Takara reissue question

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Lbsammills51, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hello,

I was wondering if there is any news regarding any potential future Takara reissue releases of figures that haven't been brought back yet, namely Shockwave and the (non-knockoff) Dinobots??? I ask because 1. I just bought twelve different G1 reissues (Megatron, Starscream, Thundercracker, Skywarp, Dirge, Jazz, Prowl, Ultra Magnus, Inferno, Grapple, and Red Alert plus the 25th anniversary Optimus Prime) and I'd love to have Shockwave and the Dinobots join them, leading to 2. I've started perusing eBay and any other sites to see what I'm in store for when it comes to price for the originals, BUT if there are any plans to rerelease those five figures after all I'd just rather wait and buy brand-new reissues in brand new boxes. I'm optimistic, but I don't want to be naive either so if anyone bursts my bubble and tells me to chase down the originals while I still can, I'm already bracing myself for that hit to my wallet.

2. Malikon

Malikon Well-Known Member

I've been looking for a Shockwave myself and was told I've got to get an original. There are no re-issues, I think the mold was lost/stolen or something.

But yeah, originals.

Congrats on getting all those re-issues, that's a nice score.

3. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Word is that the molds to make the toys for the Dinobots are long since destroyed or lost, and Shockwave was not a mold that was owned by Hasbro/Takara. Shockwave was a licensed figure, though they may have the ability to do it now with all the corporate mergers and such.

4. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There's been a question mark over The Dinobots since the reissues started back in 2000/2001. Some say the unlicensed reproductions are made from the original molds which were lost when Hasbro withdrew from particular factories.

IIRC Tomy obtained the rights to the molds for Omega Supreme and Sky Lynx after ToyBox went south. The merger with Takara then made the Encore versions possible.

Shockwave however was licensed from Toy*Co*. I read a second hand story that ToyCo are still in business and had a display at a recent toy show that made specific mention of Shockwave. (Yeah, i know: "He tell me!")

*If* the story is true, it may indicate that ToyCo are willing to license the mold out to Takara once more.
    Nothing concrete there, just speculation.

5. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wouldn't hold your breath for any of these. Stump up the cash for originals - you can get decent loose/complete examples of the Dinobots for a pretty reasonable price if you look hard enough.

6. Lbsammills51

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cool, thanks for the info. As I said, this doesn't surprise me much, and I already have my eye on one Shockwave and I'll tackle the Dinobots soon hopefully, but again thank you all.

As an aside, the first two of the reissues I ordered came in the mail today, and fittingly, it's 25th Anniversary Prime and Takara Collection Megatron that came in first. I never had Megatron as a kid, so I'm giddy.

7. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

First of all, as a fellow transformers fan, I have to say welcome back... we now return to the Transformers. :)  Good to see that you are getting back into them after all these years and really enjoying them. (Gotta love that feeling you get when you can revisit some childhood favorites.) :thumb 

I'm like you still waiting for Shockwave. I think it can happen because we were told by the rumorville earlier this decade when the first batch of reissues were comming out that Omega Supreme could never be reissued. But now thankfully he is! :D  So there is still some hope that some of these guys like Shockwave can be reissued. And Metroplex is currently being reissued too so that's awesome.

[Shamless Plug] BTW, if you're still looking for some more reissues, check my thread in my sig. I'm trying to sell my Reissue Sideswipe and I'll take some off the asking price for you if you're interested. [/Shamless Plug] :) 

But I do know that giddy feeling you get when Transformers come back to you for the first time. I love that feeling, and it's great to see other people enjoying Transformers the same way.

8. Lbsammills51

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thank you. It is good to be back. I'm hoping with the 25th anniversary kicking into gear, even if Shockwave and the Dinobots don't make a reappearance at least some other notable figures will be made (like a Ratchet and Ironhide G1 vehicles with heads; I would by the Ratchet and Ironhide reissues if they didn't look like robot blastshields). Also, I did check out your Sideswipe and it interests me. I left a comment on your For Sale thread so feel free to get in touch with me.

9. Malikon

check out BigBadToyStore, they sell Encore Ratchet and Ironhides that come with heads.

They look pretty damn cool too actually.

10. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

Yes, which would you rather have?

With...

[​IMG]

-OR-

Without...

[​IMG]

The custom head kits make a HUGE difference with these two. They were some of my least favorites of the G1 series, but the way they look with the custom heads? They look very appealing!

11. Malikon

yeah those are my feelings too. The heads make a gigantic difference on those molds.

I've still got to pick these up sometime.