Tabs stop opening

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by ninety, Jan 18, 2009.

1. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    When I'm on TFW I open a lot of tabs to read threads, after a while I can't open anymore, and eventually the right click menu won't open.

Unless I restart the computer it just doesn't want to play ball, is there a way to prevent this? What causes this? I'm guessing it's something to do with memory, but I'm not very computery.

I'm running XP with IE7.

My thanks in advance for any help.

2. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    There's your problem. Try Firefox or Chrome :D 

If it was memory you'd have other problems with using and opening other applications. Further, closing IE should free up your memory without a reboot.

Can you close tabs and then open new ones once this problem starts? Also, there should be a key command to close tabs. I'm not familiar with IE, but modern browsers usually have this feature. ctl+w maybe (?)

3. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    As you say, i should probably get Firefox, I'm just lazy with computer stuff, learning to use a new browser puts me off, it's going to be straightforward though isn't it?

As an example I'll go into a forum, then open several threads in a tab each, closing each one as I'm finished with it. Eventually if I try to open a tab, it opens but sticks on 'connecting', I'll close it, but I then have to click on each thread individually, which is time consuming.

Opening other apps. isn't a problem, even after the tab thing appears, presumably it's something 'net related.

When I say "eventually", I mean after an hour or two, looking at the clock, I've been here about three hours tonight!

Thanks for your help man.

4. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I had the same problem a while back... Firefox is ridiculously easy to adjust to and I don't see myself flipping back to IE ever =)

5. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    FTR, Firefox has the same issue. I've had it happen multiple times over the last few weeks so I don't think it's a browser problem. Closing the tab and re-opening usually fixes it.

Side note: I will never switch back to IE.

6. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    Thanks guys, I'll check out Firefox.