Takara MP 01 Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by reptar15, Jul 27, 2007.

1. reptar15

reptar15 Member

I'm interested in purchasing a MP 01 Prime MISB
    but can't find one locally so prob will have to buy on ebay.

I'm curioius though, how can you differ the 1st production run from the 2nd?

are the boxes different or marked with different dates?

I know the 1st production run came out in 2003
    how bout the 2nd production?

thanks

2. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

Far as I know, they're virtually identical. Perhaps copyright information?

3. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

Not even that IIRC. They second run was supposedly made for markets outside of Japan.

4. cannabisprime

cannabisprime Well-Known Member

From what I've read, they are the same. As for buying on eBay right now, your wallet will prolly cry; MP01 prices of $170 and upwards are the norm it seems.

5. reptar15

reptar15 Member

what do you guys suggest for me to do?

i heard there are quality issues with the mp 04

but then i heard there are also quality issues with mp 01 2nd release

should i wait or buy now?

6. Mr. Wholesome

Mr. Wholesome WWOD What Would Ops Do?

Ebay:
    I got mine a few months ago and believe me there are no QC issues, it's great. I missed out on the original release cause I was in the grey area of not collecting but still a fan. But I started collectiong a year ago again and am now caught up. Believe me there is nothing wrong with him and if you can find him for a decent price then pick him up. There is a lot of speculation of where they come from and what differentiates them from the first production, but I heard they were just extras from the first release.

And doesn't MP-04 have different stickers on his communicators?

7. cannabisprime

cannabisprime Well-Known Member

The only quality issue I'm aware of with MP01 was the chest doors are sometime misaligned.

It's a tough call of whether to wait or buy one now; if you wait too long, the Xmas price inflation on ebay might bite you as well.

Noticed you're from Toronto; have you checked out the Winner's stores there? There are still reports that DVD Prime is still being sold for $40CDN; it would be a cheap alternative to owning an MP01.

8. reptar15

reptar15 Member

ya i checked out winners but as a collector i rather get the takara even though it'll cost more.

i'll prob keep monitoring ebay and get one there if i can't find any local stores with them left.

thanks

9. Mr. Wholesome

Mr. Wholesome WWOD What Would Ops Do?

Ebay:
    He's deffinantly worth it. I have 20th Prime, DVD Prime and MP-01 Prime, and he is the best out of all them.

10. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

MP-01 is the best choice for collectors. I got him when he was first announced and I coulnt be happier.

11. reptar15

reptar15 Member

anyone still see a takara mp 01 around local stores?

thanks

12. nuropa

nuropa Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've also read MP01 2nd run has more QC issues, 1st run or the 2004 20th op are the most desirable. mp4 is the worst of the bunch when it come to QC.

13. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    You'll read posts about MP-04's QC issues but this is only a problem with a certain percentage of MP-04's. At TFsource, after most of their MP-04's were gone they specifically said they were down to only their problematic MP-04's. The one I got at BBTS for $160 had none. No misaligned windows and no bad paint apps.

Since you came late to the party you're pretty much assed out. The price you'll be paying now for a DVD Prime is what you could have paid for a genuine MP-01 back then. I would have trouble rationalizing to myself dropping almost $200 for any Prime toy, and MP-04 will cost you at least $250 before shipping

14. Golgo-013

Golgo-013 The Professional

Wow, he has gone up in price. You could either spend around $100 for a loose or opened MP 20th Aniv on ebay or spend a lot and get MISB on ebay. I bought an MP 20th Prime loose on ebay and he is in great condition, this toy holds up very well.
    (Edit)-When I say 20th Aniv Prime, I'm taking about the first, not the DVD Prime. DVD Prime really sucks in comparision.

As for the QC. I haven't read any real QC difference between MP-01 1st and 2nd run, I would like to see proof on that. The door alignment problem can be on any MP Prime/Convoy. There is a paint color red mismatch on the diecast chest of MP-04.

I'm glad I finally picked up my first MP-01, a 2nd run MP-01 MISB from TFSource a few months ago at $120. I don't ever plan to open it, so on QC its just the same as 1st run to me.

This is the best Masterpiece still. MP-01 was the only MP Convoy I didn't have because I have 2 MP 20th Aniv Primes, MP-2, and MP-04.

15. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

Ditto.

16. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    With the current priceing on eBay 20th Prime (not DVD) would be your best bet. It's Identical to MP-01 with thte exception of having short stacks. You can buy long stacks for about $15 though. Which is much cheaper than dropping close to $200 for MP-01.

17. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Did they correct the spelling error on the box for the second run?
    (for those who don't know, the box on the first run at least had "More then meet TEH eye" on it")

18. Neo-Bombshell

Neo-Bombshell Proudly Peruvian Transfan

News Credits:
    So I see that MP-01 is no less than $150 now woithout shipping... anoter impossible dream for me...

19. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    Didn't the first run of MP01 come with a gray gun? Then the second run had the (proper) black one -or am I thinking of the US release?

20. GreenScream

GreenScream Neo G1 Collector

News Credits:
    I sold my MP-01 on ebay a few weeks ago for $180 and now am considering whether or not to sell my MP-04 as well.

I bought a DVD Prime for $22.50 from TRU and got a set of the long smokestacks for it. The colors don't bother me at all. I've already sold MP-01 and MP-03 but still have MP-04 and MP-05. I'm very tempted to get rid of my Masterpiece figures, they are all going for mad money on ebay right now.