Takara Encore Series - Quality?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Slappytron, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Slappytron

Slappytron Peace through Slapping

Been looking at the Takara Encore series of G1 reissues. Anybody own any of these? Are they diecast? How close is the quality to the original toys? Thanks in advance.

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    yeah, they have diecast. same amount as the originals.

as for quality, well, encore is a bit different.

there isnt one single encore release that is identical to the original toy. they all have "improvements" made to them, some details that used to be stickers are now painted on, like the stripes on ironhide and ratchet. the eyes on jazz, hoist, and trailbreaker (and the minibot reissue set) are painted blue, megatron's silver plastic now has kind of a brown tint to it, soundwave's plastic is a different shade than the original, and convoy has metallic blue plastic now. omega supreme now has sculpted eyes.

quality control on some of them is something to watch out for too. pretty much all the first run megatrons are broken in the package. there's a tab that is in his chest that is for the bullet launching mechanism, and it's bent. it hampers transformation, and you have to move his chest around oddly when collapsing it for gun mode.

a lot of convoys have really messed up eye paint applications. mine is practically winking at me.

the laserbeak included with soundwave doesnt transform into tape mode too well. parts stick out. not streamlined at all like the original, or earlier reissues.

after wave 1, QC improved a lot.

you're not gonna find anything better for the price though. encores are cheaper than the other reissue lines, they look nice, and the line seems like it's gonna stick around for a while. and it's hard to complain about a line that happily reissues omega supreme, metroplex, and sky lynx.

3. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

I've got quite a few of the encore releases and they are good. The die-cast is solid and the colors are vibrant. The over-all impression of this line is very favorable. The boxes look great ,and I get the feeling that they really care about the quality of the figures.
    If your looking for g1 re-issues, the encore line is very good. If I didnt already have them, I'd supplement the Hasbro reissues with the encore. (the ones that over-lap)

4. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    My Encore Convoy's plastic definitely feels lighter and lower quality than my G1 Ultra Magnus cab. He's the only Encore I have, though, so I don't know if that's a common problem with the whole line or not.

5. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Encore's are pretty solid, and as close to the originals as you'll get now (mostly by default, since there is no other ongoing reissue line, but whatever). You do have to watch out for the Metroplexes too, since there seems to be more than a few people who've gotten knockoffs instead of real reissues from legit dealers on accident. I have Jazz, Starscream, Skywarp, Thundercracker, Hoist, Trailbreaker, Ratchet and Ironhide from the Encore line and want a Metroplex (with fingers crossed that I get a real one, whenever that may be) and have already preordered the Encore cassette sets and two of Bruticus. I admit I'm partial the the TC series because I like the bookstyle format (that was a nice quality about the Hasbro reissues too), but overal Encore's very good.

6. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have the Encore Ratchet- and some have had differing opinions on him- and i like the quality of him.

he does have one loose part- a tank tread for his base mode, but since i am keeping him MIB, don't bother me one bit.

for the money and availability, Encores are a great alternative to filling up your GeeWun void.

7. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have all the Encores thus far released save for Omega Supreme, and the quality is fantastic on all of them. No complaints.

8. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Funny - I have none of the Encores thus far released except for Omega Supreme, and he's great. No quality issues there.

9. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

Next best thing to the vintage originals.

10. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Let's see....I have:

Megatron
    Starscream
    Omega Supreme
    Ironhide Ratchet
    Jass
    Minibots
    Trailbreaker
    Skywarp/Thundercracker

Quality on each is great (exept Megatron, but I haven't opened him yet so I just don't know) and I for one really like the new paint apps.

11. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    I have all of them and they are mostly worth it except for a few minor complaints.

With that said,

i'll still keep buying them as long as they release them:lol 

12. Galva-Cannon

Galva-Cannon Well-Known Member

I've only got Ratchet and Ironhide from the Encore series, but I was very impressed by the quality of both.

13. Deathcubek

Deathcubek Active Member

I just recently got Omega Supreme and Sky-Lynx and they are amazing figures. The Encore line is your second chance to own your favorite toys again but brand new.

14. Soran

Soran Starscream Fanboy

They're quite ok in quality. Some things are bound to change (The type of paint on the die-cast parts should be different from the lead-ridden paint used on the original G1 toys)

Encore allowed me to buy the Seekers that my father refused to buy for me more than 20 years ago....MUAHAHAHAHA!!!

15. perithimus

perithimus Well-Known Member

I have all up until jazz and I have Omega Supreme. The quality on them is very good I think. Very much worth it.

16. 0ptimus__Prime

0ptimus__Prime Autobot Commander

News Credits:
    I only have Encore Jazz.

Great figure, doors are extremely loose and tend to fall off. But other than that he's a nice figure.

17. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I have Ratchet, Omega Supreme & Sky Lynx; no QC issues with any of them.

18. Prescient

Prescient Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The quality of my metroplex encore is so poor I thought it was a fake. From the ones I have they are not as good as the TFC / Hasbro reissues were.

Still they are cheap. Cheap enough to be played with as well imo.