Takara MP-13 Soundwave

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Acesan, Jan 26, 2013.

1. naldopr

naldopr Well-Known Member

in my opinion if I pay almost 200 for a figures I expect to be 100% perfect no defect no cheap paint etc, people that think we are to picky then your money and hard work means and worth nothing. my 2 cents.

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

It's rarely ever perfect, though. There are concessions that have to made (even if we're paying a premium). It's unfortunate, but this is a part of collecting.

3. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    this, nothing's perfect. you can always find something to nitpick about if you try

4. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I really wish we could all get pristine figures, but that's not realistic at all. I think factory defects are inevitable. They can be limited with better quality control, but there will always be a few that will get through regardless.

What bothers me more is someone being unable to replace a highly sought-after item with a defect. For example, you have people with defective Hasbro MP-10's that are unable to get a proper replacement (even from Hasbro themselves). And what good is a refund if (a) the item can no longer be found, or (b) they have to pay an inflated price? Getting your money beck is better than nothing, but still.

5. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think you also have to take into consideration that you aren't paying Takara $200 for the figure. You are paying a couple middle men in there as well to get that to you. Takara themselves are in no way asking $200 for it.

6. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Phenimonal toy. Right up at the top of the list of my favorite Masterpiece releases...MAYBE even edging out Grimlock.

There's only a couple negatives I can think of, the bits of kibble on the sides of the leg, the back of the tape player mode being a bit of a jumble and the forefingers' joint being ridiculously easy to pop off (my gripe with MP-10 too), but other than that it's just awesome. Great engineering and a simple but fun and effective transformation. Laserbeak is awesome too. It seriously looks like it flew out of the G1 cartoon and onto Soundwave's shoulder. The way they worked the back cannons into the transformation and cassette mode is just great.

I really can't stop gushing about it.

7. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I get the scratches on the eyes being "one of those things" that just pick at you, but honestly, if the figure is solid everywhere else it is a crapshoot as to whether the next one is actually better or has some other minor but noticeable issue if not outright broken.

I would just try to paint it with a read clear paint pen. Should work like a charm.

The shoulder cannon is, well, NOT a QC issue. That's how they're made.

8. ex dtw2003

News Credits:
    I get that mentality but I don't think it is actually possible or even in the realm of "betting odds". You'll get more hearthache that actual satisfaction thinking like that IMHO.

Heck, try paying 1000x more for something and have it be perfect. Yeah, that doesn't happen with cars.

9. jbz

jbz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah, I would just ask for a new head if anything :)  I haven't seen many, if any, with the chipped eye. But I'm sure there are others. The shoulder cannon doesn't bother me. In the end, I'll live lol

10. ex dtw2003

News Credits:
    Pretty sure you could ask just for the eyes which I think are painted separately to ensure perfect paint.

11. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is the part everyone forgets.:2c: 

12. Cyberseven

Cyberseven Seeker

I really love this figure. He is my 9th MP figure and my 7th Takara one. I just want to throw my opinion in the QC issue bucket and say that IMHO as others have said, nothing is perfect and there will always be some flaws. It is up to the individual to determine what is acceptable. I am just glad MP13 SW didn't suffer from the horrible paint SNAFU issues that MP12 SS did. I can't however agree that the flashing spots on the shoulder gun and the bubbles in the eyes qualify as a QC issue. The chip in the eye I can see how that would stand out though, especially since its on the face. I would probably look for a way to fix, or touch it up though, rather then exchange it, but that is just me.

13. naldopr

naldopr Well-Known Member

nothing is perfect and that I know,no matter the process still $200.00, I was lucky mine came with just a small scratch on his arm and was simple to fix but some other folks here got bad one I know how disappointing this is. if mine wasn't fine or free of flaws I return it as many time until I get for what I pay for or my money back.

14. REMINATOR

REMINATOR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Got a chance to play and photo my MP13 Soundwave, so here are the pics:

Soundwave - How to make a cube, using photo paper:
    [​IMG]

Laserbeak, operation guarding the cubes:
    [​IMG]

Delicious energon cube:
    [​IMG]

A blast of the music:
    [​IMG]

MP13 Megatron with MP11 Starscream and MP10 Prime:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. sifu74

sifu74 Well-Known Member

Just received mine. It came with scratches on his gold chest area, scratches on his bottom feet and scratches on his faceplate. He doesn't look that impressive in person as Sideswipe or Red Alert, and his leg kibble is just bothersome. However Laserbeak is just damn cool.
    I will be using him to cover my cards when playing Poker:D 

16. mandingo_rex

mandingo_rex ★★★★★

It's not shown in your photos, but the new mini-Megatron has a secondary hinge that at the base of the grip that adjusts the stock so it still points back, parallel to the forearm.

17. crazee928

crazee928 Well-Known Member

just got mine tonight - no blemishes, so i'm one of the fortunate ones. that sprue cut on top of your shoulder cannon is normal, but on mine it's sitting on the underside, which leads me to believe you can somehow rotate the front piece upside down to hide it. whether it's glued on or held by friction, i'll leave that for you modders to figure out.

i got a circular pattern on the lower left corner under the eyepiece, but then i noticed the exact same pattern on the lower right corner, so it seems to be normal circular pattern seen on the underside of the molds (a la gundams), and not a 'bubbling' defect.

pretty cool guy, i must admit. boring alt mode (he's a rectangular box, after all), but robot mode is ace.

18. ZEGR

ZEGR Well-Known Member

just got him in hand.....he is so awesome...fortunately not scratches apart from some minor on the bottom of his feet....also that little triangle crest is not painted on mine,is it on everybody else's?

19. Quantum

Quantum Oh good

So I put a layer of Futureshine on Laserbeak's painted side and his guns to avoid all the paint chipping/scratching issues, and now that it has dried, he feels much sturdier. I don't feel like I have to be as delicate. His red has also deepened a bit.

20. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

Ebay:
    Rrg, mine's stuck in customs, so expecting some ridiculous charge from HMRC. Just finished paying this years corporation tax bill as well - no idea why the government has no cash, they certainly seem to have all of mine ><

Looking forward to freeing him from their evil clutches though, he looks awesome :)