Japanese.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeah, I know. I usually don't engage those types, but sometimes it's hard not to because you just want to know why they're so...so... obnoxious.

Back on a much more pleasant and enjoyable topic, the more I look at the alt mode the more I think my copy will spend half it's time as a truck. I just think it.looks so good, and I'm sure it's going to be fun driving other MP's up the ramp without them bottoming out.
    Except for Hot Rod. He bottoms out on a dust mote.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Ah I guess I must've confused you with someone else, or confused your lukewarmness with a different character perhaps! Curious are you in for 36+ as well? Him and 44+ will look quite incredible together. Btw how is your custom 39+, did you finish it? Would love to see more pics!

I guess the eventually 44+ will definitely have silver/chrome thighs and pelvis, so there's that to look forward to :thumb 

Yup, it definitely does have a voice chip in the backpack. You can spot the speaker holes in it, and in the prototype shots we can see the electronics trailing out of it:

Screenshot 2018-12-13 at 14.27.04.png

• Like Like x 5
  13. ambitron

ambitron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm in two minds about MP-36+ - I'll probably skip it, as I like MP-36 as it is and have been trimming down my collection (I've been moving house, so it's been a good opportunity). I had way too many TFs and decided only to keep the ones I really loved. I'd already achieved a full season 1 cast (with 3P figures), but no longer felt I needed it. As a result, I've just kept around a dozen figures (all official except for Downbeat, who will be replaced if TT finally make a Jazz), and am trying to think hard before buying new figures.

My custom MP-39+ is indeed all done, and I really like it. I'll try to take more pictures soon - moving house has meant that things have been all over the place. He is now on my shelf, though. :) 

• Like Like x 3
  14. Robotmonkeys

Robotmonkeys Sons of Cybertron

Ebay:
    B7A78DC3-9C81-404C-8F78-B843A3E5E01C.jpeg B43F0388-83F3-4EFE-A6AE-C601BB7F2301.jpeg 6FC38D70-3AC7-46F8-AE48-49E4AD376219.jpeg 4EC866F6-A01A-4C1A-B1F7-22905B400759.jpeg 7F1F1591-E85D-4FA4-BC38-65F20D680598.jpeg

You be the judge

• Like Like x 10
  15. chchchch

chchchch Chunky Coherent

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    An MP-44+ may be the first time I'll try to figure out a way (financially and space-wise) to own two MPs of the same character. Toon is #1 to me but I've really fallen in love with the Diaclone designs and artwork. But of course, then I would need 36+ to go with him ;)  I'm sure it would end there.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Robotmonkeys

Robotmonkeys Sons of Cybertron

Ebay:
    Hey Optimus, your innards are dragging! Lol.
    I must’ve missed this picture.

• Like Like x 2
  17. chchchch

chchchch Chunky Coherent

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Also (and I'm sure this has been mentioned), the TTMall page lists it as requiring "LR 44 button battery × 3 (sold separately)".

Queue obligatory "For $450 they could have at least included the batteries!!!" rage.

• Like Like x 5
  18. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Ah cool! I must say, as impressive and awesome as big collections are, there's something really refreshing about a small collection isn't there? It can also be nice to have the money instead too ;) 
    I've pared down the MP collection and am slowly bringing it back up, but still feel like it's getting overcrowded at times.
    Interesting that Downbeat survived the cull, I was just eyeing him up last night thinking he's the only 3P guy I might dip on (and only because I love Jazz).

You could probably probably always pick up a 36+ line if 44+ really felt too lonely. Looking forward to your pics!

Heck yeah! Posability through the roof on this bastard, and with that lateral ab crunch he actually trumps Megatron ('yesterday's model, ready for the scrap heap!')

OF COURSe it would be a one-off ;) 

Hopefully I'll have a hi-res scan of it in a few hours!

• Like Like x 5
  19. mags2424

mags2424 TT and 3P MP Advocate

[​IMG]

Is it just me or is the Autobot symbol on the truck really small?

Much prefer the size of the MP-10 one

20. chchchch

chchchch Chunky Coherent

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    If you mean the one on the trailer, I noticed while trying to digibash it that MP-44's trailer stripe area is significantly thinner (or maybe the trailer is longer) than the G1 toy's and MP-10's, presumably to match the animation model. So the faction symbol and the stickers/tampos for any future repaints are going to end up relatively shorter (at least vertically) than we are used to.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.