TAAO #11

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by NexusPrime, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Oh man, issue 12 is going to be a dosey.

• Like Like x 2
  2. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

I'll note there was Resurrection Ore nearby when BB died. So.

Also: Luuuved this issue. So much emotional knife twisting!

Suddenly? Bumblebee has been his voice in the head confidant for a couple years now... not at all friendly at first, but between him and WB convincing him to make the right call more often and in turn gaining some more respect for Screamer. And Starscream is open with him because he thinks BB isn't real.

They aren't exactly friends but he's about as close as Starscream gets and it's been building for some time.

• Like Like x 2
  3. GoLion

GoLion Sé que me estás robando

News Credits:
    You ever hear of Jiminy Cricket? Their relationship is something akin to that.

4. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

I'd pretty much characterize it as Bumblebee trying to convince Starscream to consider Windblade a friend.

And I think it says something that Starscream, 'for some reason,' was only considering Windblade in the personal context, and only the very end of the issue did he even consider how she might be politically useful too. He went to Airarchnid *first*, then realized she might be useful vs Elita-One.

5. goudan

goudan Bumblebee all the way

News Credits:
    'cause I thought SS just take Bee as a counter-example.

6. goudan

goudan Bumblebee all the way

News Credits:
    Yes, I do. I got it now.

7. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

That's what he says, but flipside- I mean, his speech right here. Every time he thinks he's not alone, life punishes him, often in the form of Megatron. He's so afraid of admitting others are close, and it's not hard to understand why. Heck, the only other time I can remember him calling someone a friend was Metalhawk right before he killed him.

Plus for using Bee for counter-examples, he did side with Bee on two out of three of his big recent political decisions.

Starscream has so many complexes, and some of them are being worn away by the peace and having people he really, really can count on, but he's not at a point where he can admit any of it to himself and Windblade being hurt is making those emotions bubble up and come head-to-head with his complexes about not relying on people.

• Like Like x 3
  8. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

Oh hey, minor note- the doctor is a new character. I'm guessing he's either a Nail or a Colonist. Money on Nail since he doesn't look Camien, and Starscream would more likely trust a non-aligned to work on Windblade.

9. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    Moreover, it's clearly Prime Ratchet, since Scott and Pitre Durocher love Prime, and Ratchet is in Lost Light.

• Like Like x 1
  10. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    I wonder if Bumblebee will sacrifice himself to save Windblade (and Starscream's soul by proxy). Or... will Scott kill Starscream on her way out? No one will be able to top her take on the character, and it would be a doozy of a way to realize his character arc.

11. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

On Starscream dying: Oh no way, he's so much of what makes Cybertronian politics a thing.

Hopefully OP will visit Cybertron now- granted Barber's not Scott, but he can still do a pretty good Starscream.

On Bumblebee:... hm, I wouldn't bet on it, but it wouldn't be out of the question.

12. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    Yeah, we know Starscream appears in First Strike #1, so he can't die in TAAO.

13. Heliblade

Heliblade Autobot Vigilante of Kaon

Plot twist: Bumblebee hijacks Starscream's body.

14. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Well-Known Member

I should add, as a lifelong Bumblebee hater, that his comic has done the exceptional: I actually like how Bumblebee is being portrayed. He and Starscream are great together. Also, a nuanced Starscream? What?! Damn't IDW, if I were rich I'd pay you whatever the cost to make this comic live again.

• Like Like x 8
  15. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can we please stop with this; "the crossover ruined the comics", nonsense? The fan stop buying the comic and it's ending becusce of that. This happens to DC and Marvel all the time and they still do events and fans still buy them even though they say they hate them so much online.

• Like Like x 2
  16. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

I will say that TAAO actually handled Titans Return *really* well.... as in, most of the rest of the event is skippable but the the TAAO side used it to deal with established plot points directly related to this comic and leading to development things.

Meanwhile, Combiner Wars did make things hard on the predecessor book- crossovers can make things tough story-wise even if they are part of the comic life cycle.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Miniautoquintessoboticon

Crossovers, due to their often mixed reception, tend to be the easy scapegoat to blame when sales of other comics suffer. It's not fair, but it's what a lot of people do.

18. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

I think that Scott handled the imposed events (well, both the Revolution and the Titan Returns) really well and managed to make them an organic part of the plot.

If BB managed to actually influence Starscream into being even only a slightly better person it would mean that, after already being successful with Megatron, he got better rate of success at it than Optimus. Bee's somewhat naive idealism can be contagious, lol.

I still think that if he displayed spine before, instead of being forever crippled by self-doubt, he'd be a better leader for peace time than Optimus.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  19. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Swoopatron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Have redownloaded all my issues of TAAO and am going to have a marathon before the next issue. Am going to miss this comic :( 

20. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

Those two things aren't mutually exclusive. Some fans may have stopped buying the comic in part because it didn't get enough of a chance to develop its own identity before it was handling incoming plotlines from other comics.

Scott handled that crossover very well indeed, but it was a very early stage in a comic's life to have to deal with the ramifications of events outside of its own storyline.

I have no idea what point you're trying to make by comparing this to Marvel and DC, but I have indeed dropped Marvel series for precisely that reason.

• Like Like x 3