takara and hasbros worst and best transformers toys released

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by tfomegaprime, Jun 18, 2012.

1. tfomegaprime

tfomegaprime tail pipe

what is opinion on what are Hasbro's and Takara's best and worst transformers toys they've ever made and sold

2. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Here's mine:

1. PRID Airachnid

After all the gems we got in the PRID line, we got this figure. For a deluxe toy, her transformation is extremely simple and to top it off, her bot mode is terrible. Get her only if you find her heavily discounted.

2. FE Vehicon

In all intents and purposes, the FE line is supposed to stomp all over the PRID main line but IMO this is the only FE that falls short. An unsightly back kibble, hands that can barely hold it's guns, relying on a slot to peg the weapon.

The only saving grace is the vehicle mode...but then again how many of ys display our TFs in vehicle modes?

3. ROTF bike sisters.

Transformation can be overly complexed and the bot modes...the less said the better.

4. ROTF Demolisher

Transformation is interesting but the bit mode seems lazy IMO.

5. MP Megatron

I really want to love this toy. I really do after all, Megatron is my 2nd fave TF besides Optimus but this toy leaves much to be desired.

The face sculpt looks nothing like Megs and the limbs are simply too thin. Mine can't even hold his fusion cannon now.

I hope TakaraTomy can do a good job on version 2 and I rather they compromise on the gun mode and give us a better mode mode. If 3rd party can give us a decent Megatron, surely TakaraTomy can deliver.

Other mentions include ROTF toys like Skids and Mudflap for the diffuculty in tranforming them and some BW toys that are shell formers, which I'm sure others will mention.

3. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^Armada Sideswipe is worse than all of those combined.

4. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Fortress Maximus!

News Credits:
    Oh god, the Armada/ Micron Legends toys come to mind. shudder*

5. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    I think the upcoming MP Soundwave might be the best transformer from Takara/Hasbro, for me just looking at the pics it looks crazy accurate. The last transformers that I felt the same for were ROTF leader prime and the Binaltech line and those were released a while back, since then it's been a few MP figures and some other figures here and there that has had any appeal to me.

The worst figures released, just like the best, is subjective. I don't have any because I only buy what I like, I'm not like others who collect for the sake of completing or have to have everything released from a line. If I picked some though, I remember thoroughly disliking the Energon & Armada figures. When I see some of those figures it makes me shudder.

6. [Wing_Saber-X]

News Credits:
    ^Amen to that! :lol 

7. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    I beg to differ.

There are some pretty good molds there...

I dunno about the rest of you boys but I'm loving my Magna Convoy. :D 

8. [Wing_Saber-X]

News Credits:
    Ok, ok..fine..aside from Magna Convoy... :p 

9. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

Beast Wars as both, since there are people on both sides of the fence with that one.

10. Automorpher

News Credits:
    No.

There's Overload & Sideways as well.

A motorcycle with free switching in Bot or Con mode infused into a "Headmaster" concept is pretty cool. (Though I don't collect Con pieces)

Did I hear Energon mentioned here?

Well again, my Omega Convoy/Supreme Prime holds his head up high against that comment. (And I'm willing to bet that Wing Saber disagrees with that quote as well)

Believe me when I say there are alot more competent molds in Energon line/series. :) 

11. opt1musaber

News Credits:
    As a whole Armada & Energon were crap imo. The odd good figure was far too scarce and didn't make up for it. I highly doubt Energon can beat any other line besides Armada.

12. AMG

AMG Old School

Best? Listing what I feel is awesome from Hastak would take too long. So many great bots out there.

Worst? RotF supreme Devastator. What a piece of junk.

13. opt1musaber

News Credits:
    hahaha, How did I forget that pos.

14. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I didn't consider Armada or Energon in the line because I really feel that those 2 lines were heavily geared towards kids. I know a lot will say that aren't TFs geared towards the kids? Yeah, but IMO the 2 lines were designed to be extremely kids oriented.

It has been acknowledged that Armada saved the franchise (by how much does anyone know?) but I suspect the minicon gimmick probably helped improved sales.

I can also forgive ROTF Devestator as he was cleared aimed at the kids and to have each individual Contruction combined would be a killer in terms of price. Besides, we never saw the individual Contruction transform so it's pretty accurate! LOL!

I'm hard on my worst list because based on today's engineering standards, the ones I listed are disappointing to me.

I forgot to address the best and to a certain extent, I agree...there have been too many great TFs.

Here's some of mine:

1. Leader Class Movie Optimus Prime

For its engineering, sculpt and price point, I rate this as one of the best TFs ever to be released by TakaraTomy and Hasbro. I recommend the Striker version, followed by Buster.

2. MP Optimus Prime version 2

He could have and should have been my no. 1 but 2 factors cost him:

i. His price is pretty steep. Let's hope Toy R Us keeps him at a decent price and hope Habro doesn't skimp on the QC.

ii. The back portion of his cab is abit unsightly but the trailer covers it well.

3. G1 Megatron

Bot mode is blocky but looks menacing and his alternate mode rocks. His attachment can also combine to form a gun of sorts. His transformation is pretty involved for his time.

4. G1 Optimus Prime

Same like G1 Megs with the playability of his trailer doubling up as a play set.

5. Combiners + Metroplex gimmicks

Love the G1 combiners. Other than Predaking, the g1 toon combiners could exchange limbs with each other.

They had a gimmick with Metroplex also where they can dock or be added to him. I lost the online instructions if not, I would post pictures.

15. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

First I've ever heard of that. Stick around long enough, every other series "Saves the franchise".

16. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

It's a pretty common sentiment. Armada was a huge hit, and the series had sorta been running on fumes for a while. Saved may be a slight overstatement, but it was a desperately needed boost right when the franchise needed it. Beast Wars is a similar success story.

17. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

I really don't know cause frankly I pick and chose which to buy. But I also watch what I buy as well in figures and read alot on here which to buy and not buy.

18. Automorpher

News Credits:
    Well it certainly beats G1. (In terms of articulation) :lol 

It gave us some good molds (Omega Supreme, Wing Saber, Megatron, Tidal Wave to name a few.)

There's no denying on that.

If you're talking about certain figures in a series that are bad, then I'm sure that every series will have figures that are lacklustre in one way or another.

Did Armada save the franchise? Maybe & maybe not but I know for sure that the TFs line were revived with the debut of Beast Wars. I'm sure there are others here who will remember just how phenomenal & successful that series have been.

Toys wise:

The shelves were always near empty & you can barely find a show character hanging on the pegs. (Especially if you're talking about Maximals.)

19. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    RID reignited interest in vehicular Transformers, Armada/Micron Legend was a big hit after Takara was all but done with TF's after Car Robots (which bombed in Japan IIRC).

Most Armada toys were good fun, I had a blast with all of them so I wouldn't call any of them the worst. Indeed even if the line was heavily gimmick oriented (ie, and superlink ability of Energon Autobots) I got enough fiddle time with them to justify them. IE linking Upper body Energon Ironhide onto lower body Deluxe Optimus Prime equals misshapen hilarity.

Stuff I bought and hardly ever touched though...

PCC Double Clutch. This guy sticks in my mind for some reason. Can't remember what it was though... QC? He pop apart too often or something?

ROTF Previews Soundwave. WTF man?

ROTF Arcee/Chromia. When your deluxes are outdone by the considerably smaller versions from the HA line you know you're in trouble.

Animated Voyager Cybertron Megatron. Could have been good, but wasn't.

Energon Snowcat. I loved the idea of GIJoe/TF crossovers but this guy was a piece if crap that hardly held together right in either mode. COnsidering he was sharing space with some of the best deluxes ever (Energon Starscream, I'm looking at YOU) there was no excuse for him.

Best,

Energon Starscream/Superlink Nightscream. Was a 'remold'. Everybody wanted to hate him when he was announced, turned out to be the best thing in the Energon line.

RID Spychangers. Brought us miniaturised goodness before Legends/Cyberverse. who can look at Spychanger Ultra Magnus and Scourge and not be in awe of them? NO ONE.

G1 Metroplex. Versatility, I'm looking at you! Sure you need imagination to get the most out of this guy, but he's still one of the best.

'07 Movie Arcee. I like her a lot, I don't really know why. Maybe I just like bikes.

Lastly, G1 Soundwave. Pure love.

20. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't know what you could identify as the worst, but Armada was a few steps back from Car Robots, and Armada was my G1. Beast Machine's Toyline was a whole lot of crap too, most notably because they were nothing like the onscreen counterparts and set in all sorts of bizarre scales.

Some of the best stuff has come recently though. I find the Best Deluxes are found in Animated and the ongoing Classics/Generations. The movie lines claim some of the best scouts we've ever had. Leaders and voyagers are a toss up though.