Takara JRX vs. Hasbro Rail Racer

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Stune, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Stune

Stune Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Are there any notable differences between the Takara and Hasbro version of the Car Robots/RiD JRX Bullet Trains?

2. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Well I understand some Hasbro trains shipped with Clear windows - but most of them are opaque plastic with painted on detail (nicer in robot mode but inferior in vehicle mode).

The Japanese ones use clear parts with paint on top on the trains.

The Hasbro ones all have visible Autobot logos on them but the Japanese one have none and in some cases there's a train name logo where there's an autobot logo instead.

There may be a slight difference on the supermode head colors (but I don't have them in front of me to check)

Otherwise they are quite similar really.

------------------------------

There's also slight differences between the Autobot Brothers and the Build Team from Hasbro to Takara versions like the colors of the rubber on the tires and the logos and some of the paint (X-brawn for example has different lights and weapons molds compared to Wildride - who's generally better).

Differences between Speedbreaker and Sideburn are minimal, Prowl Vs Machalert - Machalert has clear windows and Prowl's are tinted Prowl has a visible autobot logo in car mode.
    I think Prowl might have a very slight mold change on his wrist too.

Hasbro's Wedge is actually a slight remold for example over the takara version. and the American ones have more logos on the toys.

3. javaco

javaco javaco

News Credits:
    hah might as well tell u now that we r trading

but yeah the windows on them are translucent. and the blue paint i think is shinier and im not sure if they are even autobot signs on them hah

heres some pics if youd like to see the one ull be getting
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Also, the cybertron 500 tampo on my Rail Racer got smudged and almost worn off as I was forming the damn thing. Can you believe it? I was fiddling with it, trying to connect the parts, and when all was done, lo and behold, the tampoed sign was almost gone, rubbed off almost completely by my fiddling. WTH??

5. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Ah, Rail Racer.....such a superb combiner. Best to date, IMO.

6. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    For my understanding JRX was made with a lot more translucent plastic to allow those translucent windows, with the rest painted over. Hasbro's was entirely solid, some with painted windows, some without, since it was cheaper than painting such a large surface of the toy. But it also seems to make a difference when combining as Hasbro's opaque plastic is stiffer and combining the toys is a little harder as a result.

7. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    That's the wrong missile on J-7 (the grey one) it should be black and it acts as a link to daisy chain the trains it's got a square hole in it and peg on the end and it also pegs under J-5's (the blue and white ones) nose and between J-4's legs when he's in train mode.

Incidently the two main guns combine in the supermode as a rifle, and J-4's shield either hold in his other arm or can peg on his backside.

I personally like to put the small rifle one on each shoulder instead though.

8. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  9. Plastic Man

Plastic Man The Man in Black

I don't have both, but I have JRX and I think it's awesome.

10. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You have pics of those? Where on the backside does the shield peg into?

I was just playing with my JRX. :) 

I hated RID. But JRX and Landfill are just too cool.

11. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

JRX one of my top 10 transformers........yes, I count him as 1.

12. javaco

javaco javaco

News Credits:
    yeah i know, i bought that one on ebay and it was missing the missile. so i just got a missile from some other figure, cut it slightly to fit and it works fine, cept it doesnt stay perfectly on in train mode but it still does. and i usually just kept that one in the back if i ever put them 3 trains connected.

13. Cybertronian

Cybertronian Well-Known Member

Significant ones? Yes, and how!

On Railspike, compared to J-5: The left side Japan Rail logo homage has been replaced by a huge Autobot symbol. In addtion, his legs and flanks are now made out of solid white plastic. The first variant has the train body painted to be a near match to the original, but forgot to paint the windows. The second has the side windows painted a bluish metallic color. J-5/Railspike is my favorite overall, but I prefer the matching rail graphics of J-5.

On Rapid Run, compared to J-7: The RailStar Japan West colors J-7 wears are very similar to (American) Union Pacific's gray and Armour Yellow. Possibly because UP has their colors trademarked and copyrighted, Rapid Run is a lighter silver color. (Some of his yellow is also replaced with gold.) J-7's black in some places has been replaced by metalflaked extra dark blue, and there are uneven patches of silver near the bottom. 2 strips on the train's roof (possibly where the electric pickups should be) are painted gold. The first version has it's windows surrounded by a dark color, but with no paint on the windows. The second uses sky blue not only in the windows, but on the engineer's windscreen and the 2 spaces underneath for the headlight wells. His Autobot insignia is tampoed on what becomes both his back as well as Rail Racer's. (If he had a rubsign, it should be on the part of his roof that becomes his shield.) Rapid Run (2nd variant) is my favorite of the American Team Bullet Train/Shinkansen and I am torn between using him and the included J-7 in my own JRX. (Because of the lack of durability of J-7's clear plastic, and a small crack in J-7's shoulder hinge, my JRX currently consists of J-5, Rapid Run, and J-4.)

On Midnight Express, compared to J-4: As with Railspike, the clear plastic is discarded for plastic that matches the Shinkansen's base coat. Unfortunately, this becomes most obvious in M.E.'s robot mode. As with the cartoon version, J-4 makes great use of dramatic light piping to make his leg details appear to glow a bright yellow. On M.E., the same blue paint apps are there, but with solid white showing in the open spaces. His 2 variants feature the same problem with last-minute window painting (a metallic bluish color used on his 2nd variant windows; primer gray on the 1st variant), but I can't remember if it carries over to his engineer's windshield and headlights. His Autobot insignia is tampoed on what eventually becomes one of his winged shoulder pads. (If they had rubsigns, I wish his was on the opposite pad.)

I agree with Razorclaw: be very, very, careful with the paint. I think J-5's got scratched in one place by the positive connector (rounded metal pin) of a Lionel track section. Red Alert Rescue is also right: J-7/Rapid Run's shield missile doubles as his engine coupler. Don't lose it! I lost (8 yrs. ago, and eventually found) J-4's yellow missile. Though you can do without it, the combined JRX rifle doesn't look right without it.

Another thing I like, and wish I could have duplicated: The heads of all 3 can be unscrewed, and the eyes (painted red on all but J-7/Rapid Run) accessed. I wish I had duplicates of their eyes that I could paint sky blue or some other (better-looking) color.