Tabformers... more pain then meets the eye.....

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, May 25, 2012.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    You know, G1 always get so much flack for being bricks, but I gotta say, the new figures, while they look nice in Robot mode are not Transformers. They are annoying fiddly tabformers.

So, I have been thinking of selling my WFC/Prime Collection. I have been transforming them back into Alt modes. Holy shit, I haven't transformed them in so long (The WFC crap) that I remember why I never transform them.

They are annoying, fiddly tabformers. This tab goes here, that tab goes there, these feet must be lined up exactly like this, or that doesn't match that, then it doesn't tab in. You gotta be kidding me right?

The best part, yeah, the instructions don't tell you shit. Nada, zip, zilch. They tell you, your fucked, haha. Literally, I was playing around with the CJ/BB mode for a good 10-15 before I had to look up pictures and look for little nuances of the transformation.

The best part, the tabs don't fit well together. Fantastic. You gotta force the shit out of them. Well, at least I had to on my BB. CJ was fine. So let me get this straight here, you make a toy that if there is a slight bit of plastic extra, the vechicle does NOT stick together how it should. TABFORMERS! Real smart there. Because, yes with Tabformers, if every tab is not stuck together right, then it's messed up.

Good luck parent wanting to play with their child. Yeah, good luck transforming these! Yeah, right! Return it to the store.

I know we are all collectors here, and don't realize this, but tabformers are not fun. They are not fun for the parents, and not fun for the kids when the car cannot stay together properly.

I said this to a bud of mine. You know what G1 can do. They can roll in alt mode with NO PROBLEMS. Good luck with that on a Tabformer.

Another thing. I had a junker Astrotrain I gave to my 3 year old son. Guess what, he loves it. He transforms that thing into all 3 forms, and he plays with it. Yes, plays with IT! What a novel idea for a toy.

So to clarify, it is not that kids don't play with toys anymore, it's that they don't play with Tabformers. My son loves my G1 collection! He gets frustrated with any thing else that is not. I understand he is 3. But, if a 7 year old likes to transform WFC BB, then I am sure that same kid loves getting poked in the eye with a pitch fork.

Literally, my favorite part of last night is my son looking at me and picking up WFC Bumblebee and saying, "Daddy, can you transform this for me?" I recalled it being a pain in the ass, and I told him I would do it today before he got home from School. His response, "But why?". Yeah, "son, because these blow balls. I need a good 20 minutes to tab these in, push the tabs in, line everything up, and I probably cannot do it, without full damn concentration". Well, I didn't tell him that, but I wanted to.

So damn you tabformers. Whoever made you should lose their jobs. These are toys people. TOYS.

2. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Rescue Bots are a bit like G1, and there are some other simpler TransFormers. Personally, I love the newer TransFormers toys. I find that the more complex transformations (which I love, they're all like a puzzle, and I love puzzles!) allow the robot and vehicle modes to be more accurate to their on-screen appearances. Some of the G1 toys are fun too, like Blitzwing. My grandma has one in the tub of toys for whenever us kids come over, and every time I could care less about the other toys, I just want to play with Blitzwing! He's even missing a few parts and the legs don't slide out, but he's still really fun!

"TabFormers" have their place. I personally prefer them over others, but to each their own I guess. :) 

3. ahro23

ahro23 Omnibot

I keep hearing a lot of complaints about the WFC BB/CJ mold but I never really had a problem with transforming them or getting them to roll. I laugh at the thought of a 6 year old trying to do it though.

4. AMG

AMG Old School

I agree with your rant completely. I absolutely hate Transformers that are complicated just for the sake of it. I always have and I always will.

5. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    I have to agree with the WFC Bumblebee/Cliffjumper mold; it's a pain in the ass to get it into vehicle mode because of all the tabs. Make one mistake and you have to start all over.

Glad I sold them. :D 

6. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

I'd rather have a few overly fiddily TFs with too many tabs than TFs crippled by a lack of them/locking sections in robot mode.

It's one of my biggest TF pet peeves. I can really like a figure, but if his chest, or back, or whatever doesn't tab in and moves every time I move its arm it's a huge annoyance.

... freaking 07 Wreckage. Such a nice figure ruined by the automorph.

7. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    I'll take your WFC and Prime collection if you don't want them anymore....

8. Alucard77

News Credits:
    As a collector, I like puzzles as well. The problem is, as a collector I don't want to stress something. So the BB I had, there was too much plastic on the tab. So literally I had to force the tab in. That's the main problem with Tabformers. If there is any factory mistake, your toast. The thing won't stick together right.

Yeah, that's the thing. That should be the target for these guys. A 6 year old. Not a 13 year old. Ask most 13 year olds, they are not playing with TFers. Maybe if you got them hooked at 6 they may still buy a couple here and there.

On a complete side note, seeing Trypticon walk was more fun then I had with ANY of my classics, WFC or Prime TFers. Simple shit can be really fun.

Oh god, don't get me started on automorph. Who is that supposed to be easier for? I think Hasbro, because I see more figures broken by automorph then anything else.

9. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

After reading, the majority of your rant seems to be based off of the idea that WfC BB/CJ are representative of the entire trend in recent Transformer toys as a whole.

The only figure that I honestly could say is a WORSE choice for making that claim would be ROTF Leader Jetfire. I mean, of the 4 WfC molds from Generations, the BB/CJ mold is easily the most complicated but that's because it tries to do its best to look game accurate. But, if you look at another WfC mold like Soundwave, the transformation is far and away much less "tabforming" and is much easier.

Yes, G1 figures are much easier to transform, but they are from an earlier era when Hasbro's production methods were different. Many G1 cars, etc. can roll on the round extremely well, but more often than not it's because of the rubber tires, which have more grip to the almost non-existent grip on most plastic wheels. They also lack articulation in most cases, so now it's a question of balancing difficulty of transformation with articulation. Additionally, with G1 figures you need to partsform more often than not, and it's all too easy to loose parts if you're not careful.

Finally, your major source of "Evidence" that kids like easier transformations is from your own son. While I do not doubt you are lying about him liking your G1 figures more than more recent ones, there is no way he is representative of the target audience for these toys. I know a 7 year old kid who loves the hell out of his DOTM Jolt and can transform him with ease. Now, if THAT figure doesn't count as what you consider a "tabformer", then I don't know what does. But that doesn't make the kid I know representative of Hasbro's target audience, either.

10. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Well, we know that Hasbro has realized what I said because they are simplifying their TFers as of late. So, I do know it is from my own son who is way too young. But it is also from me as a parent having to transform said item for him. As a collector, if I get annoyed, can you imagine a non collector parent?

Also, I do agree the BB/CJ is horrible and there are definitely better tabformers out there.

But the problem with these tabformers is that they lose their playability. Sure if you want a puzzle, they are good.

However, if you want to drive the car then transform it for some cool battle, then flip back to car mode to run away, there is no way to do that. With G1 it is really simple to do something like that.

I am not sure why there cannot be that balance. I think that's what these new toys are missing.

11. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree completely here. The "woooaaah awesome" complex transformations are cool the first time, but then they become a freaking pain.

I have 7 TFs near my desk right now, but they are ALL Cyberverse because I can actualy mess with them without having a mental breakdown, I have no idea how kids are faring with those because not even I, a big dumb nerd, can stand that kind of engineering anymore, the mere thought of transforming ROTF Optimus makes me want a Prozac.

12. Alucard77

News Credits:
    TBH, the classics legends figures are some of my favorites in the new line. Like you said, you can have fun PLAYING with them. Instead of saying,

"where the F does this thing go. I know it tabs there, but what do I need to move to tab that there? Oh, it's the ankle, ok, let me rotate that. WTF, why did this just pop off it's ball joint, I barely touched it! Ok, let me pop that back on and rotate it. Does that fit, hum, something else is blocking it. Oh, I gotta rotate that 180 degrees. Damn, now I gotta do that ankle piece again cause now its backwards. Oh, wtf, popped off the ball joint again! Really?"

Yeah, that happened.

13. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    wfc bb/cj is by far one of the worst culprits of this.

I don't mind tabs so much as long as it's only a couple points at the most on a figure. with wfc bb everything has to be aligned perfectly or it just won't work. think that has to do with the smaller tab points too. some of the figures that work off of larger tab hinges click and lock fine, like alts/bt.

I think wfc bb was designed solely to piss people off though.

14. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    I was a kid and I played with G1 figures. You know what happened when the launcher of my G1 Jazz broke at the attachment point? It stayed broken. And when his rear windshield broke, it also stayed broken.

Modern figures avoid that. WFC Bumblebee is notoriously difficult to transform because of very tight tolerances. Yet he rolls perfectly no matter what you do.

I for one, am ecstatic about tabs on transformers. They keep parts locked together, avoiding limp limbs in robot mode [think Energon Slugslinger], parts just staying together due to gravity\joint strength and generally make the figure much more stable.

Also, many people keep quoting 1984-1986 figures as examples, but those were from lines that came together to form transformers. The first, as in originally made to be transformers, were the 1986 movie figures, am I right? Would G1 Kup or Blurr be as fun and entertaining?

15. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Your getting older?
    I mean, that's all I got and really, it just takes patience.

16. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

I have to say, years and years ago when my nephew got a Alternators Grimlock for his birthday, and he transformed it way faster than I did (with instructions in lap, no less, and I still popped half the things joints out), I don't know if complex/'tabformers' are really any more difficult the alternative, based on ones body of experience.

17. jru42287

jru42287 Where are my testicles, Summer?

News Credits:
    Personally, after transforming each one a few times when I first get them, I don't really have a problem with them later on. WfC Cliffy and Bee don't bother me at all. In fact, the extended transformations on a lot of the newer toys is fun for me because it's a bit of a challenge. I'd rather have something to fiddle with for a while that looks completely different from when I started, than something that I move two pieces and it's still a brick, but in a slightly different way.

The only toy I haven't gotten used to yet is Leader Sentinel. He is a pain in the ass. However, that's slightly my fault too, because I never took the time to really learn him. He just went straight up for display.

Anyway, I'd say if you don't like the stuff, quit buying it. Simple as that. Leave it for the people that appreciate it.

18. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I am trying to do WFC Optimus now. I think I hate this whole damn line.

Seems Soundwave is the saving grace in this line.

19. jru42287

jru42287 Where are my testicles, Summer?

News Credits:
    Admittedly, Prime is a very complex transformation for being a deluxe. And it can be frustrating at first, but he's still a bitchin' figure.

20. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Right, but this "complexity" doesn't add to playability. They are toys. I guess that is my point.

Plus, there is nothing more annoying then a transformation that doesn't make sense. His does not make sense. It's not like, well if I turn this here, then that should line up with that. It's a fucking rubics cube.