Takara>Hasbro

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Seabringer, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Seabringer

Seabringer D34dp00l's H34dm4st3r

This is a rant, just to be clear.

Im sick of Hasbro's shitty quality plastic. This is why I buy my reissues from Takara instead of Hasbro. Takara produces high quality Transformers, Hasbro turns them into cheap plastic peices of trash. Why do I say this? Why am I so unhappy?

I just got my 2 pack of Cybertron Starscream vs. Vector Prime today. Now don't get me wrong, its a great 2 pack, and prolly the only thing from the Cybertron line I am going to buy. Its also the only way to get Cybertron Starscream in a workable, non-monster, ungayed size. I love it. Vector Prime on the other hand has a ton of shitty plastic on him. Not only is his key not painted like the Japanese figure, but his wings are missing the maroon edging, and the plastic is so flimsy, its practically *wavy*, and it seems to be eternally bent. The worst part of this cheap ass plastic is his whole sword is made from it, so I have a POS sword that looks like its been through the washer/dryer a few times. I mean what the fuck... honestly... can't Hasbro just produce a decent toy line without fucking up the nicest figure in it? Im almost tempted to throw away my Vector Prime and buy the Japanese Version now. Im so appalled that this is literally my first post on this board in years. Just to tell you guys how much Hasbro sucks ass. I hate them. Hell, I dont even know if Takara makes the Galaxy force line, someone please correct me if they don't.

2. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And you, my friend, have no clue what the hell you're talking about. That "cheap" flexible plastic you're talking about? It's more expensive to produce than the hard stuff. Those hard plastic wings/swords you're practically drooling over? Translucent plastic = shatter me now.

I'm tired of this misconception that Hasbro's constantly cheaping out on everybody. They're not. They're making conscious decisions based on creating toys that are durable. If I had a nickel for every time I've heard complaints of Takara VP's sword handle snapping off, I'd be a rich bastard. Hasbro VP's sword? I'd have problems trying to scrape together bus fare.

3. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

Ebay:
    First off, ungayed size? Wow, don't you just have a wonderful vocabulary? Can't say I'm sorry you don't post here more often.

As for VP's sword, it's most likely a safety issue. Hate the government for their toy safety laws, not Hasbro who's hands are tied on the matter.

4. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    dude, i dont mind the rant but WTF?

you began the rant by stating that you prefer the jap reissues. then proceed to illustrate the point by talking abt the a cybertron example?

5. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    The sword is not a safety issue. Modern TFs are designed with US safety requirements in mind, so any speculation about missing accessories due to those safety laws is pretty much bull. If the sword was an issue, we'd never have helicoptors with actual rotors, either. And we just had Cruellock and Starscream in Energon, with pretty darned sizeable blades.

Nope, the way I see it, purely a durability issue. VP's sword is pretty darned thin, and prone to snapping as a result. So Hasbro decided to mold it (and his wings) in a plastic that can actually take stress without becoming irreparably damaged.

6. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

They seriously need to back off the flex agent. Those parts could have been made soft enough to be durable, without being so floppy. Same thing with Thundercracker's V-stabs, and canards. That's probably my biggest complaint with Hasbro, and it's really more of a minor gripe.

I'm not for against either company. They both have different markets that they have to try to apease. Buy the version of the toy, you preffer.

7. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    I read until you wrote "ungayed." That's when I decided that you were bigoted and not worth my time.

8. Seabringer

Are you disagreeing with me that the size of "supreme Starscream" Isn't ludicrous? If you prefer your toys that big and blocky, no wonder you love Hasbro so much. As for my vocabulary, I'd say more, but I got all that flaming out of my system when I originally posted here.

Yes, Cybertron (Hasbro) vs. Galaxy Force (Japanese). Which part didn't you understand?

Thats fine with me. I still prefer the hard stuff. I understand the toys are for 5+ year olds, I can accept that. My preferences lie with Japanese transformers, which have always been geared more towards collectors than kindergarteners in the first place.

You're telling me that RiD is higher quality than CR? Or that Hasbro reissues are superior to Takara reissues? Id have to disagree there.

All Im saying is they could have used a plastic that left the sword straight. As it is now, I cant even force it straight. Its garbage.

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I dont get the hate on hasbro's re-issues. they did what they had to do to get them released here, a lot of stuff was out of their control. as for the quality of the figures themselves? hasbro's are normally SUPERIOR. compare Hasbro re-issue jazz to Takara re-issue jazz. Takara's jazz is a floppy mess. hasbro's is tight as hell, they knew what they were doing when they put the damn thing together. paint applications are also a bit better done on the hasbro re-issues that I have both takara and hasbro versions of.

the plastic quality is always the same between the releases.

"ungayed size"? that "gay sized" starscream is exactly how he appears through half the series, and was also released in japan. and guess what? takara engineed the thing side by side with hasbro.

hasbro and takara are partners. they work together on damn near everything. blame hasbro for the floppy sword on VP? fine. blame takara for a bad design that breaks apart if that soft plastic ISNT used.

and one more thing. you need to calm the hell down and learn how to speak to your fellow board members with respect. you're borderline flaming in this little rant of yours.

10. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    the part where, I quote, you said "This is why I buy my reissues from Takara instead of Hasbro."?

which part of "you began the rant by stating that you prefer the jap reissues. then proceed to illustrate the point by talking abt the a cybertron example?" did you not understand?

11. Dark Magnus

Ebay:
    Eh, sue me for assuming.

12. Seabringer

The theme of my post was Takara vs. Hasbro Transformers. My gripe was about the Cybertron line, and I was using G1 reissues (another takara/hasbro joint toyline) as a perfectly legit referenced example. Are we clear yet?

13. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Takara and Hasbro BOTH are guilty of quality issues... It's a fact... The majority of my stuff IS Takara and they're just as guilty of bad QC issues as Hasbro is...

14. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    They're exactly the same as far as quality goes. as for how they're different? RiD was a much larger line, and was successful. CR was extremely small, and almost killed takara with it's massive failure.

Nope, they're geared towards kids just as much. Transformers are actually targetted a bit YOUNGER in japan, because the older kids are normally into gundam and other stuff.

15. Dark Magnus

Ebay:
    Seeing as it's show accurate, no it's not ludicrous. It fits into the story of Galaxy Force. As for liking big blocky toys, hell yes I do. I love Fort Max, I love Metroplex, I love Unicron, I love Omega Supreme (both G1 and Energon), and I love Supreme Starscream. It's an impressive display piece and the giant cannon looks nice. ZOMG I want Hasbro to have my babies!!!!! I have a mixed collection of Takara and Hasbro, it all depends on which company releases the nicer figure.

16. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    What about RiD was poor quality? AFAIK, the only differences were added insignias, and the choice to use flat coloured plastics instead of metallic flake on Optimus and Magnus. Otherwise, the releases are practically identical. Well, minus X-Brawn's remolds, which are totally not Hasbro's fault. And on the flip side, Sideburn actually got approved by Dodge, and got an authentic viper logo on his Super release.

And where the hell do you live, in the middle of Death Valley, or something? My Vector Prime's in a freakin' bin right now, tossed in willy-nilly with all my other Cybertron TFs. Been like that for months. His wings are still straight. The only time his sword ever got warped was when I stuck it in my pocket for whatever reason, and it got warmed up by my leg. I just had to put a book on it for about an hour, and it was straight again. It's gotta be pretty darned hot in your house for the thing to go limp in the air. Certainly not at an average 20-22 C room temperature.

17. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    ah. i understand.

still doesnt make sense tho', since you referred to the reissues, both japanese and american version were consistent in quality. they use the same plastic, same amount of die cast metal, same decals.

with the exception of some non-chromed weapons, i dont see the use of inferior materials/shoddy workmanship on the US side.

18. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Yay. You've come here to bash Hasbro and elevate Takara. Woo.

We've heard it a thousand times... and every single time it was boring.

So you don't like Hasbro? Good for you. Import Takara. Problem solved.

19. Autobot Dave

Autobot Dave Photobot

You know what's tasty?

Twinkies.

And Kool-Aid.

Mmmm.

HAVE FUN!!!

20. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    the only other real difference in CR/RID was the coloration of Baldigus vs. Ruination.
    Oh yeah, and Scourge got bad-ass red transparent plastic versus Black Convoy's pretty pink transparent plastic.