Takara LG-14 Ultra Magnus

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Starscream Gaga, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Legends Ultra Magnus

[​IMG]

Very late review, I've been busy and have fallen behind on the Takara write ups! But here is there later, release, Takara's version of the Leader Class Ultra Magnus!

Just to get it out of the way because a lot of people seem to be confused about this. The Takara version of the figure is accurate to Ultra Magnus as he appeared in during More Than Meets The Eye Season One, where the Magnus Armor had red thighs. Comparatively the Hasbro version is accurate to how the Magnus Armor appears in More Than Meets The Eye Season Two.

Season One Magnus Armor:
    ultra magnus season 1.jpg

Season Two Magnus Armor:
    ultra magnus season 2.png

So strangely enough, the Magnus Armor component of this figure is extremely accurate to how Ultra Magnus appears in the comics, despite the comics not being officially released in Japan. Which is why its strange that...

[​IMG]

... This guy is a thing! Here's the replacement for Minimus Ambus with the Takara release, Alpha Trion! The mold works well enough for the character, although I think the long beard being painted on top of his chest looks a little "meh". Its nice to finally get a version of Alpha Trion in the Generations lines, albeit one so small. He's well detailed for such a tiny figure, especially in the face, although as you can see they've messed up badly on his head for my figure. There's a massive white blotch up there, which I'm not ecstatic about.

[​IMG]

Alpha Trion turns into a little Cybertronian Car. It works well enough for the character, although I think the only time he's transformed in a canon story he's either been a Jet or a something akin to Batman's Tumbler. the paint is done well enough, although its a little shame that the headlights have been left untouched.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here he is in comparison to the mold's intention, Minimus Ambus. As cute as the little Alpha Trion is, I'd have much preferred Takara to stick with Minimus Ambus and paint him with the same level of detail as they've given Alpha Trion. This release reminds me a lot of the LG Swerve and Tailgate set, where the super toy-accurate Swerve and Tailgate came with a big MTMTE reference in the "My First Blaster". Magnus is the opposite- the main figure is super MTMTE-accurate with a completely unrelated accessory!

[​IMG]

(Sorry for the blur) considering that the idea of Alpha Trion wearing the Magnus armor is a little weird, I've been looking for an alternate display for the character. The best I can think of is with the Metroplex-scaled Generations Legends. He looks pretty good with Optimus actually, although he may be a tad too small for the job.

[​IMG]

Now onto the main event- Here's the Formerly Duly Appointed Officer of the Tyrest Accord and Director of Security himself! Takara have really lifted their game for this release and he looks marvellous! I personally think Ultra Magnus is one of the best figures we've ever gotten, flaws and all and the Takara one really puts it up a level with its beautiful deco.

[​IMG]

On the outside of the armor all the little details that were missing on the Hasbro version have been added for comic accuracy, particularly striking are the yellow lights on the sides of his cannon pillars. The yellow details on the knee-caps aren't really accurate to any particular version of the character, but they do actually look really great and help separate all the various colors of the figure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ultra Magnus comes with two guns and his missile launchers and of course they can also combine into a Magnus Hammer. The white guns look so much better then Hasbro's in my opinion and work well for the character considering that Magnus brandishes a white gun in the comics as well. The hammer itself still looks kind of awkward and isn't really a gimmick I'm big on. Its a lovely Animated homage and the more Animated the better, but Ultra Magnus really doesn't have the articulation to make it work well.

[​IMG]

Of course as we all know, wether you love it or hate it, Ultra Magnus has a pretty big secret- the giant blue and white guy is actually a suit! The insides of the Magnus armor have been left completely blank, just like in the Hasbro version. Its a bit unfortunate, because the included comic depicts the screens on the inside as being coloured.

[​IMG]

Of course Alpha Trion can pilot the armor, but really the true identity of Magnus...

[​IMG]

... Requires you to own the Hasbro version as well. Alpha Trion will be tossed aside and Minimus Ambus will be taking his proper place in the Magnus Armor for my display. Its just a shame that Takara went fully MTMTE for the armor and then included a random Alpha Trion. Its a bizarre choice to cater to two different demographics rather then focus on one and it means to get the best out of the figure you need to buy him twice. At least the figure's a good one so its not completely terrible to own again!

[​IMG]

Ultra Magnus' alt mode has been given a big make-over, with significantly more blue and painted rims. He looks undeniably better then the Hasbro version, however that big red square on his roof is a bit annoying and out of place. I understand they wanted more red on Magnus' robot mode, but the pay off is a bit too big for my tastes.

[​IMG]

Ultra Magnus is scaled to carry your Legends figures, but he can also pull around a limited number of Deluxes. 4 Legends or 2 Deluxes are ideal, but a lot of Deluxes are too tall to fit in the bottom row.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few comparison photos with the Hasbro version. Both versions looks great, but in the end the Takara's deco wins out when it comes to the armor. The blue used on Takara's is far more aesthetically pleasing and the extra details really help bring out the figure. I'm personally also a fan of the red thighs over the white ones, but from what I've seen that's very subjective.

[​IMG]

In conclusion I say this figure is definitely worthwhile... But only if you either already own Minimus Ambus or really don't care about the character. Ultimately this figure is MTMTE Magnus and I can't help but feel Takara only are giving you half the experience without Minimus. Alpha Trion is definitely nice, but he doesn't give you the whole experience of the character. I love this Magnus and he'll be proudly displayed on my Lost Light shelf, but I can understand those that stick with the Hasbro one.

Here's some group photos to end the review:

[​IMG]

Lost Light Command Season Two

[​IMG]

The Movie Crew

[​IMG]

Lost Lighters 1

[​IMG]

Lost Lighters 2

Thanks for reading!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Still see the Sunshine

Great pics, he looks fantastic! That is a thing of beauty, but I do agree that the distinct lack of Minimus Ambus is very unfortunate. I think I'll just paint Alpha Trion into him.

It seems like the inside of one of his guns is painted, do both have paint in them?

3. Wars

Wars I ate the WHOLE plate

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Man, this thing looks beautiful. Personally, I prefer the mix of red and blue on the trailer in vehicle mode on the Hasbro version, but the sold blue on the torso and calves of the Takara version makes it look much more coherent, and comic accurate of course

The lack of Minimus is kind of disappointing, but the little Alpha Trion is kind of neat. This thing does look really nice, and I'm super tempted to get it, as I'd be more than happy to have two of the mold, but I think I'm just gonna stick with my Hasbro version for the time being

4. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

Personally, I think the colors on the Takara version look a lot better than Hasbro's, especially the shade of blue. If I decide to get Ultra Magnus (again), I'm getting this one, and try to see if I could buy Mininus off from someone.

5. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

Also got mine in the mail and he's gorgeous :) 

He's also very small :(  I knew leaders had shrunk (and already seen it in hand with Megatron), but Magnus is small even for current leaders. Ah, if only this had come out 5 years ago: he would've been RotF Prime sized, no visible hollow spaces and build rock solid. (It would've replaced MP-22 if it were like that.)

Now I really like this, but I can't help but hope TT releases a Diaclone Powered Convoy. They've got the mold and it even comes with a little robot buggy.

6. Matrix1981

Matrix1981 It's Hot Rod's fault...

The colour differences reminds me of Hasbro MP-10 vs Takara MP-10. This version looks a lot nicer. Great review.

7. Snoopy Magnus

Snoopy Magnus THE FLYING MONKEY!

Man, that color deco difference on takara is spot on, i would love to get my hands on this one.... On sale of course. ~$70 premium on the likes of bbts is not winning me over. Will keep my eyes open though.

8. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    The deco does look sweet though like you I am sad that it doesn't come with Minimus which makes more sense then with Alpha Trion or at the least make him into Dion since it would be a nice fan wink and a retcon of Orion's friend that we never really hear from again. So I'm happy with just the Hasbro version.

Now if Takara does a Powered Convoy repaint out of the mold with Minimus being in Blue Convoy colors then that's another story. :D 

9. phoenixliger

phoenixliger Ogre

Ultra Magnus came in just as I got back from my vacation. This was the second time I've bought a Takara version of a figure and I couldn't be happier (skybite being my first). He sits at the back of my display but do to the richer blue and red his presence is almost over whelming.

I do wish that if he didn't come with Minimus that the Alphatrion was made with clear plastic. It would make it look like Alpha was a hologram. although I would have accepted a Dion too

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I really want this figure, but I wish, wish, wish it came with Minimus. Granted I could always paint AT into Minimus but that feels kinda lame on a premium figure, and painting stuff white kinda sucks.

11. Underwear

Underwear Banned

News Credits:
    Very nice paint apps especially on the tyre rims.

12. Omega 0ne

Omega 0ne YF-21

I posted this in the regular Combiner Wars Ultra Magnus thread, but I thought I'd also post it here.
    Apologies to Starscream Gaga for stealing a little bit of his thunder! :) 

First impressions:
    - Better tolerances and smoother joints, especially in the neck hinge and legs
    - No stress marks near the ankles
    - Slightly better plastic quality
    - Super bright white and vibrant blue
    - More cohesive alt mode
    Some cons:
    - Upper legs/hips a slightly darker shade of red compared to the thighs
    - Two right ankle joints. I had to trim down the left one in order for the foot to collapse into the leg for transformation
    - Looser ankle ratchets than the Hasbro version
    - One of the rear tires is loose. There's a molding issue where it doesn't clip in fully
    Not huge issues but it's still sad to see them in a Takara figure when my Hasbro one was relatively QC/error free

Differences from the Hasbro release:
    - Pure white plastic vs Hasbro's off-white, all white weapons
    - Brighter more vibrant shade of blue
    - Red plastic parts on the Hasbro version replaced with blue in altmode
    - White plastic parts on the Hasbro version replaced with red on: neck hinge, back of cab, inner arm hinges, hips/thighs, and ankles
    - Silver painted rims
    - Red paint apps on altmode car carrier deck and sides
    - Blue paint apps on the robot mode shins, crotch, and waist
    - Yellow paint apps on the shins and shoulder pylons
    - Gunmetal grey paint apps on the chest and feet
    - White antenna and silver head crest
    - Lighter blue visor that almost blends in with the silver of his face
    - Autobot emblems on both shoulder pads
    - And obviously Alpha Trion instead of Minimus Ambus

Both versions are not exactly 100% accurate in color scheme to the IDW comic, G1 toy or cartoon. But regardless of whichever one you end up with, I still highly recommend this figure.

Here are some comparison pics versus my custom detailed Hasbro CW Leader Ultra Magnus and Minimus Ambus. I know it's not exactly a fair matchup, but it will at least give you a glimpse of the differences in plastics/color/deco.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  13. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was lucky to obtain a spare Minimus Ambus from a member on here who didn't want their's. They're out there. My patience worked out, I adore this figure.

14. BattleUpSaber

BattleUpSaber Result.

News Credits:
    Sigh...I'm still conflicted on which Magnus to get. I like the deco on this one more but I need Minimus. And I can't get both, nor can I find anyone locally willing to let go of a Minimus.

What's the story on the pack in Manga? Does it explain what Alpha Trion has to do with Ultra Magnus?

15. BattleUpSaber

BattleUpSaber Result.

News Credits:
    Also, Magnus does have "knee lights" in the comics on occasion.

Attached Files:

16. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Thank you for the review, Omega! Fantastically done!

Not really... Megatron and Armada Megatron are attacking a city and Alpha Trion appears and calls Ultra Magnus in. Ultra Magnus opens up to allow Alpha Trion to come inside but he instead puts T-AI in for protection.

I stand corrected! Is that Season Two only?

17. Mercutio

Mercutio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just like Takara's all-blue trailer so much better than Hasbro's red and blue mash-up. That's the deciding factor for me. Bot modes are about even; I wish I could pick and choose bits of both.

18. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm of the suspicion that they're aiming for a a Micromaster Rodimus repaint with Minimus/Alpha Trion somewhere down the line

19. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    I'd started regretting ordering the Takara version from HLJ over the domestic release, since Magnus has been on shelves for weeks. But mine finally came yesterday.

Loving the more toy-accurate colors on this guy. The red thighs are taken right from the original toy, the guns are the right color, and as noted by several here the rims are painted. Overall a much nicer figure, especially since it cost the same as the Hasbro version (before shipping).

The altmode is a bit small - the cab looks a closer match to the deluxe Optimi we've gotten than the "standard" Classics Voyager or the current CW Voyager. Overall, I'm glad I got him, but he won't be replacing the Classics Magnus/City Commander combo. Or if I could transplant this guy's head on the City Commander armor, the rest could go into storage.

And he needs a better hammer. I don't like how he has to sacrifice all his other weapons to form the hammer. Maybe I'll dig up Animated UM and see if his will work. . .

And it comes with a bonus Alpha Trion to put in my Legends Class Autobot City display. Since I loathe IDW, I got the Takara version specifically because it doesn't include Ambus.

Now if a third party would release a kit to make this guy a bit more like the G1 version . . . The colors and Trion help, but he could use a new blockier chestplate, maybe some replacement rocket launchers designed to fit onto the front of the top level of the car carrier. The launchers are supposed to be in front, not on the sides. And an additional hammer would be nice as well (though not really G1 of course).

And as always, I wish the pilot gimmick had been omitted. Having a cockpit and pilot makes this guy feel less like Ultra Magnus than Diaclone Powered Convoy. Or a Gundam modeled after Magnus. It's a good design with excellent engineering, but I just can't wrap my head around the idea of Ultra Magnus being a piloted mecha, or anyone but an albino Optimus being his core. Maybe once I have access to my WST Magnus I'll see if the cab robot will fit in this guy.

20. timcourtois

timcourtois Well-Known Member

Love the base mode that was posted! I figured out that if you flip the cab around, it becomes a throne for Minimus! This looks pretty epic.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1