Takara Animated Leader Megatron Question?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by kenm2474, Apr 28, 2010.

1. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

Do you think since all the slight repaint and small details Takara is adding to the line that they will add a Purple Decepticon Logo on his chest like the original photo we saw befor he was released here? I added that on mine a long time ago with a few other small touches but wouldnt mind getting one by Takara if done right.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  2. JaAm_convoy

JaAm_convoy Shoulder Medicine

Well honestly we'll have to wait and see, I hope they add some of that shiny paint they've been giving the other figures :p  Or am I just imagining it?

3. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i wouldn't mind seeing how they paint Ldr. Megs.
    if they do it just so, i will try to preorder ASAP.

4. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

I never got the orig. colored one. I have the Shadow version, and I LOVE it. Obviously not true to the show, but this color scheme is amazing. I'd like to see a TakTom version of this color scheme.

5. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    agreed and it would almost be enough to get me to preorder one!

6. Type-R

Type-R blissed off my chonk!

News Credits:
    You can view a low quality image of TakaraTomy's version in this thread.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...figures-ultra-magnus-leader-megatron-etc.html

It appears to have metallic red and silver paint on some but not all parts. You can see the difference between the bare gray plastic and silver paint clearly on his cannon arm.

The 'con symbol looks like it might not be painted though it is quite hard to tell from the pic.

7. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    No, he will not have the Decepticon symbol colored in.

I wouldn't bother going the Takara route, it suffers the same problem that Starscream does with the half shiny, half not shiny paintjob. Plus the soundchip will be in Japanese and it'll cost like twice as much.

The Takara version has the silver and red shiny torso, shiny shoulders, shiny head, shiny blades, and shiny forearms. His gunplate, cockpit, legs, and back will not be shiny.

8. kenm2474

I forgot all about that. Hmmm thats going to suck.

9. kenm2474

I wonder why Hasbro never Painted the symbol like they showed on thier original pic of him. To me it just looks alot better in Purple rather than Red.

10. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Because if it were painted, the symbol would not light up for the light and sound gimmick. That's the main reason it was left clear plastic. It conducts the light better.

11. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Exactly, it would defeat the purpose of having a light up feature if they painted over it.

12. Mark94

Mark94 Well-Known Member

Why wasn't it made in clear purple plastic then?

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Maybe because his eyes and cockpit would have to be purple then because the clear parts are probably all moded on the same sprue. And since the colour of the faction logos didn't seem to be a priority for the toys (considering all the silver logos) it's better to sacrifice screen accuracy for that small detail rather than the eyes and cockpit.
    I would've preferred the faction logo in purple myself, but it's not a disaster to be red.

14. kenm2474

Then why did they paint over Ultra Magnuses Symbol? It shines just fine on mine the exact same as Magnus.

15. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    There's a huge difference between painting some detail lines and painting the symbol in its entirety. Especially getting purple plastic to light up and not look awful.

Exactly, it's a gang molded part, the eyes, the chest lines, the symbol, and the cockpit must all be the same color. Making it a different color and a piece on its own probably would've exceeded the design budget. As for faction symbols, not only did we get silver and gold for whatever reason, we didn't get any on the first release of Voyager Prime.

16. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would've liked the insignia itself to have been painted gold, leaving the lines untouched. Oh well, that's one of the things that I can paint up myself pretty easily.

17. kenm2474

You need to look at Magnuses symbol again. The entire face of the symbol plus the outgoing wings of the symbol are painted as well.

18. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I'm guessing the paint mask is already there to do the parts next to the the logo in red anyway so it's no huge hassle to include the logo and wings on the same mask and paint that at the same time.
    With Megatron you'd need the purple paint (of which there is no other instance on his body apart from what would be for the logo) and to make a mask for it which would probably add to the production cost. If done in clear coloured plastic then it changes the colour of too many other parts of his body. The Elite Guard symbol is a large part of Magnus' chest (he is Elite Guard leader after all) and would get lost along with the blue of his body if made in the same light blue plastic of his eyes/cannon tips/hammer parts. Also, I think all the Elite Guard Members had their Autobot logos in the correct red colours (except Longarm - he was Elite Guard wasn't he? But then he had that rotating logo on the toy)
    In the end the designers and people costing the production of this figure probably looked at all these reasons and went with the red because it's cheaper.

Who knows exactly why for sure some things happen and some don't. I would suggest asking for the next Hasbro Q&A but it's probably not one of the 'allowed' subjects that would get an answer.