Takara cancels MP-01 reissue?

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Deefuzz, May 26, 2006.

1. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just got an email from BigBadToyStore declaring that my order for MP-01 reissue has been cancelled, and that the MP-04 Convoy+Trailer set is to be a replacement for the MP-01 reissue.

So no reissue...just the new $189.99 MP-04 version.

2. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

No real surprise there.

3. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just posted about that in the MP04 thread... I guess that answers that.

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Truth be told, I don't think it was ever confirmed that there would be a MP-1 Convoy reissue - just a new run of the toy. More than likely, that new run was always intended as MP-4. I've posted a fuller thought process in the other thread, but think of it from their point of view - sell a toy with something new, you catch all those who missed out before and all those who are willing to buy the toy again for the new content.

5. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

I'm surprised. I thought TakaraTomy was going for the world record of how many prime toy versions they could release.

6. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

I got the same email!!! damn-it that really sucks
    Here is the email :

Hi - I've just moments ago learned from Japan that the MP-01 Convoy release in June has been canceled. Takara will instead release the figure as part of the new MP-04 Giftset along with their all new full sized Convoy Trailer in September. Because of this change, we have canceled your preorder for the MP-01, if you'd like to order a Convoy and Trailer giftset.
    I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, its a rather unusual move for Takara, but the new Masterpiece Trailer is sure to be a great set.

Thanks!
    Joel
    www.bigbadtoystore.com

Sucks big time
    :banghead:  :thumbdown  :banghead: 

7. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anyone who wants Masterpiece Prime without the trailer need just check eBay over the coming months as those who want the trailer but already have MP01 sell off their stand-alone Optimus Primes.

8. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Masterpiece has jumped the shark.

9. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

This really sucks...
    The only way I will buy this is if the Trailer is 100x more impressive than the Hybrid Style Convoy trailer. And that was a very impressive trailer.

10. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Man they're having too much fun screwing with us. Seriously.

11. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

Makes sense to me.

12. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Indeed. Tomy are getting greedy. There were plenty of people who weren't going to pay $100 for the first version.
    How many are going to buy one that's twice the price??

13. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just tell me when "Masterpiece Pepsi Convoy" is ready. :) 

(SHHH!! Don't give 'em ideas!!)

14. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I wonder if people like me that originally paid just over $100 for the original mp will be able to recoup their costs on ebay. if that's possible, and there's enough demand, I'd definitely sell mine to be able to put the funds towards this one.

15. godsenddeath

News Credits:

I think there'll be a decent amount of people who want long smokestacks but aren't bothered with the trailer.

16. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Kickback: Damn bitches, I smack that ho with a rubba hose!

17. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah but you can get repro long stacks seperately for around $20 or so, and the battle damage can be removed. I don't think stacks alone will be reason enough to drop $200 on this thing. Sure won't be for me.

18. godsenddeath

News Credits:
    You're right, but i was refering to what Ckhtiger said about selling his MP01 and getting Mp04 :thumb 

Really, for this to not end up as a source of embarassment for Tomy, they need to come up with a rather impressive trailer

This new 'Collector focus' is starting to tick me off.,,,,,,,,,,,

19. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

If Takara has any brains left after this charade, maybe they'll give us the option to buy only the trailer. I for one will not buy another MP Prime just to get the trailer.

20. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    hey, people complain about Hasbro not thinking about the fandom and older buyers. Now Takomy starts paying attention to the Fandom, and their much larger disposable incomes and all people do is complain.

Hate hasbro for doing A and not B, Hate Takara for doing B and not A. Between Hasbro doing the Classics line and Takomy making some High end collector items, I really don't think people have a right to complain. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

Me, I'll be buying the Classics, as well as this new MP Convoy and Starscream. I'll even pre-order them (the takomy stuff anyways), because I don't want the companies that we have bitched about not listening to us, to be discouraged the second they start listening too us.

For them do do these items, they need to be profitable for them. You cannot expect them to make great stuff cheap. I especially see the Masterpiece figures as our Fandom's equivilent of those high grade LED light sabers. They are not items a kid will be getting with their allowances.

I will be showing my support for both companies that finally seem to be acknowledging.

I also think for about the same amount of money as the Botcon toy set for this year, MP=03 and MP-04 are a much better way of spending that money. Glad I didn't register for Botcon yet.

Interestingly these two toys are released at the same time as Botcon 2006, that is what I am wondering about. That just a coincidence, good set up for Holiday sales, or does Takomy anticipate selling to overseas people who like me will now be skipping Botcon in place of putting money in their pockets.

Oh well, seems like everything in life, you can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.