Takara TF Animated Jetpack Bumblebee

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Veloxiraptor, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Veloxiraptor

Veloxiraptor Moé than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    I'm telling you right now this thread will have no pictures, but I don't think you want to see this thing anyway.

It'd be hard to imagine that anyone would ever be "on the fence" about this toy. From what I've noticed, people pretty much either hate it from the moment they see it, or they decide, "well, I'm a completionist/scale enthusiast/goddamn masochist, so I gotta have it." I fell into that last category.

I can totally understand why Hasbro nixed Jetpack Bumblebee from their release schedule. It really does compress a lot of fail into a small package.

The jetpack encompasses most of the mass of the toy so we'll address that first. The canopy of the jetpack is attached to struts that let you position it for different modes. There are tiny pegs on either side of the canopy that are supposed to lock it in place, but you'll be lucky if you can get both pegs to hold at the same time. The jetpack has two "jet trails" that can rotate and, well, that's it. The trails are attached to thin black struts that look like they should move but don't. By far the biggest insult of this jetpack, though, is the guns. It comes with these two badass-looking Vash the Stampede handguns at the front of it. These are weapons that beg to be dual-wielded by any Transformers toy. And guess what: THEY'RE NOT REMOVABLE FROM THE JETPACK. You can't even unscrew them...They are stuck on by a thick pin that runs from one to the other. What the hell possessed them to do this???

Bumblebee himself is pretty much a Scout-level toy. His articulation is just okay and for some reason they really shied away from using balljoints. Both his shoulders and hips are a combination of swivel and hinge, and his shoulders are stuck really close to the body. He has double-jointed elbows, with a balljoint for swiveling and a hinge for bending, but the car bits hamper the movement considerably. He has ankle rockers for transformation, but his feet can't move forward or back! He does, however, have a waist joint, so thank heavens for small favors! He includes the rocket boosters used in the show; they have the same "jet trails" as the jetpack and can be attached to his forearms to approximate his stinger weapons. However, the slots for the weapons are not very deep and the boosters will fall off with embarrassing ease.

Car mode is quite a mess. His robot chest actually forms the back half of the car roof, with the front of the roof completed by kibble, but the two halves really don't go together cleanly. There are a lot of awkward, ugly seams.

It's a shame this was the last new Animated mold to go out. It really feels like they're ending on a low note.

2. indifferent

indifferent Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more about the jetpack. The guns being pinned into place is a huge disappointment. Although, one nice thing I'll say about it is that Bumblebee pegs in quite solidly into place in both modes. I rather like Bumblebee itself, though. It's a nice little figure and looks more accurate to the previous deluxe mold (to me at least.) The rocket boosters can also peg into his back in robot mode, but you can't remove the "jet trails." Also, it has a pretty simplistic transformation. I'll post some pics, if you don't mind.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I think I'm actually ok with all those things..although it kind of sucks that you can't take the guns of, since they are modeled so nicely. I'll even take the slightly too 'kiddy' head sculpt.

But the gold really ruins this figure for me. I have the deluxe Takara Bee for the fun of it, but this is a huge mess. Definitely not feeling like shelling out alot of money for this figure, so I'm going to cancel my pre-order and hope one day Hasbro will release it..then I'll surely bite. :( 

4. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Mine click into place just fine.

They look that way because they are connected to the same pin/hinge that the bottom panel rotates on. And if they did have the ability to move, what would they be good for?

No kidding. That's exactly what I thought, "Woah, cool guns! They have handles so maybe I can take...pins? FFUUUUU!!!" I'm actually considering cutting them off. For one, guns like this look completely silly and out of place mounted on the front of an aquatic-looking jetpack thing. Not sure which bots they would be compatable with, but I'm sure I could find at least one or two.

I understand your points completely although I don't think I'm quite so disappointed. His weird articulation makes him seem like an Animated toy made by people completely unrelated to the main line. I wouldn't say it's bad, but it's just so weird and different that it seems 'off'. My biggest gripe is that the hips are kind of restricted. I thought they didn't move forward at all at first.

I can understand completely how you or anyone else would absolutely hate the car mode, but I find myself really digging it. Not because it's a perfect representation of Bee (it's not) but because I just really like the style. It looks very chibi or superdeformed to me and actually makes me think of G1 Bumblebee. The seam lines are unfortunate (some edges are oddly rounded which makes the seams even more noticable) but to my eyes the gold paint helps mask them.

Overall I don't regret buying this set. It's not quite as awesome as I was hoping it would be, but it's actually pretty close to on par with what I expected. Bee is a little bit of a let down in the articulation department, but in terms of quality and holding together in both modes and paint he's aces. I love the gold paint and will proudly display the little guy with the rest of my Animated figures. As for the jetpack...I think it looks cool and it works exactly as advertised, but I know in my heart that it will end up in a parts box.

::EDIT::
    I just discovered that the jet trail things on the backpack actually pop off quite easily. Not caring if I broke it, I just grabbed one and pulled and it came out with little resistance. Unfortunately you can't do the same with the jet trails on the rocket pods.

5. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

I like the mold. It is the Gold color that is throwing me off. For me, it is a Big swing and a miss.

6. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    I think bee looks reasonably good. I have no interest in the jetpack thingy, but if I could get him without the shiny paint I'd definitely grab him.

7. Veloxiraptor

Veloxiraptor Moé than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    I was thinking that when he has the pack on his back in robot mode, he could point the trails forward like flamethrowers (or extra "stingers") underneath his arms.

8. Rewind

News Credits:
    That would be cool. It would have been nice if they did that and made the handguns removable.

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I like him. His articulation is odd, but he's cool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My camera's focus sucks.

i don't mind that the guns don't come off, because Animated Autobots arent supposed to use guns.

I've had no problems with the jetpack. Everything transforms solidly for me.

10. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Think yer right - he is a little more accurate in this mold:

Compare:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

But, I'll just stick with the old mold - had a stocker grab one for me from the back around midnight a year or so ago...

Attached Files:

11. feral prime

feral prime Well-Known Member

going by the pics of the face, it looks like that BB actually has 2 different faces like his normal mode and a battle mode. please tell me that this is a feature on it and not the light reflecting off his face

12. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    He only has one face. It's just incredibly shiny and hard to photograph.

13. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I can't figure out why this was a voyager. They should have given him a tiny Sauri figure or something and packaged him as a deluxe. I'm fine with the toy itself...I'm iffy about paying $40 for a scout/deluxe hybrid.

14. wgoodman

wgoodman Big Bot

I'm very happy with mine. I like that the gold paint is not high gloss, like some of the other Japanese TFAs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Rewind

News Credits:
    After spending a few more days with Goldbug (Ignoring the jetpack, which the more I spend time with the less I really care about) I've decided he's easily my favorite Animated Bumblebee figure. I've grown quite fond of the simple and quick transformation, the most pleasing part being opening the chest to reveal the head.

My ranking:
    Goldbug > Activators = Legends > Deluxe

Hasbro really needs to find a way to get this released in the US, with or without the gold paint (preferably without so I have a good reason to buy a second one!).

16. clonemanager

clonemanager Hunter

News Credits:
    Is that right ? you can't even raise his arms ? I guess I am going to feel very disappointed with its articulation... which I am feeling I wouldn't buy it at the import price for now... only considering "maybe" with a bargain... well, I can imagine if this gets warming shelf oversea; price is gonna drop easily...

Also... it looks like the lower body without the use of ball joints mainly to support the weight on top from the jetpack... i just don't understand and cannot justify shelling out that much $$ for this bee with the jetpack even though I imagined I didn't ask for the jetpack from the beginning and just wanting a bee in scale with others autobots...

17. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Forward, yes. Just not out to the sides much. (Note that this is based on my recollection of the video review I watched a couple days ago. I don't have mine yet.)

18. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    the arms can raise, they just stick close to the body. They connect to the body on a hinge, so they can swing outward a bit, but not pull out.

I'll post some pictures of his arm articulation. Okay. Crappy DSi photos away!

Standing normal. I always hinge the arms out a bit.
    [​IMG]

This is as far as the arms can raise to the sides before his shoulders ram into his body and stop them.
    [​IMG]

Once you start raising his arms, you can't really use the shoulder hinge anymore. They're stuck against the body. This is the only position where the hinge can still be used. it just results in his arm turning.
    [​IMG]

Like so.
    [​IMG]

Raised all the way, his arm can hinge still, but it's just going to hit him in the head. so it's functionally disabled. it can't swing away from the head.
    [​IMG]

But how far back can his arms swing the other way?

Not far.
    [​IMG]

19. Rewind

News Credits:
    Bee is flexible enough for me. :D 

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

His joints are strange and take a little getting used to, but he's far from a static-pose figure. Honestly he looks better posed than the deluxe version does.

20. lord ginrai

lord ginrai Beastie lover

News Credits:
    Nice pics, eriku!