Takara Premium Prime Chrome Chipping Possibility?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by DilaZirK, Apr 27, 2008.

1. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    Despite all the effort I spent on touching up my Movie Prime, Premium Prime's new head sculpt and sword is just a tad bit too hard for me to say no to.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    TakaraTomy's yet to be released MA-21 Optimus Prime Battle Mode is evidently superior to Hasbro's counterpart in terms of paint application, so my choice should be obvious.

However, many have expressed concerns of the possibility of chrome chipping, more so due to the fact that Prime's shiny grills form his feet.

What do you all think are the odds of that happening? (More so for one who plays with his toys heavily) Would it be a safer bet if I just stick with Hasbro's version?

2. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

Get Hasbro's version to play with & Takara's to display.

There's no way you can know what will happen with chrome. Some of my toys that have chrome have stood up to a heavy beating & the chrome is still perfect. Others like Beast Wars transmetal Rattrap & Beast Machines ultra Jetstorm have flaking chrome from just sitting there untouched. So you'll just have to take a chance & hope for the best.

3. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Holy crap, I never saw the Takara one, I was going to get the Hasbro one but that is so much sweeter.

As for your question, how heavily do you plan on playing with him? If you are just transforming him back and forth, he should be fine. If you are slamming his grill against against walls in truck mode and dragging his feet against the ground I would be worried.

4. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    Lots of posing and re-posing, for the purpose of photocomics.

But if Noisemaze's experience is anything to go by, I might want to play it safe and get the cheaper looking (as well as cheaper priced) Hasbro version.

5. MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness Autobot Engineer

Really, I weighed it this way: is the MA-21 that much better than Premium Prime to warrant a 100% price difference? It's the same figure with chromed feet, wheels, and an orange sword. Give me an hour and some paint and they'll look the same.

There is such a thing as a law of diminishing returns.

6. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

Most people have had the same problem with Rattrap & Jetstorm. From what I understand, they screwed up at the factory, didn't mix it properly or something like that. That's why the chrome always flakes off those 2. If Takara doesn't screw up there should be no problem with Prime.

You can't make chrome with regular paint. You'll get silver but not *shiny* chrome. You can match Hasbro's version with a can of silver paint but not Takara's.

For me, I LOVE the shiny chrome so I'm getting Takara's (but I HATE the price), that's exactly how I wanted leader Prime to look since the beginning.

7. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    I have the Hasbro ver. But I will still be getting the Takara ver for the novelty itself. Not a big fan of the chrome, my other toys that comes chrome off the box seems to be flaking no matter how careful I am. The Tak ver will be MISB for me.

8. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    Well, we Malaysians are kinda spoiled in that we got hobby stores here that sell Takara stuff to us at a 20% price difference only. :p 

Hmm...I wonder if a Gundam Chrome Marker would do the trick...

But I already used so much of that on my current Movie Prime. And I don't want to go through all that painting again... >_<

Despite your already awesome paint touch-ups on Hasbro's Premium Prime? :) 

Hummm...I suppose the whole chrome chipping thing is anyone's guess. I'd better grab myself a Hasbro Premium Prime while I still have the chance.

Unless there is way to preserve the chrome via a protective layer of clear paint of a sorts?

9. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    How much is the Takara version?

10. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    AmiAmi quotes him at a retail price of 6815 Yen. That's around 66 USD.

11. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Why doesn't someone make a bench scale chemical vapour deposition system to coat these small parts on a custom scale? Sure there'll be some chromium poisoning, but shiny is good.