Takara Car Robots Brave Maximus vs the Korean Version

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by escutler, Oct 3, 2012.

1. escutler

escutler Decepticon Air Commander

News Credits:
    In all of the discussions today about the Fortress Maximus Encore Reissue (YESS!!!), I saw some discussions about Brave Max, and how there was a Korean version of him. I only recently found out that there are Korean versions of Car Robots and Beast Wars figures, and it seems like the figures are identical (or pretty close to it) to the original Takara ones. I bought one of the Korean Big Convoys and love him!

Now, I bought a complete Brave Max (no box) off eBay a couple of years ago, before I knew that there was a Korean version of this toy. Research shows that a company called Sonokong released it in Korea.

So, my questions are this- can you tell the difference between the Takara and Sonokong versions of Brave Max by just looking at the figure and/or accessories and/or instructions? Are there company stamps that differ between the two versions (i.e. "Takara Japan" vs. "Sonokong Korea" or something)? Would the Korean Brave Max be considered inferior quality in any way to the Takara one? Is the Korean one less sought after by collectors?

I am pretty curious to find out if my Brave Max is the Takara release or the Sonokong one, and if Sonokong, should I feel ripped off in any way? If anyone can enlighten me, or provide a link to a page that provides details about these two versions, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Either way, can't wait until Mar/Apr for the Encopre Fort Max!

2. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There's an Autobot symbol on the tower that's upside-down in city mode on the Korean version. Otherwise, the toys are purportedly identical.

3. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    Yup, for a loose BM, the upside down Autobot logo is a give-away. Quality-wise, Sonokong is absolutely fine with all their products, including BM. Collectors will probably still rate the Takara / Japanese version as somewhat higher (and more valuable).

4. escutler

News Credits:
    Thanks- that should be an easy way to tell! I just found a photo of it now, also. When I get home, I will check the orientation of that symbol. So, if mine is the Korean one, should I be ticked off? Do people looking to buy Brave Max try to get the Takara one over the Korean one?

5. escutler

News Credits:
    Just saw your reply after I posted mine. Thanks for the info! Glad to hear that the quality is good on the Korean one. Not surprised that the Japanese one is considered to be more valuable, though.

I'll check tonight...