Takara Primes: Oversea Stores vs. US based Store

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by exomega255, Apr 3, 2012.

1. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In this case exomega is absolutely correct. When Takara lowered the prices of the AM figures versus the FE everybody in Asia (HLJ, robotkingdom, etc) all lowered their prices to match. For whatever reason the US based stores (BBTS, TFSource, Toyarena) did not. Part of it is that the US/Yen conversion has gained strength (0.82 versus 0.76) but that should only have a $2-4 effect. So definitely in the instance of AM's it's better to order overseas.

FYI, it's not always cheaper to order overseas.
    1) Fansproject controls their prices so oftentimes it's cheaper to order from BBTS.
    2) The mark up on other 3rd party items almost always is cheaper through Robotkingom then BBTS but you have to remember that those same figures are the ones that require customer service the most.
    3) If you are ordering only 1 or 2 items and want it quickly then ordering from the US is usually a better option.
    4) If you are a MISB nut then be aware that the US-based retailers tend to pack a little better.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  2. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Known Member?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I went ahead and switched my preorders of AM-02, AM-03 and AM-05 from BBTS to eToysJapan. When they came in stock the other day I received a separate invoice to pay for shipping...in the end for me it was about $80 for those three, compared to about $114 or so if I'd stayed with BBTS.

As long as these three arrive in good shape (I've never heard of any problems with eToys & the condition stuff arrives in), I'll probably switch my preorders of some of the remaining Arms Micron stuff in the next month or two as long as they stay in stock.

I have ordered from HLJ (Takara FE Bulkhead) but I've heard some things about preorders getting canceled so I'm a bit wary to start making mass preorders with them. I've ordered from AmiAmi once (two Ultra-Act figures) and that also went well.

I'll still use BBTS (not paying until stuff arrives and the PoL feature are big pluses for me) but when I have the money handy I may switch preorders for Japanese releases to Asian-based retailers more often (I already use Robot Kingdom a lot, they came in handy with TFC Hercules).

3. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    ^FYI three are are other alternative and equally good sites like Robotkingdom and etoysjapan. most of the US based TFW2005 members use them to good effect. no harm trying out new things eh? ;) 

^you're awesome, dude! :rock : I have personally used all three Asian-based retailers mentioned for obvious reasons, chiefly because I am staying in this part of the world. The communication and professionalism (not being biased) from RK and etoysjapan particularly is exemplary.

4. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    Another plus with BBTS is they have "collector grade", just add $2 and they would choose mint packaging for you, important to MISB collectors.

5. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    noticed this with most US-based retailers .. TFsource included.

6. HatRabies

HatRabies Banned

For what its worth, Amiami packages things better than any US retailer I've ever done business with. I can also say nothing but nice things about Amiami and HLJ's customer service. I've ordered countless items from both of those sites and have yet to encounter a single issue. Amiami also has ridiculously fast shipping if you're going the EMS route. Which is really only worth it if you're ordering multiple items. Registered SAL only takes about a week to get stuff to my doorstep. So thats always an option too. EMS is usually to me in two days. Its crazy.

I know a lot of folks here love BBTS, but I'm on the opposite side of the fence with them. Luckily most toys I buy are imports, so I rarely have to deal with US retailers.

7. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think what happened with HLJ is that they sold out of the initial preorders and then way, way afterwards put up another pre-order of FE items which ultimately got canceled due to the FE's being discontinued.

Their pre-order system's odd though in that you snooze you lose but I the difference in timing between the first preorder and the second preorder was long enough that if you were part of the first preorder you should have been good.

Anybody else have any better, direct information?

8. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I gotta try this etoyjapan place next time. I have been using HLJ for a few years, and amiami since 2 years ago. But maybe eToyjapan is a place to consider as well when I buy from overseas (japan products at least).

Just for the record I don't exclusively use any stores. I have a GIANT PoL setup, but I go where the price is right versus convienence. So the "weight" each store carries, varies, by item.

I didn't order FE from any of the places. It was just something that, collectively all online retailers had to deal with. BBTS also had things cancelled too.