Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-44 Convoy/Optimus Prime Ver. 3

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Retroheavy, Feb 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prime of Shadows

Prime of Shadows Quick as Lightning

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Ok call me crazy, but to me the truck side panels still seem to go forward to back in robot mode, rather than folding flat. Maybe they push inwards or flip up and over? Also, I think the panels may or may not take the doors with them...it’s hard to tell.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    So what's wrong with wanting Optimus Prime as he looked in '84 in the form of a super-articulated cartoon accurate Masterpiece? That's a rhetorical question btw :) 

Most of the characters you've listed won't get made in the MP line because the MP line focuses on recreating popular characters from the cartoons/movies. Dreadwind, Darkwing, Misfire, Triggerhappy, Slugslinger, Whirl and Roabuster are never gonna happen.

Hmm I guess Maz has banned hotlinking to his images, so I've changed the IMG tags to URL tags instead. Definitely worth a read in any case!

Hah yeah I couldn't be bothered looking through the thread to find that same photo without the red circle.

You could be right, or the thing you've circled could be the mud flap maybe? Or the mud flap could be part of the grey robot sides :lol 

Hmm I'm not sure if we've really decided whether they go forward or backward - I mean the entire truck cab has to move backwards anyway on the hinge in his backpack, so that it can be centred above the pelvis again (which is sitting in the truck bed). They definitely will fold onto each other, but they might fold in kind of like an accordion door, with the thick part in the middle being connected to the 'spinal cord' somehow.

Nah, this angle shows it best that the doors are only attached to the area around them, not to the pieces containing the front windows:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  3. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Cool story, bro.

• Like Like x 7
  4. Prime of Shadows

Prime of Shadows Quick as Lightning

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yeah that’s why I wasn’t sure. But my thinking is that the front panels will fold back so they’ll be centered on the torso when the entire upper torso accordions back onto the pelvis. I also think the majority of the front of the truck will condense and flip over to redistribute mass around the torso for robot mode...which will simultaneously disguise all the “realistic truck” components.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Yeah I think you're right it all folding like a sandwich in the centre of the torso. But don't forget the arms do need to be able to fold into place, and if those side panels fold backwards then it kinds stops the arms from getting into the right position.

We can see almost all of the front and roof of the truck condensed into the backpack, I think. The roof is definitely what forms the weird kibble shapes that were visible behind the grey-sides from the very first reveal:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The chunky bits on the sides of the backpack, which contain the headlights as I pointed out, I think contain all of the rest of the area around the headlights, either sides of the truck grill, all folded up somehow.

It's actually one of the most impressive feats, how much is actually stored in that backpack. Sure it's substantial, but it's still pretty source accurate in shape.

This panel ('shoulder blade?'), at first I thought might be part of the truck, but I think it's actually just a panel to give shape to his back

Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 18.50.55.png

I still wonder what 'joint' is visible next to the matrix panel. This 'H' shaped one:

Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 18.56.32.png

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    You know...

It just wouldn't be a MP (insert any character) thread without bitching about (insert said character). It's just how it goes.

• Like Like x 5
  7. e prime

e prime Chosen by the matrix

Curious about the (H) joint as well. I'm convinced that this guy opens up and turns inside out. Hopefully we will get some answers soon.

• Like Like x 2
  8. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    No OFFICIAL color Photos yet.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

• Like Like x 4
  9. My BaLl JoInTs ArE lOoSe

My BaLl JoInTs ArE lOoSe Well-Known Member

Actually, the prototype pics shown are in the correct colors for the regular release version of Optimus V3. Hasbro just really likes Optimus being dead so the regular release will depict him as a corpse from the 1986 movie, and future releases will just depict his smashed up zombified body from "Dark Awakening."

Optimus, in his blue and red color 'Murican color scheme, will just be a limited Toys R Us (Canada obviously!) edition only since Optimus is such an unpopular character who deserves to die.

• Like Like x 4
  10. My BaLl JoInTs ArE lOoSe

My BaLl JoInTs ArE lOoSe Well-Known Member

Desperate times call for desperate measures. :tumbleweed: 

Maybe someone should sacrifice a baby lamb in order to conjure up the spirit of "random Chinese leaker dude" so that he would leak images of the colorized figure. Make that two lambs so that he wouldn't be tempted to blur out 90% of the image with MS Paint purple.

• Like Like x 1
  11. deadgiveaway

deadgiveaway Well-Known Member

Tangentially related, how did the animators even come up with that backpack anyway? It bears absolutely no resemblance to anything on the original toy. I realize that’s par for the course with the 80s cartoon, but still...

• Like Like x 2
  12. chchchch

chchchch Chunky Coherent

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    • Like Like x 8
  13. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 4
  14. chchchch

chchchch Chunky Coherent

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    I guess Floro Dery had to do a little more "invention" for Prime's backpack than other characters, since Prime's toy basically had a hollow, open back?

• Like Like x 5
  15. deadgiveaway

deadgiveaway Well-Known Member

I think that probably is the answer really.
    When I was 5 and got Prime, I didn’t know anything about Diaclone. I thought that space was to store his fists in truck mode.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Can definitely see the similarity between these two shapes:

Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 17.43.38.png Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 17.43.34.png

And actually the thin line on his butt actually looks like a misinterpretation of one of his legs :lol 

Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 17.44.48.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 17.44.43.png

With that 'butt' already sticking out, the rest of the backpack seems like a logical enough evolution.

• Like Like x 8
  17. Goldimus Prime

Goldimus Prime Veteran

Nicely done, @chchchch.

I know plenty of us fans are gung-ho about a toon accurate cab/trailer. While it looks good, juxtaposed against the toy-style coloring it just looks really plain to my eyes. Particularly the washed out trailer stripe.

I guess that if it does turn out this way, I'll be pleased we're getting another option--as a toy (+) repaint would thereby be all but inevitable.

Also, it'd be another good reason to keep ol' MP-10 around!

Haha! Yes! I thought/did the same with G2 (Diaclone) Optimus Prime. Having been born in 1984, I'd no memory of OG Optimus Prime. But I'd given a Targetmaster, Landfill I believe--although I'd remembered him as a garbage truck--to another kid for his birthday. I was fixated on his Targetmaster buddies at that party. When I played with G2 Prime I further misinterpreted Primes fists as being intended as tiny pilots for those seats, imagining the peg handles to be the heads.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  18. chchchch

chchchch Chunky Coherent

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Yeah, kinda torn myself now...if I have to pick just one, it will be the tooniest version...but maybe my wallet will somehow allow me to choose more than one...

Of course, who knows what they'll do, as this situation is a little unique since it's toon accurate to sometimes have the stripes and sometimes not.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Zambot

Zambot Pixarian Artobot

News Credits:
    Man this thing just fell off a cliff. Come on Takara lets see it!

• Like Like x 2
  20. e prime

e prime Chosen by the matrix

Yeah the wait can be a bit unbearable at times. It seems takara is saying tee hee, and we are saying let's see. I'm sure it is not like they don't have anything to show. Its coming soon if I had to guess.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.