Symptoms of the Collector Bug. Casual collectors beware!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Savage590, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Savage590

Savage590 Cybertronian Werewolf

Ebay:
    My friend who mainly collects Batman stuff has been hanging around me too much. Now he's starting to buy TFs almost as much as I do. It all started with an Alternator Prime, now he has Mirage, Meister, Wheeljack, Primus, titanium Prime, Jetfire, Axelion, GF Prime, Cybertron bendy Prime, Skywarp, CD Hot Shot, Cannonball, in a matter of weeks!! I thought it was funny so I told him the stages of the collector bug symptoms that will ultimately leads to heavy TF infestations in our houses.

Stage 1: I think Transformers are cool. But I won't buy it.
    Stage 2: Ok, I'll just buy this one that I think is pretty cool.
    Stage 3: Hey, this other one is pretty cool too! Maybe I get it to keep my lone TF company.
    Stage 4: Oh Crap! Now I have too much good guys, I'll have to get a few bad guys to even it out!
    Stage 5: Fine, I'll only get the ones I see on the TV show.
    Stage 6: Hey, these other guys that didn't make it to the show are pretty cool too!
    Stage 7: ARGHHHH!!! Now I want the the ones I've been seeing for the last 20 years!! But I WILL NOT BUY REPAINTS!!
    Stage 8: What?!! They got retooled ones too?! Fine, I'll get them, but no repaints!!
    Stage 9: That's it, I give up. I'll buy every TF that has ever came out, repaints, originals, and everything in between.
    Stage 10: I'll now buy everything that has "Transformers" slapped on it. Including lunch boxes, stationery, bed sheet, T shirts, beach towels, tooth brush, furniture, sandwich, bacon, canadian bacon, bug spray, shaving cream, deodorant, lamp shades, CD rack, etc.
    Stage 11: I'm now officically bankrupted, and my diet consists mainly of plastic and diecast. :rip 

By the way, I wrote this post as a joke. Just in case anyone got a little sensitive with their TFs collecting habits. So no angry PMs and thread bashing please. :wink:  Personally, I think I'm at stage 8. :lol 

2. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    :lolol 

I am in between stage 8 and 9

I think this works for toy collecting in general..

3. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

Same thing sort of happened with me when i got back in it at the end of beast wars. I was walking down the isle and saw Transmetal II megatron thought it was cool and got it some time afterwards. Then I thought he needed some troops to command. After that they needed to fight someone so I got some maximals. Then beast machines came out and thought the vehicles were nice so I got all the vehicons and maximals that came out...then the return of decepticons in RID so I started to troop build decepticons...then autobots...then when alternators came out I reveresed and now I'm back to 13 figures on my shelf.

4. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

Im currently at stage 7, but I skipped steps 1-3

5. Hound_Dawg

Hound_Dawg Shinki,Braves,TF's Oh my!

i am 8-9, joke or not that pretty accurately discribes my friends and my collecting habits LOL oh, and my kids don't mind plastic and diecast for breakfast.....keeps em regular LOL

6. zephon

zephon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm at stage 8 with my binaltech collecting..... good thing Alternators are quite scarce here in Manila, Philippines.

7. LadyStarscream

LadyStarscream Queen of Cybertron

That's funny!
    I finally broke down with repaints, but when they do repaints of repaints of repaints, that's where I draw the line.

Armada Demolisher and Cyclonus - sure!
    Powerlinx Armada Demolisher and Cyclonus - well, only to complete the series!
    KB Exclusive Armada Demolisher and Cyclonus - fine, they are exclusives atleast.
    Cybertron Demolisher and Buzzsaw - NOOOOOOOOOOOOO I refuse.
    Any others I failed to mention of these two?

8. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I don't really fall into that list, I just want a complete collection of Alternators... and some of the Classics.

9. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    I went through stages 1 to 6 and skipped all the way to stage 11 :lol 

10. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I'm somewhere between stages 8 and 9. I buy practically anything but some things I don't fret about if they never turn up (like SWTFs)

11. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

My friend allowed me to buy a Alternator Grimlock, when he was in between on the decision to purchase him or Supreme Starscream. Thats was like 5 months ago and now i have a collection in the hundreds.

12. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

Pretty much the same boat for me, with the occasional Masterpiece or vintage item. I'm grabbing the 6" WWI Titanium ones too, because they tickle my fancy.

Although with Alternators I've really gone off the deep end. Not only will I buy anything they slap the Alternator name on, I'm even starting to create ones they didn't make through kitbashes. :cry 

13. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I used to be at step 9 in the Beast Wars days. Now I hover between 6 and 8 depending on mood and toy quality.

14. Nightscream

Nightscream JP TF Master Collector

Ebay:
    That's funny and frighteningly accurate! I am just past step 9, the 9.5 step I guess. I want everything and I want it boxed.

15. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm Stage 9 and will probably be at 10 one day when I have more money. I want EVERYTHING EVER MADE.

16. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Truthfully I think I am about to go into Stage 11 and beyond.. I got too many g1, BW, RiD, Armada, Energon, Cybertron, Alternator/Binaltech and with the Classics I am just about to go broke. I may have to start selling the ones I don't care about and only got those to complete my Decepticon army. I think in the future it's only Alt/Bt, Classics, G1, BW, and theme specific TFs like Hot Rod/Hot Shot, Nemesis, Starscream, and Megatron. I may start putting TFs on sale starting end of this year to cut down on space and make some of the money back. When I recently start collecting Autobot Alternators I had no idea it's gonna cost me $400-500 to get 10 Alts and a 20th Anniv Prime. I thought about it and decide it's worth much more to me to get them than some Armada or Energon toy so I will sell those I don't care about and use the money to buy the ones I really like and will keep around for a long long time.

17. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I sometimes estimate how much my collection so far has cost me and really regret throwing so much money away on...toys...but no matter what, I can't shake the apparent need to keep buying them, even when I truly can't afford them.

It's pretty screwed up :( 

Still, I can't imagine re-selling them. Predaking, don't do it! Just work hard to make money in other ways if you can :(  It makes me sad to see so many people on here always selling their stuff.

18. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yes, and stage 11 for me was 1986!

19. voltron2008

voltron2008 TFW2005 4 LIFE

great thread. Im a 6 1/2.

20. pmoverlord-1972

pmoverlord-1972 the enforcer of all

89-9 for me