Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-44 Convoy/Optimus Prime Ver. 3

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Retroheavy, Feb 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phollen16

Phollen16 Am I good? Bad? I'm only human.

News Credits:
    Man, wait for the KO, your wallet will thank you.

2. Phollen16

Phollen16 Am I good? Bad? I'm only human.

News Credits:
    Wait for the KO, it wilp fix what Takara messed up and be a heck of a lot less.

3. Ponyboy Curtis

Ponyboy Curtis Malevolent Taxonomic Anodized Redeemer

News Credits:
    No kidding, my dude. Franpincho and Better12's conversation brought back memories. I was also born in a 3rd world country and we arrived in the States when I was 2. At 7 years old, I did not like either one of my parents but I didn't know the reasons for their misdirected anger, nor have knowledge of the things they had endured in their youth. I fully understand why I gravitated to these worlds of imagination. It wasn't all doom and gloom. You make the most of the hand you are dealt. Some things do get better with time.
    Regarding the whole alt mode accurancy and fake parts debate, would you chime in on how rather skeletal the back end of these vehicles really are? These photos are of a 70s Freightliner model. Credit to Stephen Gardiner for the photos of his beautiful homage.
    imgp1237rawconv.jpg imgp1234rawconv.jpg
    For comparison here is Pat McCrotch Jr.
    r_mp-10-convoy-119.jpg
    His dad, Pat Senior
    timthumb.jpeg
    Anyone want to flex those digital skillz and give us back-end alt mode accurate Mp-1, 10, 44 and skinny jeans bot modes of each? Perhaps some of you can begin to see how unrealistic your stance against fake parts really is or not.

What I've seen lately is a revisionist view of the past. There is more than one thread discussing the less than warm reception that MP-10 received in 2011. Pull a Hasui and meet yourself, or a facsimile thereof, from the past. At times this thread has been a parody. Understand that I was one of those persons that passed on MP-10. It was smaller, more expensive than MP-4, muh die-cast wasn't all there, we already had a perfectly good prime, we were duped by Last Shot MP-1. I didn't visit here back then, but wow, those were most of my reasons also and I didn't get the brilliance of MP-10 either. One item that I've yet to see mentioned is the fact that although the Great Recession had ended years prior, the global sense of financial uncertainty and the negative effects lingered for years. What if Takara had included Masterpiece Huffer? Anyone care to guess how much more MP-10 would have been?

• Like Like x 14
  4. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

Have you tried Nippon Yasan? To me it was about 43000 yen shipped to Italy including customs using Transi-Logistic. Main problem is that they don't allow to cancel preorders.

5. Emperor Bruticus IV

Emperor Bruticus IV Destron

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Expanding on those pictures you shared @Ponyboy Curtis .....

People still be like "MP1 is more accurateeeee in vehicle mode! MP44 doesn't have pistons or active suspensssion! Fail Koyabashi"

timthumb.jpeg r_mp-10-convoy-119.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-12-13 at 11.30.37.png

This guy honestly trumps ever Optimus Prime ever made. The budget had to be higher to get an Optimus Prime that's state of the art like this.. MP36 & MP44 are literally the best Transformers ever made of all time as they should be!

I feel this figure has reached the optimum point of $ per design. I don't think it could get any better without reaching a threshold that's uncomfortable for literally everyone except the 1%.
    The only thing that appears missing is the launching feature inside the trailer, I'd say its safe to bet the Diaclone version may have this.

I really want a Huffer to display the trailer with.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 17
  6. Onilink

Onilink That's my secret, captain, my head always hurts

News Credits:
    Saw Yesterday, now is 376 euro shipped to Italy on amazon jp. My bet is 350 euro shipped at the end.

7. ambitron

ambitron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Folks, a quick question - and apologies because this will have been covered, but the thread has moved so fast, and work made my time here so intermittent, that I cannot find the answer. I saw that Hasbro is releasing MP-44 too; I also read that MP-44 has an in-built speaker that plays clips of Prime speaking but that it will be from the Japanese cartoon (or is that only speculation?). If the latter is true, is there any indication that the Hasbro release might Peter Cullen's gruff paternal tones instead? I'm trying to work out whether to preorder the Japanese version or wait for the Hasbro one. Thanks, and sorry for what is probably a dumb question to those who have been following this release more closely!

• Like Like x 2
  8. snoopcow

snoopcow Mold hoarder

Ironicly in china, admitting you are a ko only "high end figure and statue" collector gets you mocked and cyberbullied to the point of suicide.

• Like Like x 4
  9. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The "Hasbro" release solicited at the moment probably comes from Hasbro Asia. They just distribute TakaraTomy product to the rest of the Asia region outside of Japan, in these instance. It won't be any significantly different than the Japanese release, barring any wonkiness of the production runs.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Legate

Legate RIP Kevin Conroy and Akira Toriyama

Let's see...
    Spend $375(I ordered through HLJ; I have no regrets) per unit on a genuine article I'll be proud to own, or spend $150 on a piece of trash crapped out by lazy thieves?

Gonna have to take some time on this weighty dilemma...

As a general personal rule, I stay away from the KO "debate" as I've had my say on the subject and don't feel the need to repeat myself. However, since I was asked about it directly I gave an answer.

• Like Like x 7
  11. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:

WHAAAATTT?
    can you elaborate please?
    Do you mean that IN CHINA collecting KOs of "adult collectibles" is derided?

12. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    No...im buying the original..

• Like Like x 9
  13. vvvTheONEvvv

vvvTheONEvvv \/ He Thinks He's Smart.

News Credits:
    Aside from air and electrical lines being present (the black cord might be the electrical, though), it's pretty spot on for a model.

In regards to the frame, leaf springs, 5th wheel, mudguards/fenders, tires and rims - it's all there. Minor things missing might be the 5th wheel slide (if it had it), the handle, catwalk over the frame, etc... but who's gunna look for brake drums inside mp44's rims to care for those tiny details. :rolleyes: 

The truck looks legit.

• Like Like x 7
  14. ambitron

ambitron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great, thanks for the info!

15. banjoted

banjoted Timelord

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Very true. I think a lot of the pro-KO crowd speak from a place where they simply can't afford the originals, and therefore promoting the benefits of KOs reinforces the decision they're forced into making.

Because, let's face it, this idea that KOs are guaranteed to be better is nonsense. Of course, some KOs are an improvement (my KO MP Starscream and Thundercrackers are testament to that, and apparently those Megatrons are nice) and some KOs fill a hole in a collection that officials cannot (such as the oversized Grimlock or magnificent MPP10, or even Wei Jiang's enjoyable oversized Combiner Wars Aerialbots). But plenty of KOs are dogshit. KO MP-10s continue to be a complete lottery veering between 'just about acceptable' and 'dumpster fire'. The KO Autobot cars are OK but definitely not a match for the originals. Let's not even begin on simplified KOs, either.

In general my position is that I would like ideally to support the original manufacturer. After all, that impacts the overall health of the hobby. If a KO comes out that is demonstrably better than the original I might go for it. But to assume a default position of waiting for a KO on the presumption that it will be an inevitable improvement or, even worse, as some sort of 'punishment' for prices or corporate strategy or god knows what else is, in my opinion, naive at best and a tad immature at worst.

• Like Like x 10
  16. snoopcow

snoopcow Mold hoarder

Even authentic ones gets you giggled at lol.

• Like Like x 4
  17. vvvTheONEvvv

vvvTheONEvvv \/ He Thinks He's Smart.

News Credits:
    I liked your post... agreed with most of it.

Being a chap that buys shit on a whim, to feed the childhood completionist of toys long lost and forgotten; I can attest that there is no greater joy than getting what you truly want, regardless the cost.

That being said (and at my humblest moment on this thread), I have many a KO that surpasses the official in ways that make them seem... a 1.5 run with improvements?

And (please correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall a KO available before the official, which baffled me) the likes of the KO golden lagoon mp10 and tracks were far better figures in comparison to the official. (KO gold mp10 looks hella better than the recently released golden lagoon convoy - you know it, admit it)

While I want to support the TT bandwagon we have here (and will, for under 330 shipped), any KO of this mold unsimplified and half the cost will also be purchased by me.

I swear these cad designs are back handedly slipped to a KO company to just keep the dream alive for others that love it, but can't afford the official... much like screens of actual paintings.

I love official, but am also an avid KOllector... and even though oversized, mpp10 hooked me like plastic crack to KOllect all variants, where I only own 4 mp10s... TRU, MP10B, yoth and golden lagoon.

Loving and following TT for what they give us, but salivating over when the ko companies deliver the same.

130 dollar steak dinner vs. a decent buffet... both satisfy in the end for reasons unto themselves. :rolleyes: 

• Like Like x 2
  18. smkheidze

smkheidze sideswipe and sideswipe and even more sideswipe.

I think assuming that people buy KO's because they can't afford the official is painting everybody with a very broad brush. I would say it is a mix. Some folks can afford the official product, but simply refuse to pay full price when they can get a similar (yet inferior to a point) item for a fraction of the cost.Some folks cannot afford the officials and KO's are their only way to access the MP line. Then there are those who buy both. I was in the 3rd category myself. I had a mixture in my collection until I simply decided that I just did not enjoy the feeling of owning KO's. I had more pride in my official figures so I sold off what KOs I owned and got the real thing.

I don't hate on those that buy KOs, it's their choice and life is hard enough without busting other peoples ballz over their personal choices. People here get sooooooo bent out of shape about trivial shit (KO/3P ETC...) when they should just realize that what is good for them may not work for others.

That said, seeing all this "I'll wait for the improved KO" bullshit is just that...bullshit. 90% of the KO's out there are even more fraught with problems when compared with the official product. I can only think of a few that were actually improved. And even then, they seem to always screw something else up in the toy.

• Like Like x 5
  19. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Is the trailer part of this release? Or is MP10s trailer expected to be used with this?

20. AnonymousDwell

AnonymousDwell Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's a completely new trailer. See the photos.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.