Tai Fong 'Blaster' clone - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boba Fettuccini, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Boba Fettuccini

Boba Fettuccini Culinary Mandalorian

Hi everyone, Boba Fettuccini here. I'm relatively new. I've been active on Toyark for about a year, but decided to head over here as well to get information from real hardcore fans.

I found the Tai Fong AM Radio robot at a store around here and managed to get it for under $1. I picked it up because I love old stereo equipment and thought a ghettoblaster Transformer was too cool to pass up. When I got home and did some research, I found out this is a desirable knockoff bot due to the fact it was actually a working AM radio. Unfortunately, its previous owner gutted it. The radio is no longer inside.

Now here comes the big question: As collectors, would you rather buy this as is - moderate condition, unaltered, but missing pieces, or would you be more interested in it restored to new functionality? And I don't mean wiring in a new AM radio, I'm actually thinking of going head on, all the way and modifying it to house a small MP3 player. I know some collectors would rather keep things in their original state, even if damaged, while some people would be more interested in having something repurposed.

so I just thought I'd ask and get some opinions... transforming MP3 player, y/n?

2. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Welcome to TFW2005!

I'd love to see a picture if you have one :)  As for your question, if you are going to sell him and if I am interested, I'd probably rather have him as is. Although I can imagine some kitbashers would love to see how a repurposed version turns out.

3. Boba Fettuccini

Yeah, here's pictures of it. Sorry it took so long, but I've been busy.

Attached Files:

4. Jetfire87

Jetfire87 Member

I had him in the 80s. He was pretty cool and was about the size of Blaster I think. I wouldnt mind picking up one of those again just for old times sake.

5. Boba Fettuccini

Well what do you guys think this would be worth as-is? I already have a few people interested in the idea of turning it into an MP3 player too, so I just wanna make sure this makes it to a home where it will get the most appreciated.